Esteemed Contributor

Taking those supplements might slightly help some folks' immune response, but they are in NO way "preventative" for Covid. I sure hope none of you makes the mistake of thinking this......Masks, social distancing, washing hands are the only thing going to fight COVID right now.

Honored Contributor

I take Vitamin D and Vitamin C. I don't consider these as being anti COVID. I take them because I have had a severe dificiency of D and because when calculating my daily intake of nutrients, vitamins and minerals using My Fitness Pal  I consistently had a hard time meeting the RDA for C. I am also consistently below the RDA for zinc, so I occasionally take a losenge that has it. I also alternate this with the taking of a multi vitamin a couple times a week (Centrum Silver for Women). 

Respected Contributor

I drink black tea daily (for its theaflavin), and I take a multivitamin, D3, quercetin, a little extra zinc, monolaurin, and garlic.  That's my special cocktail.  ; ) 

Super Contributor

I take most of these...anything anyone can do to build up their immune is a GOOD thing.....regardless of what disease you may be fighting.    A healthy robust immune system should never be taken for granted or dismissed in how you handle or prevent disease.  

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

COVID-19 is mostly a disease involving inflammation. If you are in a state of health which predisposes you to inflammation, for instance obesity and diabetes, the best thing to do is to take steps to reduce inflammation through diet and exercise...lose weight, maintain healthy sugar levels and try eating anti-inflammatory foods. Prevention is the key to surviving through this pandemic. Trying to recover from the virus, otoh, is far more difficult and can lead to life-long health problems.

@SilleeMee  Good post.

This is something that has been almost completely ignored. All of the conditions that make one more at risk have to do with inflammation. 

Lowering our levels of inflammation is something we all have in our control by making sure we eat anti-inflammatory foods. Not having a diagnosis doesn’t mean a person doesn’t have inflammation.

Following an anti-inflammatory diet makes one’s body less welcoming to COVID-19, the flu, a cold, and pretty much all illnesses. You can still get sick but you’re likely to have a much easier time of it if you have been eating healthy. 

All of the jokes in the media and pretty much everywhere about gaining weight from eating junk food during this time because people are stressed out due to COVID-19...they are doing the worst thing they can do to their bodies by eating junk; they are increasing inflammation and making themselves an easy target for the virus. And most of them have no idea that is what they are doing.

Valued Contributor

Actually, there has been some research that shows people with low levels of vitamin D are the ones who tend to have severe issues if they get COVID-19 and may be why people with darker skin have had higher death rates. The darker ones skin color the harder it is for the body to absorb vitamin D from the sun. There is also research that shows older adults with low levels of vitamin D often have higher levels of depression. My doctor told me to take 5000 I U of vitamin D every day several years ago. This is all becoming well known. I worked in a behavioral health hospital where one MD checked all his older adults patients' vitamin d and supplemented them if too low. 

Honored Contributor

@Growing wrote:

Actually, there has been some research that shows people with low levels of vitamin D are the ones who tend to have severe issues if they get COVID-19 and may be why people with darker skin have had higher death rates. The darker ones skin color the harder it is for the body to absorb vitamin D from the sun. There is also research that shows older adults with low levels of vitamin D often have higher levels of depression. My doctor told me to take 5000 I U of vitamin D every day several years ago. This is all becoming well known. I worked in a behavioral health hospital where one MD checked all his older adults patients' vitamin d and supplemented them if too low. 

@Growing 

This is true. Low vitamin D levels are also associated with inflammation.

Regular Contributor

I already take vitamin D, and take emergen-c which has zinc also but would take the other preventative/ therapeutics listed.  Wishing our Potus and Flotus a speedy recovery. 

Esteemed Contributor

Don't you think that if that cocktail of stuff really did prevent one from getting Covid, that Dr. Fauci, CDC, NIH, etc would be shouting it from the rooftops, for everyone to take it?

Stop and think, people.

Stop and think.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

I have taken famotidine as prescribed by my doctor for years for my stomach.  The last time this was mentioned on the news in connection with COVID, I had a heck of a time getting it, as obviously everyone was buying it for this reason.  No, I wouldn't just start taking all this stuff because of COVID.  These things are not cures.  I agree that the best things we can do are just wearing the mask and wearing it correctly --- covering the mouth and the nose --- staying out of crowds --- and only going out when necessary.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin