Honored Contributor

Re: Another bad experience with blood work

My PCP has a lab right in the office.  If he wants blood work, that is where I had it done.  They had separate women working in there who did  everything.  We can also get x-rays right in the doctor's office.

I switched PCPs a few months ago and had to have complete bloodwork done and get a head to toe physical to become a patient.  I went to a Clinic lab and had it drawn.  I have a huge, bulging vein in the crook of my left arm and once I point that out, you should see their eyes light up!  LOL        

Honored Contributor

My routine labs are performed by Lab Corp personnel, and they get the vein every time.   Also never had a problem with the Red Cross nurses in the donation center sticking me for my platelet donations.  With the large gauge needles they use, you definitely want success the first time.    

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I was at an emergency room at a good-size hospital a couple weeks ago.  The RN came to draw my blood and was unsuccessful.  I asked if they didn't have lab techs that did it and she indicated the nurses were responsible.  She went and found an EMT who was hanging around and he did it with no trouble.

Going to the ER is never a picnic.  Around here, unless you look like you are dying, it's a very long wait.

I hope you are ok.  Let everybody know how you are doing.

Esteemed Contributor

I have had well over 1000 blood draws. Sure I've had some bad ones  but for the most part they had no problems. Just got out of the hospital yesterday after a five day stay.

Blood draws are no problem for me and IVs usually are not either, But this times in the ER it them five tries to get in the IV. As most know the IV's syringe is a lot bigger than anything use for a blood draw. Not only that,they have  different size syringes that are measured in gauge size, the lower the number the bigger the syringe.

I have found in my many hospital stays that some are good at getting an IV Into your arm and others? Not so much. I guess having more than one stab in the arm to get a blood draw Is not that big a deal to me.  I am generally more concerned about what my problems might be  than how many times it takes them to get a needle in my arm.

I am sorry that this is a problem for your husband but let him know that he's not alone when it comes to this.  I honestly don't think it makes any difference where you go to do this there are just some people that are good at it and others that are not regardless of their titles. 

I hope the tests of your husband turn out well for him and wish you both the best.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

I routinely have blood work to manage certain medical conditions.   This often requires fasting.   One tip that makes it easier is make sure you are hydrated so that your veins are more available.   Drinking a couple glasses of water beforehand helps so that whoever is doing the blood draw won't have to poke around to find a viable vein.  Since I started hydrating beforehand, I have had no trouble.   No one else mentioned this but it was helpful to me.

Honored Contributor

Being a type 1 diabetic for over 35 years I've had my share of blood tests. I can actually count on one hand the unsuccessful blood draws I've had. My doctor is located in a medical facility that has their own lab. I just walk about 20 feet from his office and sign in for my blood work. Thank goodness its easy for me since I need to have a LOT of blood work to live.

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

@marmot24 wrote:

Well today DH went for blood work at our PCP.  They now have "medical assistants" draw the blood. It took 3 of them 6 tries to finally get some.  I had a similar experience last month when I went. That's the last time I let them touch either of us.  Next time I'll get a script and go to Quest, where they have actual phlebotomists

Is this becoming common practice?

PCP are bringing more services into their offices as it is another revenue stream.  Staffing it with Med Assistants allows for more profiits.

Regular Contributor

Browneyedgirl...I think you're right about saving the practice money.  They even cut back to 1 receptionist who has to check in patients, answer the phone and deal with other office duties.  Sometimes when you call the office, during office hours, you get a machine telling you to leave a message.  That's no fun if you're calling to request a same day appointment.

Esteemed Contributor

@marmot24 wrote:

Browneyedgirl...I think you're right about saving the practice money.  They even cut back to 1 receptionist who has to check in patients, answer the phone and deal with other office duties.  Sometimes when you call the office, during office hours, you get a machine telling you to leave a message.  That's no fun if you're calling to request a same day appointment.

"negrom" gave you very great advice as being well hydrated can for most make a huge difference when having  blood work done. My recent ER experience was harder because my infection caused me to be dehydrated. Being an athlete most of my life and working in a hot factory, hydration was always very important to me.

I hope your husband's tests come back with good results. I want to thank you for your thoughts and kind words to my wife and myself during my current medical issue, it means very much to both of us. 

My best to you and your husband,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@marmot24 wrote:

Well today DH went for blood work at our PCP.  They now have "medical assistants" draw the blood. It took 3 of them 6 tries to finally get some.  I had a similar experience last month when I went. That's the last time I let them touch either of us.  Next time I'll get a script and go to Quest, where they have actual phlebotomists

Is this becoming common practice?

Anything to save money!  Next they'll have the cleaning lady drawing blood