Regular Contributor

Angry at assistant in Eye Doctors office

Had all my testing done and was back for my report from the Dr. Assistant came in and checked the pressure in both eyes and with her mask on and me with mine all it was a mumble and I ask her to repeat what she said and this went on through  the entire visit and I told her I can't understand a word you are saying I was ready to leave and stood up and the Dr. came and he knowes me so well and ask what was wrong so I told him  he made some excuse and went on with my report which was very good.  Thank goodness. I do not want her anymore.....was I right or wrong

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Angry at assistant in Eye Doctors office

Sadly, it is what it is, masks make it hard to understand what people are saying, it is the natuire of this beast. My DH had hand surgery a few weeks ago, the nurse came out to talk to me about his home care and I too, could not understand her, she wrote it down for me. 

Esteemed Contributor

I think you were right. If this went on thru the entire visit, in my opinion, she should have tried to speak a little louder and clearer. It is hard sometimes to understand people thru masks, and I would think we would all know that by now. Also, if it weren't for YOU and other customers, SHE wouldn't have a JOB. I wish some people could realize that. They don't appreciate our patronage, obviously. 

I had a little twit at a doctors office be snitty to me, and I changed doctors. Like the new one better anyhow.

Honored Contributor

If you couldn't understand what a medical assistant was saying, you were certainly right to speak up and say so.  It's important that a patient hear when medical information is being relayed.  Perhaps the doctor will take some action to rectify the situation. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@pattiewaddle wrote:

Had all my testing done and was back for my report from the Dr. Assistant came in and checked the pressure in both eyes and with her mask on and me with mine all it was a mumble and I ask her to repeat what she said and this went on through  the entire visit and I told her I can't understand a word you are saying I was ready to leave and stood up and the Dr. came and he knowes me so well and ask what was wrong so I told him  he made some excuse and went on with my report which was very good.  Thank goodness. I do not want her anymore.....was I right or wrong

I remember a couple of years ago I had hearing issues and needed a myringotomy. Anyway on one of my appointments I had to keep asking for things to be repeated. It was an ENT clinic , and I couldn't hear . I finally snapped at the audiologist, " I can't hear dude ."  This is not my way but my tolerance was at an end. You have every right to be miffed.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

In today's world, an inconvenience not a problem. 

Honored Contributor

No, you were not wrong @pattiewaddle !

It is her job to make sure she can be understood-mask or no mask!

And you should not have had to tell her many times.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Sooner  Yes it is when one can't hear what they are being told at a **medical appointment**. Then it IS a problem.

Esteemed Contributor

You are correct.  Visits are costly, time consuming, exposure to covid and necessary for you to get the correct information.   People are being paid for their services.

Everybody has a bad day that does not reflect on you needing to know what's going on and being treated appropriately.

Respected Contributor

I think you were angry at the situation - trying to hear her through a mask. I think you're asking our opinion because you know you shouldn't be angry at her, you feel guilty and want validation.

I'm sure she's a nice person who has to wear a mask 8 hours a day, for the past year