Honored Contributor

Re: Andrew Lessman's Vitamin K2-MK7

[ Edited ]

@susan kay wrote:

Sometimes people think that the can take any supplement or OTC aid.  My personal opinion is that they should check with their doctor first.  When I go for my annual physical, my doctor always wants to know everything that I'm taking, including vitamins and pain meds.

The majority of physicians know diddly squat about supplements. They get 4 hours of training in med school on it.  Most of us know more than they do ....let me assure you. 

Holistic Dr.'s and naturopaths know more than regular M.D.'s.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

Andrew's latest blog post. There's info on K2-MK7 throughout the post...

___

VITAMIN D.  
THE MOST IMPORTANT VITAMIN. 
THE MOST ECONOMICAL VITAMIN.

Generally when something is the most important and exceptional thing of its kind, it is also the most expensive.  Plus, when that thing is also the most scarce, we would once again expect it to be even more expensive given its scarcity.  How often do we find something that is the most important member of its class while also the least expensive?  I actually can’t think of anything that is exceptionally important and extremely rare yet at the same time incredibly inexpensive.  That is, anything except Vitamin D.  Of course, it is important to do our best to consume on a daily basis all essential vitamins; however, Vitamin D is a stand out, it is essential to countless processes in our body, but it is also the one vitamin that is glaringly deficient from the American diet (even the best diets).  As a result, over the last couple of decades, Vitamin D has been recognized for its epidemic insufficiency in America.  The deficiency of Vitamin D3 has been referred to as a “pandemic” (a worldwide epidemic) by experts.  It has even been proposed that the ever-declining health of Americans may be linked to our declining levels of Vitamin D. It is even more troubling when you consider Vitamin D’s scarcity alongside its importance to our most important systems and how low levels are associated with health risks. Vitamin D supplementation is not only easy, it is also the most affordable. It is both our easiest to swallow capsule and our least expensive capsule. For the cost of a cup of coffee, you’re talking about a few weeks of Vitamin D and for the cost of a movie ticket, you’re probably looking at almost 6 months.  Simply stated, although our Vitamin D3 is the highest quality you can find, its cost is just pennies per day. In fact, when it comes to Vitamin D, the only real price we pay is if we choose to ignore and not address our unhealthy levels of this vital nutrient.

When it comes to our health, so much of our focus is on avoiding disease and illness.  As I repeatedly emphasize during my shows, whether we are seeking to avoid cancer or heart disease or Alzheimer’s or senile dementia, the basic advice really does not change.  You significantly reduce your risk of all of these diseases if you “move” through your life as close to your ideal weight as possible (and when I say move, I mean move).  Our society and its most powerful economic influences conspire to see us overweight and obese. In just a few short decades, we have gone from a society where obesity and overweight were rare to a country where it is the norm and affecting three-quarters of us!  Unbeknownst to most folks, overweight and obesity have drastically increased our risk of not just heart disease, high blood pressure, stroke and diabetes, but also cancer, depression, dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.  Overweight and obesity does not benefit anyone except those powerful economic influences who profit by it…those who overfeed us horribly unhealthy foods and then those who thrive by our illness (drug companies and medical providers).  Above, I said we should “move” through life at our ideal weight, since a long healthy life requires we not merely live, but move.  That does not mean you need to be running marathons, but that we must spend more time up and about, moving around, and less time just sitting around.  

By the way, just moving more and being more active will make us much healthier regardless of whether we lose a single pound.  Just being more active pays huge health dividends regardless of weight loss.  The concept of moving, and moving forward, reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from one of baseball’s all-time best players who even pitched in the major leagues when he was close to 60 years old!  His name was Satchel Paige and he advised that in life, “you should not look back, since someone might be gaining on you.”  Whether we realize it or not, our lives are an all too brief journey and I think Satchel was right that we should not focus on the past (look back) since effectively, there is always “someone” gaining on us.  We should always do our best to move forward optimistically and positively, but above all, keep moving as best we can, since life is about moving forward and what comes next is gaining on us more rapidly if we sit around and wait for it.  Satchel Paige’s athletic longevity was legendary, but I have always loved the wisdom of some of his other quotes, such as, “Age is just mind over matter.  If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter” and also, “How old would you be if you did not know how old you are?”  As we are all aging, these are pearls of wisdom I remind myself of frequently.  Hopefully, I did not mangle Satchel’s quotes, since he was a remarkable man that I have always admired.  

