Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

Has anyone devoped this, or had in get a lot worse, when they have gotten older?

I have many nights, like this one, when I simply cannot sleep thru the night. I wake up and the "what ifs" start going thru my mind. They are what if's that I can do nothing about. Also the things that have already happened, a family friend died last night and when I woke up, his family was on my mind and I couldn't go back to sleep.

I know this is anxiety, I just don't know how to fix it. I am going to make appointment with a dr. This is no way to live and getting worse.

Just wondering if any of you have dealt with this, or if you have ideas anything that could help.

TIA

@happycat  I've experienced this far too often.  This past year I wake up in the middle of the night, go to the bathroom then I can't go back to sleep...all of the "what ifs" go through my mind too.  Then there are times that I'm afraid to fall asleep.  I'm afraid that I might not wake up...crazy I know.

I hope you can find some help & relief.

Esteemed Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@happycat wrote:

Has anyone devoped this, or had in get a lot worse, when they have gotten older?

I have many nights, like this one, when I simply cannot sleep thru the night. I wake up and the "what ifs" start going thru my mind. They are what if's that I can do nothing about. Also the things that have already happened, a family friend died last night and when I woke up, his family was on my mind and I couldn't go back to sleep.

I know this is anxiety, I just don't know how to fix it. I am going to make appointment with a dr. This is no way to live and getting worse.

Just wondering if any of you have dealt with this, or if you have ideas anything that could help.

TIA

@happycat  I've experienced this far too often.  This past year I wake up in the middle of the night, go to the bathroom then I can't go back to sleep...all of the "what ifs" go through my mind too.  Then there are times that I'm afraid to fall asleep.  I'm afraid that I might not wake up...crazy I know.

I hope you can find some help & relief.

Oh my, this so much like me. It drives me nuts. I usually got up between 5 and 6:30 am. So now, with this, I am not getting up till 8 or after. I am not working, do not have to be anywhere at a certain time, and yet, it drives me crazy. I feel tired and it feels like the whole day is off.

Honored Contributor

@happycat, It's good to see your update.   I've written at length on other threads about anxiety and depression, as have other posters, so I won't go into my personal details right now.   I could find some threads and post links, if you'd like to read some of them.

For the moment, I wanted to add a recommendation for a very old book, "How To Stop Worrying And Start Living."   It's still popular, and used by counselors and motivational experts today, because it holds so much real and practical insight and advice.   I read it when I took the Dale Carnegie class, and the way it taught me to look at "what ifs" was without exaggeration a life-changer.

Also, I want to add that while medication -- prescription or over-the-counter --  isn't always the answer for everyone, nor is anything exactly the right fit for all,  please know that in some cases it's a beneficial component to well-being.   

We can tell you what works for us, or what didn't work for us, but in the end this is very personal and individual.   You're embarking on a path to peace, comfort, and light.   Please remember you are not alone in this.  I send you good wishes and gentle hugs.❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

@violann wrote:

@panda1234 wrote:

I have a friend who suffers and so does my daughter. Meds are the only thing that are going to help. I would not go to your PC, I would go to a psychiatrist because it might take a combo of meds and only they know how to do that. There might be something new out that the PC might not know of or been in serviced on. 

Did this, didn’t help.

@violann Have you been on a combo of meds? It is a  work in progress. My daughter's doctor is always changing dosages and/or meds to get a combo that will work for her....it is never ending.

Respected Contributor

@happycat

I feel so bad for you. I have had anxiety and panic since I was 15. Watching my Mom slowly die is when it all started, then dealing with her death was traumatic. Being so young I could not deal with it or the stages. That went along for 13 years when I was diagnosed and they started me on Zoloft. It worked great but I got pregnant and refused to take the medicine pregnant. I started back up on the medication but the dosage wasn't enough. I needed more.  By this time they tried different medications. I thought I was going crazy.  I ended up in the hospital which was a cookie cutter facility. Everyone was diagnosed as bi-polar or self harm people. They immediately took me off all my anti-anxiety meds. Gave me hi-levels of Seroquel and tried lithium on me because they said I was bi-polar! I was about as much as b/p as I am the Queen of England. I also had horrible side effects. I refused to take the medication and they labled me combative.

Because I had great insurance they kept me in there far longer then I should of been.

I refused to see one of their in house Doctors and got a private one, who worked closely with me. He got me on the right meds the right dosage and truly cared about his patients. He retired in June and I was so sad. I had him for 5 years and felt he was the best Doctor who treated me.

Im now run by Medi-Cal and have to be at the states MERCY. 

Its hard to find a good shrink. My advice be proactive, you know when something isnt right and get help. HTH

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Honored Contributor

@panda1234, YES, a merry go round of temporary successes, then right back to my 3am INTERNAL ALARM CLOCK!

Honored Contributor

@hsawaknow- I totally understand you, and I wanted to pass along something that a very competent therapist once said to me.

After getting to know me well, and working with me to help me learn my own depressive/anxiety cycles, he stated that HE also thought I could be bipolar, but that my “low” was SO LOW, that my “high” was only high enough to be in the normal range.

That made perfect sense to me at the time, and still does.

Hope it might be helpful for you, or others here.

Trusted Contributor

Before you turn to drugs to help you sleep there are things you can try.  Don't eat anything for 3-4 hours before you go to sleep but have a glass of milk later in the evening.  Try meditation. There are techniques you can google. Basically if you wake up in the middle of the night and can't quiet your thoughts think of a pleasant word maybe something like flower. Repeat that word in your mind as you breathe in and breather out. Relax the muscles in your body. Every time your mind wanders to your thoughts bring back the word flower and keep repeating slowly and quietly. 

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

I have anxiety and sometimes Panic Attacks. I did not want to go the prescription medicine route, so I pray and meditate 1st thing in the morning. I also have found both exercise and diet to help me.

I exercise every day when I get home from work, and I try to watch my diet, and cut way back on sugar.....More fuits and veggies for me plus the exercvise, and most of all for me was Prayer!!!!!

My anxiety is still there, and it rears its head every now and then, but it is so much better than it used to be. I have my biggest problem around huge crowds. That is still a problem for me.....But I definitely see an improvement!

Regular Contributor

So many people have anxiety, so dont feel like you are alone in this, there are many youtube video's out there that help.  My anxiety stems from any ache or pain I have thinking it is a deadly disease, so I have health anxiety, not to mention fears of the future.  Anxiety always stems from the what ifs in life and imagining the worst.  I started taking 2 drops twice a day of copaiba oil, followed by 8 ounces of water (Young Living) and that seems to help me, and also it helps with inflamation.  I also take many vitamins including turmeric and a good  b vitamin, and b 12.  L-theanine is a good vitamin for anxiety as well as drinking Matcha Tea.  I also started infusing oil (Young Living) in my home, like Lavender oil.  And limit white flour and sugar, omg, does this bring on anxiety.  Please be well and I pray you find a solution to help keep your anxiety at bay, oh and praying works wonders too, allow God to heal your soul and he will take all your worries away.