Respected Contributor

Re: Anxiety Drugs (Benzo) Give a Good Chance of Getting AlzheimersI have been on a medication since age twenty five and I'm

On 11/20/2014 Ford1224 said:
On 11/19/2014 Gsmom said:
On 11/19/2014 Ford1224 said:

If NJ passes the law of assisted suicide and I see it coming I will avail myself of those services. There are a number of reasons why I would take that path. I have lived long enough and it's all downhill from here, and not just healthwise.

Please don't be all shocked, many individuals feel this way. One should have a choice, which I think is a freedom long overdue.

Wouldn't that law be just for those suffering and terminally ill ?

I don't know. Am I terminally ill? Well, we are all terminal. Am I "suffering?" Definitely. And really sick of it.

I'm so sorry for your pain and suffering.
Honored Contributor

Re: Anxiety Drugs (Benzo) Give a Good Chance of Getting AlzheimersI have been on a medication since age twenty five and I'm

On 11/20/2014 Reba055 said:
On 11/20/2014 Ford1224 said:
On 11/19/2014 Gsmom said:
On 11/19/2014 Ford1224 said:

If NJ passes the law of assisted suicide and I see it coming I will avail myself of those services. There are a number of reasons why I would take that path. I have lived long enough and it's all downhill from here, and not just healthwise.

Please don't be all shocked, many individuals feel this way. One should have a choice, which I think is a freedom long overdue.

Wouldn't that law be just for those suffering and terminally ill ?

I don't know. Am I terminally ill? Well, we are all terminal. Am I "suffering?" Definitely. And really sick of it.

I'm so sorry for your pain and suffering.

Thank you, Reba.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

I don't want to sound like I'm disrespecting anything anyone has posted, but in my experience, it doesn't do any good to tell someone with a true anxiety disorder "not to worry about it", or "don't worry about something that may never happen", or "don't think about it", or "just enjoy the good things you do have", or "stress and anxiety is worse than the medications you take", and all the other things that people say with the best of intentions. The fact is, that many people with anxiety and/or panic disorder CANNOT do those things, no matter how much they want to. That's what the disorder is.

Worrying excessively over things that most "normal" people would not be that concerned about is the major problem. (And if anyone can explain to me what "normal" is, I would love to hear it.) And it's not a matter of "just don't worry about it". Sometimes that is a total impossibility. And then add in the fact that a lot of people with this disorder also have an excessive fear of taking new medications, no matter how much they are told that they might help... this also exacerbates the problem they already have.

If a person has never personally experienced, in their own body and their own mind, true anxiety/panic disorder, it is virtually impossible to truly understand what it does to a person. If you have someone close to you that suffers from this (and I do mean "suffer"), do everything you can to support them, study and learn as much as you can about the disorder, and be there for them to lean on when they need you, but never judge them or ask them "why can't you just not worry about it?" If they're seeing doctors, for both physical and mental health, taking their meds, and doing what they can to "manage" it, what they really need is someone who will just be there when they're needed, no questions asked. Sometimes all it takes to get over a particularly bad "episode" is just to have another caring person there.

Moonriver, I think you would feel better if you talk honestly to your doctor about your fears. It sounds like this is something that happens to run in your family. Maybe it will help you feel a little better if you know that someone out here has been on meds for 29 years and is still mentally sharp as a tack. I'm sorry for what you're going through, and I wish you all the best.

Regular Contributor

Frankly, I'd be more worried about the seeming genetic predisposition in your family towards the disease than by it being triggered by a particular medicine. I agree with the others who've said that there'll probably be another study released soon that completely contradicts those results. Talk to your doctor. See if there's any genetic testing that can be done on you now to see if you have the predisposition to the disease and allow you to take some preventative actions.
Respected Contributor

On 11/20/2014 kittymomNC said:

I don't want to sound like I'm disrespecting anything anyone has posted, but in my experience, it doesn't do any good to tell someone with a true anxiety disorder "not to worry about it", or "don't worry about something that may never happen", or "don't think about it", or "just enjoy the good things you do have", or "stress and anxiety is worse than the medications you take", and all the other things that people say with the best of intentions. The fact is, that many people with anxiety and/or panic disorder CANNOT do those things, no matter how much they want to. That's what the disorder is.

