Respected Contributor

Re: Another Romaine Lettuce scare.

My husband told me about this yesterday.  I pitched out a package of romain lettuce and while I was at it I pitched the head of iceberg lettuce as well.  We are done with lettuce, period.

Honored Contributor

this is disappointing! my favorite lettuce. 

do you all think iceberg or other lettuce is safe?

i like salad alot and i like lettuce in it. do you make salad that is good with no lettuce??

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

@CherryHugs wrote:

this is disappointing! my favorite lettuce. 

do you all think iceberg or other lettuce is safe?

i like salad alot and i like lettuce in it. do you make salad that is good with no lettuce??

@CherryHugs

It’s just romaine.  

Plenty of other leafy lettuces out there.

Respected Contributor

My question is why is this contamination problem only connected to Romaine lettuce as opposed to all of the other kinds of lettuce? Also, what is causing the problem with this particular type of lettuce (so that the problem can be resolved), and which brands of Romaine lettuce, or which growing fields of Romaine lettuce are behind the actual illnesses reported thus far?  Why are we not privy to this important information? 

Just found this from NBC News posted four hours ago, however:

"“The strain that caused that outbreak is very similar to the one that’s causing this outbreak and the timing is exactly the same. So it’s likely associated with end-of-season harvests in California, where most of the romaine that is currently on the market is from,” Gottlieb told NBC News."

Honored Contributor

@Jersey Born

This is a good podcast to listen to (also transcript to the left) 

which explains how this happens.

The romaine fields are near a Cattle Feedlot. 

The E. coli strain is only carried by animals.

Until the animal industry cleans up their side,

there’s a good chance this will happen again.

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2018/08/24/641739640/episode-861-food-scare-squad

A907AA0E-87C0-4914-9ED4-C11430B16F9C.jpeg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My trucker daughter said she sees porta-potties out in the fields where crops are growing.