Honored Contributor

Re: Angry at assistant in Eye Doctors office

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@Sooner  Yes it is when one can't hear what they are being told at a **medical appointment**. Then it IS a problem.

@Love my grandkids I apologize.  I shouldn't judge by my life. It is insensitive. 

Honored Contributor

@pattiewaddle, you were probably more frustrated with her than angry.  I find that it's better to speak slower, not necessarily louder if a person isn't understood.

I hate those long glaucoma eye exams because the ophthalmologist gets right in your face.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

I sometimes can't understand people who are wearing a mask.  It is what it is.

Times are difficult and we have to adjust for now.  I just say " I am sorry I can't understand you through the mask, can you speak up and speak slower?"

I never felt the need to be angry or frustrated or wanting to leave.  For all I know, the person could have a speech problem.

I have worked with the public all of my life and I guess not much upsets me anymore.

Esteemed Contributor

It is beyond me that many in the various health care fields do not  enunciate  nor speak  in a tone  for patients who may have some hearing impairments  .  Most medical professions  incorporate some sort of training  for care of the handicapped or aging population however you don't always see it put to use. Had a relative that was sight and hearing impaired .  I spent so much time as my family members advocate in asking various medical staff , Physicians  , nurses, Phlebotomy staff ,  Social workers , Physical therapists ,  culinary staff ect to speak  louder,  speak  more clearly & slowly  and  make their voices a less shrill .  It was frustrating . I found various staff just would not make an effort - porr customer service attitudes. 

Regular Contributor

@pattiewaddle wrote:

Had all my testing done and was back for my report from the Dr. Assistant came in and checked the pressure in both eyes and with her mask on and me with mine all it was a mumble and I ask her to repeat what she said and this went on through  the entire visit and I told her I can't understand a word you are saying I was ready to leave and stood up and the Dr. came and he knowes me so well and ask what was wrong so I told him  he made some excuse and went on with my report which was very good.  Thank goodness. I do not want her anymore.....was I right or wrong

Thank you for all your opinions. I was angry at the situation and ask several times to have  her repeat and no help at all from her.I  do not seem to have a hearing problem just bad situation.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

At work we are all, of course, wearing masks and we also have a huge plastic barrier between us and the public. It is extremely hard to hear with the masks, the plastic barrier and just regular noise in general. It's just the times we live in. I would have insisted that she speak up and mention to the doctor that you could not understand anything that she said and be more firm with the doctor. I would not let him just poo poo it off with an excuse. You need to be able to understand medical information being given to you. 

Honored Contributor

Oh, I bet the doctor knows you and has you pegged as a complainer. Why else make an excuse? Otherwise the doctor could have said "I realize this has been an issue for you and others. What can I clarify for you?" If you were angry and stood up to leave, then I'd answer by saying you were wrong.
Honored Contributor

I am sure you are not the first one that had a hard time hearing. 

The same thing  happens where I work.  I have a teacher's voice and customers can easily understand me.  Not everyone can be easily understood.

Honored Contributor

@pattiewaddle 

Were you right or wrong about WHAT?   

If you couldn't understand and repeatedly asked for clarification, ask for another person to help you.  Are you sure the person could understand you behind your mask?  Maybe she thought you were mumbling and just kept talking because she couldn't understand you. 

Behind masks these days, it seems everybody is mumbling and difficult to understand.

Honored Contributor

@skatting44,

Yes, I've experienced the same

and feel just the same way!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"