Honored Contributor

Any LA Fitness members here?

My locally owned gym just sold out to LA Fitness.

The building where I work out has been a fitness club (originally a club for men only) since around 1900.

So far there have been only slight changes...but we are afraid they will reduce services.

Anyone an LA Fitness member?

Honored Contributor

Re: Any LA Fitness members here?

I just joined the new one they built in my town that opened December 6 so I don't have much experience with them since it's not 100% staffed yet and they don't have all the classes set.

But so far I llike it a lot. I like that it's less expensive than what I was paying, bettr hours, more equipment and more options.

We also have a pool.

I hear a ot of bad things about them and people post really horrible things on their Facebook page but I dont know how much of that is just general crabbiness or out of control expectations.

It's so far, so good for me.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Valued Contributor

we know lots of people that belong to LAF and are very happy with the class schedules and equipment, all use the pools too. we had joined 24hr F super sports before the LAF centers were built near us, and we were happy with the equipment, etc so didnt switch. We also have a private health club that I prefer for the individual training. I think you'll be pleased overall though.
Honored Contributor

On 1/2/2014 Fifi1 said: we know lots of people that belong to LAF and are very happy with the class schedules and equipment, all use the pools too. we had joined 24hr F super sports before the LAF centers were built near us, and we were happy with the equipment, etc so didnt switch. We also have a private health club that I prefer for the individual training. I think you'll be pleased overall though.

I have a personal trainer I see twice a week. I also do CrossFit classes the same trainer leads.

LA Fitness at first eliminated the XFit, now they may be bringing it back (it was a big moneymaker).

I have heard that LA Fitness isn't very strong re: personal training and heavier weights...

Only time will tell.

Valued Contributor

On 1/2/2014 terrier2 said:
On 1/2/2014 Fifi1 said: we know lots of people that belong to LAF and are very happy with the class schedules and equipment, all use the pools too. we had joined 24hr F super sports before the LAF centers were built near us, and we were happy with the equipment, etc so didnt switch. We also have a private health club that I prefer for the individual training. I think you'll be pleased overall though.

I have a personal trainer I see twice a week. I also do CrossFit classes the same trainer leads.

LA Fitness at first eliminated the XFit, now they may be bringing it back (it was a big moneymaker).

I have heard that LA Fitness isn't very strong re: personal training and heavier weights...

Only time will tell.

I'm Leary of "trainers" at large places like these in general, but some people don't mind. I'm not fond of the huge class size at our 24-fit, so that is why we kept our small, private club as well. Very personalized training and small classes for yoga, etc for convenience can't beat the large places! I'm happy between our two choices, and helps keep me fit!
Esteemed Contributor

Only time will tell.

DS belongs to a couple of fitness centers and LAF is one.

Beware of sales tactics that keep you signed up for what seems like the rest of your life. His center offers different levels of membership and he said the equipment is good quality.

For his heavy weight lifting he prefers another local gym to LAF. For scantily clad ladies in lycra LAF is better. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Honored Contributor

On 1/2/2014 Snowpuppy said:

Only time will tell.

DS belongs to a couple of fitness centers and LAF is one.

Beware of sales tactics that keep you signed up for what seems like the rest of your life. His center offers different levels of membership and he said the equipment is good quality.

For his heavy weight lifting he prefers another local gym to LAF. For scantily clad ladies in lycra LAF is better. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Snowpuppy - that's what I thought too! A lot of Olivia Newton John types at LA Fitness.

My former gym was "old school" - it even had handball and squash courts. It's downtown and a lot of lawyers and businesspeople go there. It used to be a men's club, with a gym, dining room and even rooms for overnight stays by members.

LA Fitness immediately took away the permanent lockers and the laundry service. But they are keeping prices the same - we can keep our current contracts and then renew them at the same rates for another year.

I used a new LA Fitness facility yesterday because the downtown location was closed. The minute I walked in the door, I was surrounded by salesmen! They seem to be very high pressure.

Honored Contributor

On 1/2/2014 Fifi1 said:
On 1/2/2014 Fifi1 said:

I have heard that LA Fitness isn't very strong re: personal training and heavier weights ...

I'm Leary of "trainers" at large places like these in general, but some people don't mind.

I've had personal trainers in all types of gyms/clubs over the years....Equinox (high-end private club), Lifetime (mid/upper-end large club) & 24Hr (big box gym)...and I've found the name tag doesn't determine the quality of the trainer...I pay for the knowledge between the ears. Two of my best trainers ever came from 24Hr. As for "heavier weights"...are the 50lb weights heavier @ the old club?! Huh? :/

Honored Contributor

On 1/2/2014 sidsmom said:
On 1/2/2014 Fifi1 said:
On 1/2/2014 Fifi1 said:

I have heard that LA Fitness isn't very strong re: personal training and heavier weights ...

I'm Leary of "trainers" at large places like these in general, but some people don't mind.

I've had personal trainers in all types of gyms/clubs over the years....Equinox (high-end private club), Lifetime (mid/upper-end large club) & 24Hr (big box gym)...and I've found the name tag doesn't determine the quality of the trainer...I pay for the knowledge between the ears. Two of my best trainers ever came from 24Hr. As for "heavier weights"...are the 50lb weights heavier @ the old club?! Huh? :/

I wasn't sure about the "heavier weight" phrase either, but when I went to the established LA Fitness gym yesterday, I saw the weight training area was much smaller than at my regular club.

Honored Contributor

Aw, terrier2, sounds like your old club was super nice....very "gentlemen"....yeah, there's a new sheriff in town....but it sounds like you have other clubs to try out. That's always fun...different parts of town have different clientele...mix it up! Smiley Happy