Respected Contributor

Any Dr's or nurses here? Need an opinion. ( No mean responces please)

[ Edited ]

I know  its not best to post this here  but my doctor visit today left me with no answers

I have an issue. A swelling  below and front of the ear  near the back of the Jaw.  It  swells  when I chew then goes down when I stop chewing. Like within 20 minutes it goes down significiantly. 

My first instinct is an absess tooth, I do have a tooth bothering me.  I went to the dentest and he xrayed  and could not find a tooth infection.  He told me  to sit on it and wait a few days for he could not pinpoint the problem and he did not want to guess and do work not needed.  He gave me pain pills "in case "  I have pain develop  and to hold me over till I can see a dr.

Now maybe can this be a swollen gland?  it would explain why a dentist could not see the root of the swelling  but then again its odd the swelling  rapidly goes up when eating then back down.  

My history for the past 3 weeks are as follows:  I had a bad  cold  that lasted about 5 days but conjestion  lasted for about 10 days ending last night. Last night I blew my nose and  runny pure green stuff  came out. Uniformly green not your normal stuff  and yesterday I also got the flu shot.  Dentist swears the nasal discharge  has nothing to do with my teeth.  I do not have pain or a fever.  Yesterday was my last day of conjestion

My normal doctor is quite far away  so I am waiting to see her  for I want to be positive it is not a  "dental"  issue first

Trusted Contributor

Re: Any Dr's or nurses here? Need an opinion. ( No mean responces please)

Google it.

Respected Contributor

Please go and see a Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor.  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not a Dr., nor do I play one on TV. 

First of all green means infection and that is when I have always been prescribed antibiotics.

The swelling sounds like an infected salivary gland.  Or a plugged up one. 

You also have parotid glands in your neck.  I had one last year that swelled and because it was pressing on my trachea I was hospitalized and given a catscan given steroids and IV antibiotics. 

They weren't messing around.

Best wishes!! 

edit to add:  I was diagnosed at an Immediate Care center.

Honored Contributor

Sounds like an infection or maybe your jaw is out of alignment....you need to get checked.I had a friend with an abcess toothe who didn't get it fixed,had a heart attack because the infection spread,

Honored Contributor

Please go see an ENT and getting the flu shot when you were just sick is not a good idea.

It sounds like a clogged gland, which an ENT should find easily

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

wrong thread, sorry

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Nearly all my life, when I have a systemic infection (flu, cold virus) one of the ways it may decide to manifest itself is in the lymph glands in the parotid area. My doctor once told me years ago that some people just do this. I’ve also had symptoms of just malaise, painful neck glands and nausea, nothing else, and was told it was probably a virus.

Just FYI, because no one here can diagnose you, it could be too many things.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Go to Webmd.....

Esteemed Contributor

@kcladyz

1.  Please do not go to the internet for answers.

2.  "Green" mucous from sinuses can possibly indicate dead bacterial or viral cells from an acute episode of unknown etiology; or, it may be secondary to your original viral episode of which you spoke.

3.  Pain & swelling near jaw and ear of which you spoke:  Usually associated with the parotid gland on either side, swelling does not usually appear, then cease, then appear, as is the case for you.  However, this could be the result of a "stone" in one of the ducts, which carries saliva to your mouth.  A procedure exists to remedy this situation, if, indeed, this is your problem.

4.  In order to have your various symptoms properly evaluated and an appropriate diagnosis made, it would be in your best interest to ask for a referral to an Otolaryngologist (ENT) physician at your earliest convenience.  If you choose to continue to see a PCP regarding these issues, prepare to be met with brick walls.  Get to a source:  An ENT physician.

Good luck!