Respected Contributor

Re: @Annabellethecat, regarding your knee replacements.......

Bless you having both knees done at once. I just had my right one done a few weeks ago. They are pleased with my recovery so far. I still have to gain strength. Just wanted to say  I ask the therapist about doing both at once and he told me one usually lags behind when both are done at once so perhaps that is some of your problem.

Honored Contributor

Glad you're recovering well, @CLHS68

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624, that's exactly what's happening.  In 2014, I had my first one and it was like a miracle, almost no pain.  In 2015, worked but not quite as well.  In May, I received my third.  Not as good.  I get SynvisOne which I don't think is a steroid.  It made up of rooster feathers or something.  

My doctor suggested that I come back in six months.  I told him that was too soon and he said that you can now get them more often.  I didn't believe him.  I almost bone to bone in the right knee.  By the time I have to have a replacement, my plan F might not pay all of the cost anymore.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66, at the facility that I go for working out, there are several people that I see walking around with a straight line down the front of their knee.  I always ask them if they are better and it's half and half saying things are better.  One of the instructors looks to be only in her early forties or fifties.  Probably had an accident.  She says hers turned out perfectly.  Being young probably helped.

Hope your back gets better, too.

Honored Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie  I thought you were referring to the cortisone shots but the Synvisc is similar in the way people react to it.  It was made from the combs of roosters but now they've got it new and improved.  I never had it because I talked to too many people who thought it was just a big rip-off to make doctors rich. 

I think anyone on Medicare ought to have their surgeries ASAP.  Who knows what it'll cover and how much later. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie My is only complicated by my back.  I'd definitely say I'm much better off after having knee replacement.  I always say, "From the minute I hopped (yes hopped) down from the operating table to the hospital bed, I heard the angels singing".  I am saying, I had almost no pain from the very beginning.  Really, hard to believe but I had very little pain (if you knew how bad I was BEFORE the operation, you'd understand.

I can't complain about the knee, it isn't because of the operation, it's because of my back.  I can feel the pull from the back muscle down to the back of the knee.

I'd advise ANYONE who needs knee surgery if the other knee is bad, please don't wait (unless it isn't that bad) to think, "I'll get the other one done in a few months".  If you think about it, there isn't much difference in getting both done (again, if it is necessary).

There was no way the other knee would support the new knee, it was that bad.

Never regretted any of it for one minute.  I think if people don't put in the 'work" of exercising your knees, you'll regret it.  One reason my knee is still bothering me when I sit for a long time is because I'm not able to work it out like I should. 

It will all come in time.  I know that because it's up to me and I will see to it that it works out.  Ha!

Gotta get those go go white boots a' workin'!

Honored Contributor

Glad that you see the rainbow at the end of the tunnel @Annabellethecat66.  

It's a hard decision for me because they don't hurt all of the time.  Just in the morning for a few minutes or when I overwork them, like yesterday.  Then there's the putting a pillow under the right one at night for sleep.  When I'm up and about, there is no pain.  I walk very well, even fast.  Can't wear high heels, though because it's hard to get up with them on from a low chair plus I have arthritis in my feet which can't be fixed.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm having my right knee done in October. My doctor uses a muscle sparing technique that decreases the incision size and he doesn't have to cut into the muscle thereby less pain and a quicker healing time. I'm kinda nervous but kinda want to get it done. 

Honored Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie Went back to the Dr yesterday (his office called me this morning and said I should come in.  I went in and Dr looked at it, cleaned it and said it was slightly infected, put medicine on it and gave me some.  He said it hurts because the body is TRYING to heal it and sending extra blood to the knee causing it to swell....(GREAT)!  Ha!

Anyway, I have to go back again next Thursday.  If you could see how small the spot is it's just stupid all of this for this tiny boo boo....stay tuned.  I never do anything easy.  Yuck!

Honored Contributor

That's great that the healing is progressing well, @Annabellethecat66.  I'm assuming you're talking about the slower healing knee?  

All of the knees that I have seen have a long vertical scar.  One lady told me that she didn't mind it because her pain was so much better.  I've seen several because I exercise at a health center where quite a few seniors go and there is a physical therapy clinic within it.  I guess the clinic tells them to get regular exercise.   A lot of hip replacement recipients are there, too.  I can usually tell by the way they walk.