Worrying excessively over things that most "normal" people would not be that concerned about is the major problem. (And if anyone can explain to me what "normal" is, I would love to hear it.) And it's not a matter of "just don't worry about it". Sometimes that is a total impossibility. And then add in the fact that a lot of people with this disorder also have an excessive fear of taking new medications, no matter how much they are told that they might help... this also exacerbates the problem they already have.

If a person has never personally experienced, in their own body and their own mind, true anxiety/panic disorder, it is virtually impossible to truly understand what it does to a person. If you have someone close to you that suffers from this (and I do mean "suffer"), do everything you can to support them, study and learn as much as you can about the disorder, and be there for them to lean on when they need you, but never judge them or ask them "why can't you just not worry about it?" If they're seeing doctors, for both physical and mental health, taking their meds, and doing what they can to "manage" it, what they really need is someone who will just be there when they're needed, no questions asked. Sometimes all it takes to get over a particularly bad "episode" is just to have another caring person there.

Moonriver, I think you would feel better if you talk honestly to your doctor about your fears. It sounds like this is something that happens to run in your family. Maybe it will help you feel a little better if you know that someone out here has been on meds for 29 years and is still mentally sharp as a tack. I'm sorry for what you're going through, and I wish you all the best.

Well said.
Honored Contributor

In many of my past years I have been on particular types of Rx's such as those mentioned. I do believe they are a contributing factor to my memory performance. However, back when I took them I would have been so much worse without them. I cannot go back and second-guess myself, since I needed to be functioning -- migraines caused so many symptoms.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

On 11/19/2014 YorkieonmyPillow said:

Give it a few days. Pretty soon there will be a ""new study"" that says benzos ""protect"" the mind.

Yup! Remember when deodorant and was it aluminum in deodorant or something like that caused Alzheimer's? I wouldn't be too worried about it right now if I were you. See what happens with this info in time.

Super Contributor

On 11/19/2014 Moon River said:

Thank you all for your responses. I am so uptight because I am about to lose my Uncle to this disease and my brother who was only 69 when he got it. My Uncle has days left. It is all around me in my family so we feel the odds of getting it are pretty darn good. Then throw in what the psychologist said about anxiety meds being something to contribute to getting this disease, all I can think about it losing my mind, literally.

It is just so scary to think you might wake up one day and suddenly have memory loss. I will see my primary Dr. but I saw him for my check up in September and am not due to see him until February or March can't remember. It is true that being on those drugs for anxiety has changed my life and I need them. But it is still scary to think they could push me further into the disease. This is a hard situation. But thanks again to all for your posts.

BTW-The lady that said her mother was on these drugs and lived to be 90+, you didn't say if your mother had Alzheimers in the family?

Why can't you make an appointment to see your Dr. sooner than Feb or March? This makes no sense to me. If you have a concern, call!!

Super Contributor

Is there a link to this study? I would like to read about it. I have family members with Alzheimers and I am always interested in reading new studies and articles about it. Thank you.

Honored Contributor

Same reply I left on ""Among Friends"" forum

I have been on several of these types of medications for going on 20 years now and to worry about ""what might happen""? That defeats the purpose of taking these types of medications and I have more pressing things going on in my present life.

To believe or worry about every study on certain medications is not something very high on my list. All you need do is read the ""side effects on every medication"" and if that doesn't give you some anxiety?

My life evolves around my day to day living and what tomorrow will bring. To waste in worrying about things that ""could/might"" happen? Never how I lived or will live my life.

Best source if you are overly concerned about studies? That would be your prescribing doctor of these types of medications.

hckynut(john)