Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 14,034
Registered: ‎10-03-2011

I’m so anxious for Spring to arrive!  I’ve realized I need to be more physically active and have decided I want to start riding a bike.  I’m looking for recommendations on bikes.   We live in a somewhat hilly area.  I’m not fussy on how many speeds and haven’t really made any decisions on steel vs. aluminum for the frame. Tell me what you recommend and why.  Would like to stay under $200.  Thanks 🚲 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,741
Registered: ‎10-25-2010

Re: Any Bike Riders Here? 🚲

[ Edited ]

Good luck.  Bicycles are a hot commodity now.  They are difficult to find and the prices have gone up. It seems you are not the only one looking for a bike.

 

 I have seen some Schwinn's  and Huffy's at Walmart that just came in.  You could try one of for size there.  These companies have been in business for years.

 

Often a bicycle specialty store might have some second hand bikes or you could check around.  $200 is not a healthy budget for a bike anymore.

 

I got a granddaughter a basic 10 speed road bike for almost $500.

 

I myself have a Royce Union..steel frame.  I have had it for years and it has held up really well.  I just get it adjusted about every two years. The price has gone up for those too.  It was not over the top expensive when I bought it.

 

There  are Pros and Cons with steel gs aluminum frames.  Aluminum is lighter and easier to move for older bones.  Steel is heavier, but lasts longer.  You can find info on line.

 

IMO, it is more important to find a bike that fits you.  It needs to be comfortable and easy to ride.  If you're not going to make a career of riding a bike, I'd get what feels good to you when you're on it.  You may need to change the seat out, but that is minor.

 

Most of my bike riding friends now have electric bikes, but I have resisted.

 

Have fun!

 

 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,698
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

Re: Any Bike Riders Here? 🚲


@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

I’m so anxious for Spring to arrive!  I’ve realized I need to be more physically active and have decided I want to start riding a bike.  I’m looking for recommendations on bikes.   We live in a somewhat hilly area.  I’m not fussy on how many speeds and haven’t really made any decisions on steel vs. aluminum for the frame. Tell me what you recommend and why.  Would like to stay under $200.  Thanks 🚲 


i would go to a local bike shop they will be able to guide you and fit you as well. 

 

 

 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 14,034
Registered: ‎10-03-2011

Re: Any Bike Riders Here? 🚲



@Carmie wrote:

Good luck.  Bicycles are a hot commodity now.  They are difficult to find and the prices have gone up. It seems you are not the only one looking for a bike.

 

 I have seen some Schwinn's  and Huffy's at Walmart that just came in.  You could try one of for size there.  These companies have been in business for years.

 

Often a bicycle specialty store might have some second hand bikes or you could check around.  $200 is not a healthy budget for a bike anymore.

 

I got a granddaughter a basic 10 speed road bike for almost $500.

 

I myself have a Royce Union..steel frame.  I have had it for years and it has held up really well.  I just get it adjusted about every two years. The price has gone up for those too.  It was not over the top expensive when I bought it.

 

There  are Pros and Cons with steel gs aluminum frames.  Aluminum is lighter and easier to move for older bones.  Steel is heavier, but lasts longer.  You can find info on line.

 

IMO, it is more important to find a bike that fits you.  It needs to be comfortable and easy to ride.  If you're not going to make a career of riding a bike, I'd get what feels good to you when you're on it.  You may need to change the seat out, but that is minor.

 

Most of my bike riding friends now have electric bikes, but I have resisted.

 

Have fun!

 

 


@Carmie  Whew, what kind did you buy for your granddaughter?  I’m not looking for anything fancy   I still have my Schwinn 10-speed that my parents bought me as a freshman in high school.  I know the size bike I need but it needs an overhaul and not in my plan  I think I need something with wider wheels. Maybe I just need to get out and physically shop.  
Honored Contributor
Posts: 14,034
Registered: ‎10-03-2011

Re: Any Bike Riders Here? 🚲


@jackthebear wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

I’m so anxious for Spring to arrive!  I’ve realized I need to be more physically active and have decided I want to start riding a bike.  I’m looking for recommendations on bikes.   We live in a somewhat hilly area.  I’m not fussy on how many speeds and haven’t really made any decisions on steel vs. aluminum for the frame. Tell me what you recommend and why.  Would like to stay under $200.  Thanks 🚲 


i would go to a local bike shop they will be able to guide you and fit you as well. 

