Occasional Contributor

Anxiety medication!  Looking for advice on Lorazepam (.5 mg) and it’s effects prior to flying?  Thank you in advance!

Esteemed Contributor

@bananacreampie  I took it a few years ago to help me get passed some anxiety I was feeling.I was on it for a little while.I took it at night because it made me drowsy.Other than that it helped.

Valued Contributor

Re: Anxiety Medication

[ Edited ]

I took it for a flight. My doctor said to take it one hour before the actual flight. It will make you felel calmer. Good luck 

I also wore Sea Bands accupressure bands and took bonine for motion sickness.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My doctor told me she takes Xanax before she flies, dont worry.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I actually just got some today from my NP for an upcoming flight. Same med and dosage. She said to do a trial dose at home beforehand. She also told me it will knock me out. So I will probably take it 30 or 45 min before the flight. I will see how the trial dose goes.

I take another medication for depression and anxiety, but wanted something additional as I haven't flown in 10 years.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

If you've never taken the pill before, do a trial run.  I've had it and it did little to nothing for me, but everyone is different.

Esteemed Contributor

I have not taken lorazepam.  I took alprazolam (Xanax) to deal with fear of flying.  It worked well. 

As another poster suggested, you may want to do a trial run and take whatever you are prescribed before the day of your flight to see how it will affect you.  So ask your doctor if you can have an extra dose for that purpose.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

@bananacreampie  The anti-anxiety drugs do not agree with me if I take longer than a few days.  You should be fine on that dose which is the lowest, I believe.  I have not taken those drugs in over 35 years.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I agree that you should test it earlier to see how you react to it, as everyone is different.  I have taken this occasionally for anxiety or panic and I feel it is a very mild medication.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bananacreampie I'm sorry, mine is not the same. It's Xanax. But you should still test your medication at home before flying. Everyone reacts differently to medication.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"