Frequent Contributor

I have found significant help with anxiety with mindfulness meditation. I try to meditate 10-20 minutes each day and work to become aware of anxiety triggers including the "what ifs."  http://myessentialthree.blogspot.com/2017/08/cognitive-distortions-and-mindfulness.html. 

UMass has a great program that helps with physical and emotional issues through their Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction program, https://www.umassmed.edu/cfm/. Jon Kabat-Zinn, one of the program's founder's book, Full Catastrophe Living, is available at most public libraries and is so helpful. 

Working with your doctor is a great start. My PC doctor was the one who referred me to the MBSR program and a psychologist who was trained in the program. 

Good luck.

Respected Contributor

Yes, my anxiety has definitely increased in recent years.  In my mid 50s I went on HRT because hot flashes would trigger anxiety attacks.  I could live with the hot flashes, but the anxiety attacks would keep me up losing sleep.  I eventually weaned off the HRT, and hot flashes subsided but the anxiety still creeps up on me, especially at night and early morning.  I tried CBD oil to help with my insomnia.  It didn't help the insomnia but I found relief from the anxiety with it.  I would rather use the CBD oil than prescription drugs with all their side effects. 

Trusted Contributor

@happycat

My Mom & Sister have suffered from anxiety for years. They take Xanax. I’ve always prided myself on being the calm one in the family. But not anymore. I have the exact same issues as you when I try to sleep. I worry about all the things that might happen & it’s impossible to sleep. I have found that Andrew Lessman’s Nightime vitamins help me relax & sleep. I get them from HSN. 

Respected Contributor

@Tribesters wrote:

@happycat

My Mom & Sister have suffered from anxiety for years. They take Xanax. I’ve always prided myself on being the calm one in the family. But not anymore. I have the exact same issues as you when I try to sleep. I worry about all the things that might happen & it’s impossible to sleep. I have found that Andrew Lessman’s Nightime vitamins help me relax & sleep. I get them from HSN. 

@Tribesters...a big thumbs up to you for going the natural route rather than running to the doctor for meds. I wish you continued success.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

Has anyone devoped this, or had in get a lot worse, when they have gotten older?

I have many nights, like this one, when I simply cannot sleep thru the night. I wake up and the "what ifs" start going thru my mind. They are what if's that I can do nothing about. Also the things that have already happened, a family friend died last night and when I woke up, his family was on my mind and I couldn't go back to sleep.

I know this is anxiety, I just don't know how to fix it. I am going to make appointment with a dr. This is no way to live and getting worse.

Just wondering if any of you have dealt with this, or if you have ideas anything that could help.

TIA

@happycat  Hi-that is perfectly normal. 

Do see your primary care doctor; write down everything you have been experiencing.

A good physical is always indicated.  PCP's today can certainly prescribe medications for anxiety, too.

I will agree that getting older seems to require less sleep; both DH and I often do not sleep through the night.

I will suggest that events, past or present, may be on your mind consciously or subconsciously before you go to bed.  Then they will manifest in a bigger capacity; you wake up anxious either knowing or not knowing why.  Sometimes a word, a plot in a TV show, or any other trigger can set off your anxiety.

I will suggest to you that a counselor can also help you with meditative techniques and talk therapy. 

Anxiety can have many causes; so do get that physical, talk it out with a counselor-you can determine for yourself how long you will see him/her. 

You are not alone; easing your mind will take time but once you start to learn a better way to handle anxiety I promise you that you will find relief and learn to be ok.

In the meantime, losing sleep may not be healthy but right now it's what is happening.  Try to accept that - ok, I'm awake now and perhaps doing something more constructive-read, e.g. can allow those other thoughts to take a back burner.

Try not to fight it; it is what it is but it doesn't have to be permanent.

I wish you all the best in getting this resolved.  Sincerely I do.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Valued Contributor

@happycat

This is what I use - I purchase at a health food store or you can probably get it on line. It helps calm me - because yes, I can relate to being stressed at night and not sleeping. Good luck. 

4E21806F-3E21-4EE3-B309-FDC8AC96A240.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

My early married life was stressful. I had panic attacks.  And then I conquered them... I started finding ways  to help people, do things for others.  And later on together as a married couple we found a hobby with people all around us still continuing in the helping mode. I am cured of my anxiety.   It has been almost 50 years since it got resolved without medicine or extra outside help.  

Honored Contributor

If you are person of faith, pray or repeat a mantra over and over until you fall asleep. I say this because it has helped me, I say," hover over me Lord, let me feel your presence. Also, a nice cup cup of Yogi brand Kava Sress Relief tea or their Turmeric with Meadowsweet & Ginger Tea might help an hour before bed. 

Honored Contributor

@happycat

Yes! I spent 7+ days in a Mental Ward where I was diagnosed with Anxiety/Panic Disorder, and Clinical Depression. That was over 2 decades ago, but I will never consider myself cured, only keeping it under control.

Anxiety comes in many forms, and for differing reasons. Mine was/is for a Chemical Imbalance in the brain. I am glad you are going to see a doctor with this issue. If this is really an issue with you, sooner is better than later for making your doctors appointment.

Wishing you well,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you, all you sweet people for your open and honest replies. I went to a therapist today. It was a walk in, thats all they do at this clinic for first time patients.

I talked for over an hour to a therapist, who asked me questions and said she thought I was depressed. I go back in a week. It did make me feel better to speak with someone. I didn't get anything to help me sleep as at this facility, you have to see the therapist a couple of times before they refer you to the psychiatrist who gives the meds.

Anyway, thank you for your kindness and advice. I am going to look up some of the things different ones of you mentioned that may help me sleep.Thanks again, I truly appreciate your kind responses, all of you.