Honored Contributor

Re: Any Ideas....Pain in shoulders at night and numbness in arms and hands

For most of my professional life, I worked 60% in Ortho, so have a pretty decent knowledge base.  Last year I had a real need to address (1) post-surgical (Left knee replacement) ITB insertion pain caused by the surgeon's error during surgery; and, (2)  severe low back pain/spasms/radiating pain/left leg weakness.  After physical therapy was ineffective in both cases, I was told by both physician-surgeons that basically things with me were "so sad-too bad," as "you're 70 now, you know."  I looked at my spine doc and asked him how turning 70 had magically turned me into a hands-off patient vice a 69 year old patient.  He didn't answer my question - just stared at me.  I asked him, since he refused to answer my question AND since 2 weeks previously he had talked about a fusion at L4-5, that it sounded as though he was giving me the boot, so should I just leave?  Pretty much so, was his answer.

My sports/knee doc - HA!  After therepy only served to increase pain, as had spine therapy, I asked him for one, yes one, ITB insertion injection.  He refused!  I have 2 fabulous insurance policies, so have yet to make sense of any of this.

Some of us who have just turned 70 or turned 70 several years ago may already have experience some type of healthcare discrimation.  I know I have and it's not pretty.

You are telling it like it is. Ignore the nasty poster, she is a rude know-it-all.

Esteemed Contributor

@highmaintenancejan

May I make 3 suggestions based on my Ortho and personal experience, while you're waiting for your appointments?  (I am not a physician.)

1.  Locate a medical supply store near you open to the public.  Your purpose is to purchase a cervical collar.  They do come in different sizes, so take your time in choosing the correct. size.  Also, the goal is to maintain your cervical spine (neck) in "neutral:" neither pitched forward nor backward.  You should wear it 24/7.  Make sure you ask the staff for several lengths of "sleeves," which you slip over the collar.  This way the sleeve can be taken off and laundered.  When you get the collar home, try it first with the Velcro closure in the back and wear it that way for several hours.  If you find that this increases your pain, undo the Velcro, move the collar 180 degree so that the Velcro closure is now in the front of your neck, then press down on both ends to secure.  You may find that having the closure in front places your neck in neutral versus having it in back.  For most people, having the closure in the back places them in neutral; but, for a smaller population of patients, a front closure is required.

2.  If you have no allergies to, no gastrointestinal ailments, no drug interactions with, no bleeding disorders/diseases, no liver disease which includes HEP A-B-C, or any chronic or acute disease or disorder which has required a physician to caution you against the use of NSAIDS, then do NOT consider the following.  If I was the one experiencing your symptoms and was having physician issues and could not get another appointment until the times you've indicated, I would place myself on the NSAID of my choice.  I would more than likely choose an over-the-counter version of Motrin.  However, I would take the prescription daily dose, which is 800mg per day, which is considered therapeutic.  I would also take it every 6 hours without fail, with the exception of those hours during sleep.

3.  Describing pain for your physician.  Sometimes it can be difficult to express pain and uncomfortable situations so that a physician understands what one is talking about.  These are some of the words which are commonly used: ache, pin-point pain (usually in one spot only, common in fractures), burning, tingling, stabbing, lacerating pain (cutting/knife like pain) numbness, prickling, etc.  Try to use single words versus entire sentences to describe your pain and discomfort.  Of great benefit will be for you to be able to tell your physician what makes the pain worse (kind of activity); what makes it feel better, if only for a short while; when the pain started (think hard on this and come up with a date); also include ANY history of injury to your neck or shoulders (motor vehicle accidents, sports-even if years ago, falls, accidents while playing with your kids, etc).  Write all of this down on paper.

Once you have all of the above on paper, I assure you your appointment will go more smoothly and you'll at least feel more at ease.

***Don't walk out of there without an order for a cervical MRI.

Again, this is just me per my experience.

I pray that you are blessed with lowered levels of pain and physicians who will listen to you without fail.

God Bless & XXX

Valued Contributor

Thank you @sfnative  Very good advice.  I have an old cervical collar from the '90's.  I shall try it.  Quite hard to wear at night.  Thank you for taking the time to give me all of this information.  You don't know how much this means to me.  I shall take it to heart and use it.  You did not waste your time.  I shall try and take the Ibuprofen...although, I have Oral Lichen Planus and it tends to break my mouth out.  I will take it as long as I can.  It is a benefit vs. pain situation.  

Thank you from the bottom of my heart! Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@highmaintenancejan

Hi Jan,

I know how difficult it is to wear a cervical collar at night. It might be helpful to shop for an additional soft pillow or 2 to bolster your position, so that the upper part of your trunk AND head are all supported and elevated.  I've found that IKEA has pillows at decent price points which don't break the bank.  They have some soft ones, very similar to down/feathers, which are made with an artificial fill that looks like accordian fiberfill.

