Respected Contributor

Re: Anxiety Drugs (Benzo) Give a Good Chance of Getting AlzheimersI have been on a medication since age twenty five and I'm

Sorry, I'm on my iPad..was just trying to say I agree that if the medication allowed you to live a better life you have to weigh the pros and cons.
Honored Contributor

Re: Anxiety Drugs (Benzo) Give a Good Chance of Getting AlzheimersI have been on a medication since age twenty five and I'm

On 11/19/2014 YorkieonmyPillow said:

Give it a few days. Pretty soon there will be a ""new study"" that says benzos ""protect"" the mind.

That's about the truth. These studies are constantly changing. I don't put much faith in them.

Esteemed Contributor

I feel you should share your concerns with your doctor. Your family history may not have anything to do with the drug, just family history. Mine is full of the same fun. In my case every gal with silver white hair, all my aunts, my mother died of something related to Alzheimers. Large family, lots of evidence.

The other day I caught an article against MILK and it was from a study in Sweden. A real diverse population to fund a test !{#emotions_dlg.blink} I have about had it with studies and them changing the way the wind blows. I am very cautious of meds and fight to stay off of them.

If you have a fear of getting Alzheimers find an article that tells you how to hold it off. In my case none of my family members really watched their diet or did any kind of exercise or sought out social interaction. I dance 6 times a week.... square dancing and ballroom. I use my memory to do physical and social and mental things. Will I get the disease... maybe but not until I have had all this fun. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Regular Contributor

My Mom has taken these for many,many years.She is 84 and fine.

Honored Contributor

If you do get it, blame your family history, not the meds. Stay on them, going off now with your anxiety about the disease will only worsen. Talk to your doctor immediately.

Honored Contributor

I have been on Xanax every day since I was 50. I am now 76 and still have all of my faculties. I have taken them for anxiety and panic attacks since menopause. They also have helped with my mitral valve prolapse. And taken at a low dosage (which I do) there are no side effects. Time will tell if this study is valid or not.

Since benzos and alprazolam are cheap (and work), it's probably Big Pharma trying to scare us off them because they have been pushing the more expensive anti-depressants for years, which are also rife with side effects including suicide.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Don't make me laugh this early in the morning...lol You "got the word". Text or email? Relax. It was just a study, one single study. It means nothing. If you have questions about your medications, ask your doctor. Don't get yourself all worked up over nothing.

Trusted Contributor

I haven't seen any studies saying there is a "causal relationship" between these medications and Alzheimers. In other words, it could be people who are more prone to anxiety are also more susceptible to Alzheimers.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Honored Contributor

I agree it makes so much more sense to talk with your personal physician(s) and/or pharmacist(s).

Since the OP didn't mention the specific study, I'll post info from the latest one I read about in a Harvard Medical School publication. This study was done by a team of researchers in France and Canada. Notice the study is not conclusive and only says benzodiazepines may raise risk of Alzheimer's disease. It's only one study:

Benzodiazepine use may raise risk of Alzheimer’s disease (9/10/14)

Actual study: Benzodiazepine use and risk of Alzheimer’s disease: case-control study

(btw: Study was not funded by "big pharma". "Funding: This research was conducted by the INSERM (Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale) and University of Bordeaux. Additional support was provided by unconditional grants from IRESP (Institut de Recherche en Santé Publique); the French Ministry of Health (Direction Générale de la Santé); and the Funding Agency for Health Research of Quebec (Fonds de la Recherche en Santé du Québec, FRSQ)."

links go to: http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/benzodiazepine-use-may-raise-risk-alzheimers-disease-201409107397 and http://www.bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g5205

(edited to correct link info)Smile

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Trusted Contributor

I've read so many articles lately about various things that "cause Alzheimer's" that I've just about given up. You'll have to talk with your doctor and decide what to do about your medications. Eat as well as you can, maintain good relationships and worthwhile activities, and exercise your body and mind regularly. That's about the best we can do, I think.