You might be wondering why and how this discussion could possibly be relevant to Vitamin D and it is actually pretty simple. By being American we are moving through life with less than healthy Vitamin D levels and, by being overweight or obese, those levels tend to be far worse.  This becomes more alarming when you also consider the myriad of population studies that associate lower levels of Vitamin D with an increased risk of the degenerative diseases I discussed above and that are now epidemic in our society.  Sadly, a low Vitamin D level is just the latest factor associated with our society’s ever-deteriorating health.  The only silver-lining to that cloud is that correcting a low Vitamin D level is cheap and easy to do.  First of all, just like cholesterol or blood pressure, everyone should know their Vitamin D level.  I recommend above 50 ng/ml (nanograms per milliliter) and ideally between 60 ng/ml and 80 ng/ml.  This can be accomplished for just pennies per day.  If I were to take a page from Satchel Paige’s book, “someone” or something is always gaining on us, but with unhealthy Vitamin D levels they will be gaining on us much more quickly.  In one long sentence, I can summarize some basic requirements for a long healthy life with a reduced risk of the above diseases: We should actively move through our lives as close to possible to our ideal weight while eating a diet rich in fresh vegetables, fruit, nuts and seeds, while also avoiding unhealthy processed and fast food and added sugar.  Additionally, a simple and inexpensive thing to do would be to also add a quality Vitamin D supplement, so that while you are doing the above, you are doing so with healthy a Vitamin D level.  It does not have to be my Vitamin D formula, but we should all know our Vitamin D level and make the tiny investment required to keep it in the healthy normal range.  I will discuss this in far greater depth today and tomorrow.

We will also have Calcium Magnesium Intensive Care available as a second Today’s Special product, since it is so often consumed with Vitamin D3 for bone health.  As discussed above, we now know Vitamin D’s benefits go far beyond Calcium absorption and bone health to also include the healthy function and aging of our most important systems, particularly our brain. Our Calcium Magnesium Intensive Care has a few things in common with our Vitamin D3, the first being its incredible affordability at only a few pennies per capsule and the second being how uniquely gentle it is on the stomach and digestive system.  Unlike typical Calcium products, it does not come in a rock-like horse pill and instead, you will enjoy a small easy to swallow capsule that contains an easy to absorb ultra-fine powder that will cause no stomach upset at all…even to those with very sensitive digestive systems.  It is the most sensible way to deliver the extra Calcium and Magnesium required for bone health.  There has been some discussion lately that perhaps added Calcium might not be entirely beneficial to the cardiovascular system; however, there is no escaping the fact that Calcium is essential and a basic requirement for our skeletal health, so there is an intelligent need to address skeletal Calcium requirements while also respecting arterial and heart health. My approach has been to avoid some of those extreme recommended dosages of thousands of milligrams per day of Calcium and to provide more moderate levels of higher quality Calcium (between 500 mgs and 1,000 mgs daily) and to always do so with adequate levels of Vitamin D3 (without which the Calcium cannot be effectively absorbed) and to also be sure to deliver the Calcium with Magnesium together instead of mega-doses of Calcium on its own.  Again, I suppose I do not sound like someone who makes vitamins when I tell you that intelligently using less Calcium can benefit you more.  Additionally, in recent years, I have also recommended something that I have personally done for several years and it is an exceptional addition for those who want to maximize the benefits of Calcium and that is a vitamin referred to as Vitamin K2 MK-7.  It is very different from Vitamin K1 and plays a critical role in the management of Calcium in the body.  I refer to it as the “traffic cop” for Calcium movement in the body, since it insures that Calcium is effectively utilized and retained by the bones where it is required and not deposited in the arteries where it is not desired.  Vitamin K2 MK-7 is by far and away the most important form of Vitamin K to supplement and its role goes far beyond the simply blood clotting role of Vitamin K1.  Our Vitamin K2 MK-7 comes in a small easy to swallow liquid capsule.  It will be available this weekend at Today’s Special Savings, but because it is relatively new and difficult to make, we will not have an abundant supply.  Lastly, if you are taking any anti-clotting drugs (such as warfarin, coumadin, etc.), you should consult with your physician before consuming any form of Vitamin K. However, these drugs interfere with the normal, healthy role of Vitamin K2 in the body and therefore can interfere with arterial health, so I would recommend talking to an enlightened physician who will seek to manage a healthy Vitamin K2 status notwithstanding the use of anticoagulant meds.  This is an important topic of discussion, since most folks taking these meds do not realize that they can be undermining their health indirectly and that there is a more intelligent and holistic way to go about their use, but of course, such actions should be only undertaken with your physician.  Sadly, many physicians rely primarily on drug companies for their information, so this sort of information is not openly discussed. Like Statin drugs for cholesterol, where levels of CoQ10 are suppressed and therefore require supplementation, an enlightened approach to anticoagulant therapy should also consider the role of Vitamin K2 in arterial and bone health and the potential interference that these meds have on normal Vitamin K2 and Calcium metabolism.  I am sure more doctors will embrace this in the years to come.

