Regular Contributor

Another bad experience with blood work

Well today DH went for blood work at our PCP.  They now have "medical assistants" draw the blood. It took 3 of them 6 tries to finally get some.  I had a similar experience last month when I went. That's the last time I let them touch either of us.  Next time I'll get a script and go to Quest, where they have actual phlebotomists

Is this becoming common practice?

Honored Contributor

Re: Another bad experience with blood work

I was at an emergency room at a good-size hospital a couple weeks ago.  The RN came to draw my blood and was unsuccessful.  I asked if they didn't have lab techs that did it and she indicated the nurses were responsible.  She went and found an EMT who was hanging around and he did it with no trouble.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

A year ago some guy who didn't know anything poked around on my arm until I said "Let HER try!  I've never had trouble like this."  HER didn't do any better and when she said "Can I try your hand?"  I said "I'M OUTTA HERE!"  I went to another clinic and the girl there had NO trouble.

A couple of days ago I had another one take it way down on my arm.  I don't know what they are teaching these people now.  But it is very very bad when they can't do their jobs well.

Valued Contributor

I go to the same lab every time I need to have blood drawn.  Each person who has drawn my blood has done so with no pain to me. They are easily able to find my veins, gently insert the needle, and I leave with very little blood on the Band Aid they put on.  One time, I had to go someplace else and my arm looked like I had been through a war. They couldn't find my vein even though my veins are quite pronounced and I was showing her the good vein. My poor arm was swollen and black and blue for quite a while.  I'll stick (pardon the pun) with my regular lab.          docsgirl

Honored Contributor

I can't remember ever having my blood work done in the PCP's office.  I always take a script to Quest or Lab Corp.  I don't think having it done in his office is even an option, but if it were, like you, I'd still ask for a script.  I don't even trust their blood pressure readings and neither does the doctor himself.  Figure that one out!

Honored Contributor

Many years ago I worked as an IV team nurse in a major medical center. We were only allowed to have a 1/2% miss rate to keep that job - that is only one miss in 200 attempts. I thought that was an unreasonable expectation but, in fact, when all you do all day is insert needles into veins you become very skilled at it. We could even get in needles during cardiac arrests when the veins were essentially collapsed. it is best, esp. if you have bad veins, to go to a provider where the people drawing are VERY experienced because that is all they do all day.

Honored Contributor

Before a surgery I had awhile back, a nurse (yes, the nurse) was drawing blood from my hand. It hurt so bad that I actually almost vomited and passed out. I have a pretty high tolerance of pain and have never been in so much pain that I almost vomited. Needless to say, he couldn't get the blood to flow correctly so they had to do it over. The second time wasn't so painful.

Valued Contributor

Sorry to say but, "practice makes perfect".

Respected Contributor

No problem with blood being drawn at LabCorp or Quest vs. in the doctor's office.  I get it tested before my appt. and the doctor goes over the results with me.

However, I had 2 major problems with donating blood at Red Cross blood drives.  After discussing the situations with the headquarters rep, I now ask for the most experienced phlebotomist and will wait for that person despite my having a scheduled appt.  Too, I only go to blood drives where there will be a large turnout.

HTH someone else !!!!!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Regular Contributor

It has just been in the last year or so that this office even had medical assistants. I looked up a school here in Pittsburgh that offers a course that takes 8 months!  My DIL went to a university for 4 yrs. to be a phlebotomist. 

From now on I'll go to Quest, free parking and very short wait time.