If OTC Motrin products cause unwanted side effects, perhaps you can consider "Aleve," the OTC version of naproxyn sodium, a prescription medication.  However, with Oral Lichen Planus, it is best to consult with your diagnosing physician prior to commencing either OTC drug.  I will tell you this:  The Aleve tablet is a small, flat, orange, football-shaped tablet and is easy to take.  If I had any mouth issue, I would position the football tablet on my tongue, with a pointed end toward the throat and use a straw to introduce fluid into the mouth.

Also, a matter of great import and one which I cannot believe I failed to include: weight lifting limit.  Until you have a diagnosis, let's assume this is a cervical issue, in which case you will need to limit lifting to no greater than 5 lbs.  Many, and that will probably include you, will say, "You've got to be kidding."  But, it's something that simply must be done.  Your neck is already holding up a 10 lb head.  Asking it, at this point, to become engaged in helping to lift beyond 5 lbs is contraindicated.  And, when you do pick something up to carry it, insure that you hug the item to your body versus holding it out in front of yourself.

Please know that a lot of folks on this thread are thinking of you, offering up kind thoughts and prayers.  There is an answer out there.  XXX

Valued Contributor

@sfnative

You are an extremely kind person and I want to thank you for all of your information.  When I am hurting and can't sleep I shall think of you.  Can I wear it at night?  I don't think so...but, during the day, certainly...I do have the "my pillow" and several other small pillows I can 'squish'.  The problem is the Aleve or Ibuprofen cause the Oral Lichen Planus to FLARE UP.  Also, I have Fatty liver...why?,  I don't know...I'm not overweight and don't drink...so can't really take aspirin or Ibuprofen...so I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.  Even worse!  I don't mean to whine...believe me.  I'm just counting down the days and people like you (Angels) really help...BELIEVE ME!!!  Thank you for all of you help.  You are so kind!!!  HeartHeartHeart

Esteemed Contributor

@highmaintenancejan wrote:

@sfnative

You are an extremely kind person and I want to thank you for all of your information.  When I am hurting and can't sleep I shall think of you.  Can I wear it at night?  I don't think so...but, during the day, certainly...I do have the "my pillow" and several other small pillows I can 'squish'.  The problem is the Aleve or Ibuprofen cause Oral Lichen Planus to FLARE UP.  Also, I have Fatty liver...why?,  I don't know...I'm not overweight and don't drink...so can't really take aspirin or Ibuprofen...so I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.  Even worse!  I don't mean to whine...believe me.  I'm just counting down the days and people like you (Angels) really help...BELIEVE ME!!!  Thank you for all of you help.  You are so kind!!!  HeartHeartHeart

@highmaintenancejan

Got it - about NSAIDs.  I'm unable to take them as well.  It's just horrible, when your body would really benefit from an anti-imflammatory med.

(The My Pillow:  I purchased one, when they first came out.  Slept on it 2 nights, then gave it to my husband.  It shove my neck into flexion, while on my back, and then pushed my neck severely sideways while sleeping on my left side.  Horrible and awful describe my experience with that pillow.  Many people love it; however, not for me.)

BTW, I purchased THE BEST heating pad designed specifically for necks and shoulders on Amazon.  It's shaped just right, puts out great heat with 3 settings and is incredibly soft and pliable.  Will log off here, go to Amazon and get that item number for you, just in case you might be interested.

Really hope you have a decent weekend.

Esteemed Contributor

@highmaintenancejan

Just as an FYI, this is a fabulous heating pad design specifically for neck & shoulders, though can be used elsewhere (as I also use it on my low back while seated).

Amazon qualifies it per the product description and manufacturer, so here goes:

PROALLER, 4.5 stars, shoulder, neck... heating pad, 18"x25", heat therapy wrap...with auto shut-off (has 10' cord).

$32.95, Amazon Prime Item

To locate on Amazon, I'd type in PROALLER Shoulder Heating Pad.  Further down on the page, the manufacturer has included some great photos and information.

Valued Contributor

@sfnative

Thank you for all of your help.  This heating pad looks fantastic!!!

Valued Contributor

I have pain in my shoulders and have mixed connective tissue disease and was told it is a symptom of my diseases.yes it is very painful . I have 4 autoimmune diseases.perhaps myositis  which is a muscle disease associated with M.C.T.D.

cathy from ma

Honored Contributor

I get shoulder aches sometimes. I use a heating pad a lot. Warm shower before bed helps some too. I know it's frustrating and painful. Best wishes to you.