Sorry to have gotten a bit technical and off-topic there at the end, but I will try to make all of this easier to understand during my shows throughout the weekend.  I will also discuss Vitamin K2 MK-7 in greater depth during our next online event. See you this evening at 11 PM and midnight Eastern Time and then tomorrow at 11 AM and 8 PM Eastern.  Have a wonderful weekend!

Best of health.

Andrew

___

Honored Contributor

I have to sgree, MD's are not trained in supplements and have no clue when you ask them about it. Some docs are trained in alternative med as well as traditonal, such as Dr Andrew Weil, who I trust explicitely.

Honored Contributor

MD's aren't trained in nutrition either.

My NP that I see for my annual physical and blookwork is mercifully aware of Whole30 and actually attemped a Whole30 in the last year.

Refreshing!

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I have taken his MK 7 for last few years along with 2 other forms of K, I take high dose of calcium, and feel it is necessary to keep the calcium absorbed away from the heart. I have a physical every year , and no issues with my blood when it is tested. His dosage is not a very high amount. I take his MK7 over others a lot less expensive since his is made from a flower, not from fermented soy called natto.  My bone density remains holding so I wont give up my calcium.

@Shelbelle I've heard about K2/MK7 for a number of years but, somehow, I never really investigated it. Initially, I had a hard time understanding how the basic supplement components for bon health all work together:

* Calcium/Magnesium -- Do you really need the magnesium (yes, you do). What's the upper limit on how much of these covalent ions you can take together, in one sitting, before the dosages actually starts becoming less efffective. And for that reason, you need to take iron separately from them (because iron is also a covalent ion).

Vitamin D -- Make sure to take it with a bit of oil because vitamin D is fat-soluble.

Boron -- Needed to help make calcium and magnesium more bioavailable.

So somehow, K2/MK7 got lost in all this information. And because Andrew wasn't really hyping it I didn't take it as seriously. Of course now I understand it better and I'm ordering it today.

___

I did take Enzymedica's Nattokinese some years back in order to dissolve some large fibroid tumors. The Nattokinese, along with Whole World Botanicals Royal Maca, completely dissolve the the fibroid tumors over time. To the extent to which my gastroenterologist is dubious about whether I actually ever had fibroud tumors (lol, he needs to talk to the ultrasound technician who was stunned by them... different hospital and different staff). 

