Honored Contributor

Re: Any Ideas....Pain in shoulders at night and numbness in arms and hands

@highmaintenancejan    Look into having an MRI on the cervical neck area... I have the same issue.  It is compression of the spine  called

Cervical Stenosis

https://www.reference.com/health/cervical-stenosis-symptoms-9ba1a60bd1eb08a8?aq=what+is+cervical+ste...

I have simular symtoms to you... also weakness of both arms....

You need a NEW DOCTOR who will listen to You!!!!!

Valued Contributor

@OutofMadison

Thank you...after listening to everyone...I WILL PUSH to get this solved!!  Thank you everyone!!

Honored Contributor

@highmaintenancejan

I'm poking at 79 and all my doctors listen very intently to me. It ain't age, it's your doctor. Find one that cares more about the patient than quota.

That aside,  I can speculate with the best of them, and I've had some experiences with shoulder pains over the decades. I however prefer an Orthopedic Doctor when it comes to most joint injuries, and/or pain. What have you had done by any type of doctor? 

Best suggestion I can offer,

hn

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Torn Rotater Cuff ... which no meds....or physical therapy will fix ...

Mine started waking me at night ... the pain almost was unbearable

Like a constant throbbing tooth ache ....

Good luck ....The state of medicine today we have to be pro-active...tell

your GP you are going to an orthopedic Dr.    

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

But, it's in both shoulders, arms and hands!!

I've only seen my GP and emergently a sports med. doctor at a clinic who injected one shoulder for bursitis.

There are not many Ortho's here.  There is about a 2-3 month wait to get into one!!!

Valued Contributor

@highmaintenancejan

Start with an orthopedist who should be able to differentiate soft tissue from bone issues.  

Trusted Contributor

@highmaintenancejan wrote:

It is pretty severe and is much worse at night.  Really interfers with my sleep and has been going on for 4 months.  My doctor kind of poo poo's me.  At this age, they really don't listen to you...(over 70).

It's getting to be too much...really interfering with my life and making me very grouching and depressed.

Any ideas?  TIA

I have a pinched nerve in my neck that radiates pain down my left arm to my little finger when my back is out of alignment.  I go to a chiropractor who practices reflexology - he releases the muscles to get the bones to re-align which is the opposite of most chiropractors.  Chiropractors seem to listen better than most regular doctors in my experience. Also, you might try deep muscle massage - it can be painful at the time, but it does release the toxins. Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

Thank you for all of your help!  I have made an appointment with an Orthopedic Doctor.  I just didn't know which direction to go, but I guess I will start here. I'm just in so much pain today.

Like I said there is quite a wait...so the appointment is not until June 4th.  I will endure until then.  

Thank you all!!

Respected Contributor

The orthopedist is most likely going to want an MRI.  Maybe you can get the other doctor to write a prescription for it and get it ahead of time to take with you.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@VanSleepy

The other doctor wasn't able to accept my appt. for May 8th....so....