 

 

 


@jackthebear Unfortunately that’s not an option where I’m located. 

Super Contributor
Posts: 456
Registered: ‎02-16-2014

Re: Any Bike Riders Here? 🚲

[ Edited ]

When I first started riding again I just got a very inexpensive bike at target (don't even remember the brand) to see if I would  enjoy riding again.  I decided I wanted a heavier bike with fenders and coaster brakes.  In 1997 I bought a Schwinn cruiser-ss7,at that time it cost $375.  

 

I live in a very bike friendly city so ride on paved surfaces, mostly flat and a little bit hilly.

 

 

 

 

 

   

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,858
Registered: ‎12-02-2013

Re: Any Bike Riders Here? 🚲

Last year during our snowbird stay in FL, I bought a barely used adult TRIKE for myself since I can't balance on a bike.  ( $250... a step-through )

 

I only use it down here and within our and the adjacent development....in 40 minutes in the AM I may encounter 2 cars.  Really enjoy it and how folks seem to enjoy seeing it!

 

This year, I see at least 3 more trikes:  I must have started a trend !

 

BTW, I can ice skate, roller skate, downhill skied the Alps, but not okay on a bike.  Go figure....

 

 

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,698
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

Re: Any Bike Riders Here? 🚲


@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

I’m so anxious for Spring to arrive!  I’ve realized I need to be more physically active and have decided I want to start riding a bike.  I’m looking for recommendations on bikes.   We live in a somewhat hilly area.  I’m not fussy on how many speeds and haven’t really made any decisions on steel vs. aluminum for the frame. Tell me what you recommend and why.  Would like to stay under $200.  Thanks 🚲 


i would go to a local bike shop they will be able to guide you and fit you as well. 

 

 

 


@jackthebear Unfortunately that’s not an option where I’m located. 


that is a possibility,  did you try looking on the web? might be worth driving to find a place?  

youtube "how to buy a bike". in the search box 

 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 24,151
Registered: ‎05-22-2016

Re: Any Bike Riders Here? 🚲

I had a mountain bike. But I don't think that's what you're looking for. I loved it until I could no longer ride it.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,741
Registered: ‎10-25-2010

Re: Any Bike Riders Here? 🚲

@JeanLouiseFinch   I don't even remember the brand name anymore.  I just went to a  local bike shop and had her ' fitted" with something reasonable. She wanted a street bike, not a mountain bike.  It is a pretty basic 12 speed bike, nothing fancy. We got a new helmet too.  She is 16 and about 5'5 so it is an adult woman's bike.

 

She was so happy.  It fit in the back of my mini van, so we placed it there.  I then had to pick up an elderly friend and take her to the doctor right after we left the shop.

 

 We locked the van and went in the doctor's office.   My GD kept saying that she was afraid someone would steal her bike out of the car and I laughed at her...saying the parking lot was safe and we could see the car from inside the waiting room.


While we were in there my car alarm went off.  We could see from the full windowed front that a guy was trying to open my car doors.  When he heard the alarm, he ran off.  She said "Grandma, I told you so."  This was pre-Covid.

 

Right now.  The supplies of bikes are low.  Our local bike shop said people were ordering them from all over the country and he was shipping them.  Even the super expensive ones were sold out.  

They are finally coming back into stock, but supply is still low.  There is a two week waiting period for repairs.  I wanted to get mine conditioned for warm weather riding, but haven't done so yet.

 

My friends all went with e-bikes and they love them.  I have bad knees and I am not sure I could get my money's worth from one of them if I have a bad knee summer.

 

I have been a rider for years, but didn't ride last summer at all...bad knees.  I am planning on riding again soon if I am able.  We have a ton of hills where I live, which makes it difficult with my knees.  My DH said he would ride with me at the cemetary.  He currently takes his walks there.

 

Best of luck. Happy riding.