Honored Contributor

Why don't you go in and ask the dentist what your husband didn't? Sometimes when we don't understand things and husband's don't ask, I think we're able to ask the dentist ourselves, after all, that's a hunk of a money investment. Then you know if you want a second opinion from another dentist for your husband.

Honored Contributor
On 2/3/2015 qualitygal said:

Why don't you go in and ask the dentist what your husband didn't? Sometimes when we don't understand things and husband's don't ask, I think we're able to ask the dentist ourselves, after all, that's a hunk of a money investment. Then you know if you want a second opinion from another dentist for your husband.

Because my DH would be very upset with me if I did that. It's his mouth and his money - I am just trying to understand it.When I try to discuss it with him he has a very short fuse about it - I think because he is realizing this dentist is not good and he made a bad decision - but he would never admit that.

He just said he is going to get dentures before he has any more expensive work done on these teeth. Before we retired he had very good dental insurance - we have insurance now but it has huge copays etc.

Respected Contributor
On 2/3/2015 MomOf4 said:

Very smart idea to get a second opinion.

I have never been to the dentist where he didn't find several thousands of dollars of work that needed to be done. I think they are taught that in dental school.

Not in Michigan!

My parents, self, husband and children have all had regular cleanings and checks (we are faithful to go every 6 months) and have never had more than simple fillings. My adult children have never had a cavity and they are in their 30's. How often do you get cleanings Momof4? It is very important to floss,too. I must admit I brush my teeth at least 4 times a day because I like the clean feeling after eating.

Respected Contributor

Also, check out the local Dental School if there is one around. You can get your evaluation done there.

Super Contributor

I am also in favor of a dental implant vs. a bridge. I am getting one this month for a tooth that I limped along for over 30 years with root canals (had to have it done twice) and at least 3 different crowns (wish I had all that money back...).

Anyway, late last month the tooth finally broke it's roots and abcessed and it had to come out. The bone below is in good shape and they should be able to get the implant to "bite" well into the bone.

I've known dentist's wives who had implants instead of bridges. I also have two friends who have had them for years with no issues. I figure that for long term, especially since I only need one, it will likely last me until I'm gone and if dentists themselves prefer their families get them, then it must be the best thing they can provide.

Honored Contributor
On 2/3/2015 Madisson said:

Did your husband have an implant into the bone at one time...which costs a couple thousand for the procedure itself? He probably just has a pin in a tooth...which was then crowned.

The tooth has been ground down, and a pin was placed in the tooth to help anchor the tooth securely. Then it was crowned...or part of a bridge...or whatever. Yes, in that case, the tooth that contains the pin can decay underneath the bridge.

Unfortunately, it happens. That's why dentists tell us to floss underneath bridges with floss threaders or Superfloss.

Pin or a post, if it is a post, then the tooth material is still there and the root too at times

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor
On 2/3/2015 happy housewife said:

Because my DH would be very upset with me if I did that. It's his mouth and his money - I am just trying to understand it.When I try to discuss it with him he has a very short fuse about it - I think because he is realizing this dentist is not good and he made a bad decision - but he would never admit that.

He just said he is going to get dentures before he has any more expensive work done on these teeth. Before we retired he had very good dental insurance - we have insurance now but it has huge copays etc.

Say what, this is not 1953, his mouth and his money, hmm I wonder what kind of a man you are married to

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor
On 2/3/2015 I am still oxox said:

Say what, this is not 1953, his mouth and his money, hmm I wonder what kind of a man you are married to

Super Contributor
On 2/3/2015 I am still oxox said:

A joy to live with??? {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Honored Contributor

Dental pins and implants are two different things. Pins are put into an existing tooth for reinforcement.........implants are an actual substitute for a tooth.

♥Surface of the Sun♥