I know that Nattokinese is a blood cleanser/purifier, so I'm guessing that the MK7 helps to clean your veins and arteries. -- when I spoke to Andrews's customer service department last week about K2/MK7, I was surprised to find that they didn't use natto as the source of their MK7, but rather use this flower source.

FYI, I think that unless you've grown up in Japan eating natto, that's you'd never ever ever want to eat it. It was one of the worst things that I have ever smelled (I could not even bring myself to taste it).

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@june22 wrote:

I am surprised that so many people hail their Doctor  as the one to ask about natural supplements. 

I would never put that much trust into a Doctor. I take a lot of supplements...have for over 25 years. I never tell my doctor all I take.  I tell them what they seem to want to hear.  Most Doctors know nothing about natural supplements.  I take no phamacuticals, and would have to be on deaths bed if I ever did. Maybe not even then. I think some people are too trusting when it comes to their healthcare. Too many tests, too many drugs doled out like candy. That is where your health starts going down hill.

i find it amusing that one talks about doctors giving out medication like candy when, in reality, it is the supplement industry which encourages people to buy more and more supplements and other "natural" products -- none of whih are required to have any sort of research or safety testing.  The fact is that doctors go to college, medical school, go through residency, internships, and continue learning throughout their careers.  I would daresay that these people are a tad more qualified than those who "researcH" via web search engines or minimum wage clerks who work in health food stores.

Seriously, use a bit of common sense here.

Again, there are some supplements which can be advantageous, ,but in many cases, it is just a waste of money.  At worst, people can do serious harm by ignoring real, scientifcally-based treatments for "alternative" therapies.  Just ask Steve Jobs how these "alternaties" worked for him.  Or, how about asking the woman on dialysis who overdosed on so many "natural" supplements that her kidneys shut down.

The medical advice of a medical doctor is imperative and far more important to have than the advice of anonymous people on the internet, peddlers of quack products, or posters on shopping channel forums.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Seriously? Maybe a few decades ago doctors knew more but these days we have access to all the same info and studies. We also have more interest & time to reseach those studies than doctors do.

I never, ever take what any doctor tells me as fact without researching it. I often learn the doctor's facts are not correct. They are often outdated info. 

I'm the one who cares the most about my health. I have the most to lose & the most to gain. I make my decisions carefully. 

Respected Contributor

I religiously take my Ca citrate , vitamin D3 5000 units and magnesium citrate every day. Love Andrew Lessman stuff,but Ca and Magnesiun I buy from Solgar in the liquid form, take 2 table spoons and done. I cannot swallow these pills anymore.

all of these things are super important but  doctors ignore it..  

The bottom line is many doctors become ones only because their parents force them into the field. 

Honored Contributor

Anyone know what the regular price & quantity is for Andrew's K2-MK7. You can still get the TS pricing with free shipping on his site today. I already ordered the largest size. He also still has special pricing with free shipping that will probably end tonight. Hope he starts doing K2-MK7 as a TS combo when he does the Calcium/Mag, D3 specials.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

Anyone know what the regular price & quantity is for Andrew's K2-MK7. You can still get the TS pricing with free shipping on his site today. I already ordered the largest size. He also still has special pricing with free shipping that will probably end tonight. Hope he starts doing K2-MK7 as a TS combo when he does the Calcium/Mag, D3 specials.

@Nightowlz the regular K2/MK7 price for the largest size is $10 more than the special $60 price. It's not so much of a TS, as just the general HSN shows price break.-- lol, when I placed my order at Procaps, I told the rep that I'd like appreciate a bit more of a price break on the K2/MK7 when he's offering it during the cal/mag & Vitamin D TS since the K2/MK7 helps the cal/mag work more effectively. 

His special pricing (usually including the TS) remain in effect until 9am PT (noon ET) on monday but, if you place your order after the final HSN show, then you have to order it on the Procaps website. 

I have the feeling that they do this because the HSN special pricing stays in effect until midnight ET on sunday, so they have the same offer. Probably their IT department can't program the special offers to terminate at midnight, and so they make the changes when they come on monday morning.

-- bebe Smiley Happy