Trusted Contributor

They have COVID antibody testing available in my area now. Would you get a test done? I was horribly sick in January with something and was down for ages. Don't remember having something like it before. Would be curious.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

I'm afriad that a lot of the testing if far from accurate right now.  I would get it done but not until I feel that it is accurate.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Antibody testing

[ Edited ]

@morganjen -

That is so chilling that you said that about January.

I and most of my family members here and other places were sick in all of January with respiratory stuff that was worse than any of us had ever had and it lasted for over a month.

No antibiotics seemed to help.

So just out of wondering, I would take that test because we are wondering if we had the virus.

I also remembering having the conversation with so many saying they had never been so sick or  heard so many sick for so long (this was before we'd heard of the virus). People and drs described it as the cough that wouldn't go away. And one Walmart employee I remember saying she had bought all the kleenex on the shelf! (this was also before knowing about it).

The more I think about this, the more it makes me think we had some form of it, but who knows!

After the adults were slowly getting better after more than a month, our little 3 month old was still sick with weeks of a cough and fever. We took him to urgent care and the pediatrician several times. They just said keep doing what we were dong at home (my daughter is a nurse).

And our little 2 year old had a high fever for over a week -sometimes 104! My daughter's friend had come over the week before saying her kids had fevers for over a week,(thanks and just great to be told after coming over!). We asked the pediatricians if they should be tested. This was when we knew about the virus. They both just said they will keep watching

( now on viral video visits so as not to expose them or anyone more).

So after that we quaranteened ours  ourselves from the 2 year old for 14 days and if still coughing, stayed away from the 3 month old.

Anyone else with all these prolonged and never so sick before symptoms where nothing really helped?

I am starting to feel really grateful that if it was the virus, we are all still here and also didn't end up in the hospital!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

Several people I know think that they had the virus before it hit the public consciousness. They're getting the anti-body test to see if that's the case. It isn't known yet if having COVID once gives you immunity but finding out that you have the antibodies with no active disease might give some hope.

I'm virus-free so far. (Yay!) Don't feel I need to get tested unless it becomes mandatory for going back to work or other situations. I've been screened twice to enter medical offices but no swabbing.

Respected Contributor

I'm in NYC, Brooklyn. Eligible for a test through my 

hematologist. Not doing so since I feel ok. 
Once there is a reliable antibody test I'd do it for

peace of mind.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Antibody testing

[ Edited ]

@on the bayMine was bad also, I was rattling and wheezing all the time. The did chest x-rays for pneumonia, but I did not have that. They had to give me an inhaler for my breathing. No meds were given. I never had a high fever, just constant low grade. The fatigue was nothing like I've ever felt (other than a period of having Epstein Barr Virus). Yes, the coughing was terrible and lasted for 3 months.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Esteemed Contributor

@IMW 

Not to go off topic, but....

My Scilian grandparents lived at McDonald Avenue & Avenue U in Brooklyn, for many years.  Oh, it was a fabulous corner!  Subway overhead, bus stop, so much noise and activity.

Growing up in the Midwest, I treasured those summers spent there.  Coney Island, the Italian bakeries....Heaven!

Sadly, the house is gone now, but I still look at that area on Google earth.  Happy memories!

Respected Contributor

There was a time when I thought I wanted one.  But now they keep telling us if you're positive, it doesn't help you. You must continue with hygiene, masks, distancing etc.  Because nobody knows if you have any immunity and if you can still spread it. So what's the point, other than curiosity.  I don't need to be in contact with a medical person or in a medical facility right now.  I'd rather stay away from them unless I become ill, and even then I don't want to be around them.  Not worth the risk just to know one way or another.

Honored Contributor

Not unless they can decide if it provides some sort of immunity.  Otherwise, it does no good but satisfy a curiosity.  

Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman I live near there on Kings Highway and East 28. 
Do you remember L&B Spumoni Gardens, Cuccio's

bakery on Ave X , Nathan's -- they are still going strong. Coney Island is getting gentrified. The boardwalk and beach

are glorious.