Honored Contributor

Re: Another confirmed case of coronavirus reinfection published in The Lancet

@hckynut  I saw that too.  There are now over more than 500 Drs who have signed something that says it is a very bad idea to lock down a country.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynut 

I don’t see the OP as negative or positive about the COVID 19 virus.  To me it is fact, just fact.  As public figures tout immunity,

it is a very timely reminder that having had the virus does not 

provide immunity.

Sheltering was, at the inception, the best we had based

on the information that was shared with us. Hopefully, more, and better measures will be available shortly.

I err on the side of Reasoned Caution, not Fear, Reasoned Caution.

Hope you were able to go skating, and that you did well.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Hi @Trinity11 

My having myself admitted to the hospital had to do with believing I had an underlying, physical and mental disorder. During my 7+ days in that Mental Ward I was diagnosed with a Brain Chemical Imbalance, and Clinical Depression.

The happenings in the outside world around me had nothing to do with either of diagnosed Mental Disorders. Unless someone has been diagnosed with Clinical Depression and Panic Anxiety Disorder, my belief is they cannot fully understand the depth of either, much less the causes.

For you to say to me: "Please, I implore you, have a heart".  My only comment is that I think you are reading something into what I said, as your interpretation, not even close to my meaning.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

@hckynut  What is  "***** virus" you keep referring to?  It has a name....Coronavirus Disease 2019 or COVID 19.

@alicedee 

Research what it was called when the first many cases in the United States were called.

Somehow this name got drug into a term many people have to check a dictionary to know what it means. Not the original name of the virus, the word used to call people, like myself, that prefer the use of it's original name.

When the very 1st cases in our country were brought to the city where I live to be quarantined and treated. That was the University of Nebraska Medical Center. It was not called covid.

While I consider myself to have an average or good understanding vocabulary, I hadn't heard this word used, on a regular basis, until 2016. Seems to be more popular to use every even number 4 years.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Hi @Drythe ,

Looks like this thread I will agree to disagree with you. Hopefully you can concur. Will be going skating again tomorrow, but doing well skating? Not even close to where I left off last March. About starting from scratch once again, but I'm gonna keep trying.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynut 

Hi, Regarding the OP - just to be clear, my take-away was, yes, it is possible to be reinfected.  To me that’s a fact.  Facts are cold, hard, prickly things we have to wrap our heads around, I don’t think of them as positive or negative.  Just take them in, evaluate how they effect me, and plan accordingly.

At this point I try to pass on the political in general because, well there is no point.

Yep, we can agree to disagree with no harm, no foul, and good will.

Hope the skating is good fun! 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Valued Contributor

@Annabellethecat66
There are many, many people in the medical community speaking out against lockdown and masks. You have to dig to find about it, but it’s there.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sassenach1 wrote:
@Annabellethecat66
There are many, many people in the medical community speaking out against lockdown and masks. You have to dig to find about it, but it’s there.

Well there were doctors in the beginning saying the coronavirus would not pose a risk to that many Americans and it was a pandemic only to drive up media ratings.

The vast majority of public health mds and infectious disease docs overwhelmingly support the use of masks and a bulk of medical research that supports that masks help reduce transmission of the virus.

There will always be doctors that are snake oil salesmen.  There were doctors operating in opioid pill set ups as well.  Doesn't mean just because the initials md behind someone's name means they know what they are talking about or that they should be trusted.

Add to that a growing body of misinformation about mask wearing and you have a public that decides what they think based on misinformation.   Especially since the lay public generally does not understand how to read and interpret medical research.

Case in point, the latest thing circulating around are headlines carried first in a particular publication that has been anti-anything virus that the CDC has research that shows that 71% of people that contracted covid-19 were wearing masks.

However, when one actually reads the report submitted to the MMWR for the CDC, that is not what it said at all. Here is the actual report.  I would challenge anyone to actually read it and find where it shows any evidence that 71% of people that contracted covid-19 were wearing masks all the time.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/pdfs/mm6936a5-H.pdf 

If one actually reads the study they separate groups out (case patients and control participants) with the most interesting information  that the biggest percentage of people that contracted covid-19 that had not had a close encounter with an infected individual, the biggest majority reported eating at a restaurant or being in a coffee shop/bar.  

Obviously, one does not have a mask on at all times while in those types of establishments.  The study goes on to state: "case-patients were less
likely to report observing almost all patrons at the restaurant
adhering to recommendations such as wearing a mask or social
distancing (p = 0.03 and p = 0.01, respectively)".

That means of the individuals that tested positive and had not had another exposure these individuals all had in common they had been in some type of a restaurant in which they did not necessarily report customers adhering to guidelines while in the eating establishments. And they would have had to have their masks down at times to eat and/or drink.

You see in the discussion there is one sentence which reads " In the 14 days before illness onset, 71% of case-patients and 74% of control participants reported always using cloth face coverings or other mask types when in public.". 

However, when you start to go further into the study, one discovers there are degrees of adherence that case patients report as to how diligent they were in following guidelines.  Interesting data there.  But many reported eating out or having contact with family members that ended up being positive.  And the family contact was inside, therefore it doesn't fall in the category of always using a cloth face covering or other mask type when out in public.

So there is no way that one can read that study and say the CDC has research that says 71% of people that contracted covid were wearing masks.  But let some non-medical person write the article to support anti-mask groups and non-medical people that don't actually read the research or understand how to interpret medical research and you have a talking point that is absolutely inaccurate.

And it misses the very important point of this particular study that does provide some evidence that eating out in an environment where people don't have masks or family gatherings inside in which people aren't wearing masks appears to be significant factors in the transmission of SARS-CoV-2.

In the meantime, the people that read the headlines and believe it will never be convinced that they were led astray.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

Jersey Born wrote:

hckynut, I so agree with you. There is so much blinding fear out there about this one particular illness with different varieties, apparently.  A friend I spoke with just today was outside walking her dog, and although she put on a mask when another person neared her, she was still yelled at because her dog wasn't wearing a mask outside in the fresh air.    

People are losing their minds, either from fear of the virus, or from the horrific consequences of deprivation of the activities of normal life, after being locked down, or isolated, some without any ability to earn a living, because their business or employer was shut down, or they went out of business entirely.

I don't know of anyone who isn't cranky right now with all of these never ending restrictions on our lives.  It is devastating to me to be living through this kind of weirdness.  Testing positive does not mean that you are actively infectious with SARS-CoV-2.  That is another enormous problem.  Being positive doesn't necessarily mean you can give the illness to another person, yet everyone has been conditioned to believe that is the case. 

Yes, I agree too.

Valued Contributor

My SIL has had chicken pox THREE times.  Almost unheard of - but it does happen.

So there have been isolated cases of reinfection with coronavirus.  I’m sure that is the case with any virus that most people develop an immunity to after initial infection.

I would also question if some of these “reinfections” are actually false positives.