Super Contributor

Andrew Lessman's Vitamin K2-MK7

[ Edited ]

I know Andrew will be pitching this supplement over the weekend, to be taken along with his vitamin D3 & calcium/mag. But the more I read about vitamin K online the more I wonder if this is a wise supplement choice. Many sites say that people shouldn't supplement vitamin K unless specifically told to do so by their doctor. Vitamin K affects blood clotting, among other things.

Does anybody have thoughts on this or are currently taking Andrew's K2-MK7?

Honored Contributor

Re: Andrew Lessman's Vitamin K2-MK7

I have taken his MK 7 for last few years along with 2 other forms of K, I take high dose of calcium, and feel it is necessary to keep the calcium absorbed away from the heart. I have a physical every year , and no issues with my blood when it is tested. His dosage is not a very high amount. I take his MK7 over others a lot less expensive since his is made from a flower, not from fermented soy called natto.  My bone density remains holding so I wont give up my calcium.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I plan to listen to the presentation on this and then do some more research on it on PubMed.

I have been concentrating on cardiovascular disease and bone health in my research.  I have not found a long term study on CVD that has a proven outcome with no down side.

I did find this Japanese study about bone health done over a 12 month period that shows  positive outcomes and no negative outcomes.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23702931

This is a positive 3 year study, but it doesn't speak of side-effects in the abstract:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23525894

The other theme I see in these studies is "low dose" (1.5mg per day vs 45mg per day as the standard OTC dose).

I will be interested to see what his dosing is in the TS. 

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Trusted Contributor

Sometimes people think that the can take any supplement or OTC aid.  My personal opinion is that they should check with their doctor first.  When I go for my annual physical, my doctor always wants to know everything that I'm taking, including vitamins and pain meds.

Trusted Contributor

Before taking ANY supplement, speak to a doctor.  Do not rely on "research" done on Google University.  The internet is filled with misinformation published by people with an agenda and a lack of basic scientific knowledge.

Do not rely on the presentations of someone whose goal is to sell you things.  While Lessman is a likeable guy, and he seems to be informatve, he ultimately wants you to buy things.

I do like Lessman's supplements beause they are powdered and do not cause stomach upset.  I think the quality is good, but ultimately, I only take what my doctors think I should take (his multivitamin and Coenzyme Q 10) because, in many cases, the thing taking so many supplements does is produce expensive urine.

Honored Contributor

When you take Calcium you also need some Magnesium, D3 & K2-MK7 in the right amounts so it's ditributed throughout your body where you need it like your bones & teeth. You don't want it going to your arteries or soft tissues. When you take Vit D3 you need some K2 to keep it from hardening your arteries. They all work in conjunction with each other. You can research online to find all this info. From what I understand K1 is more for blood clotting.  

Trusted Contributor

I am surprised that so many people hail their Doctor  as the one to ask about natural supplements. 

I would never put that much trust into a Doctor. I take a lot of supplements...have for over 25 years. I never tell my doctor all I take.  I tell them what they seem to want to hear.  Most Doctors know nothing about natural supplements.  I take no phamacuticals, and would have to be on deaths bed if I ever did. Maybe not even then. I think some people are too trusting when it comes to their healthcare. Too many tests, too many drugs doled out like candy. That is where your health starts going down hill.

Honored Contributor

@june22 wrote:

I am surprised that so many people hail their Doctor  as the one to ask about natural supplements. 

I would never put that much trust into a Doctor. I take a lot of supplements...have for over 25 years. I never tell my doctor all I take.  I tell them what they seem to want to hear.  Most Doctors know nothing about natural supplements.  I take no phamacuticals, and would have to be on deaths bed if I ever did. Maybe not even then. I think some people are too trusting when it comes to their healthcare. Too many tests, too many drugs doled out like candy. That is where your health starts going down hill.

Exactly. The doctors I have seen don't know squat about supplements. The doctor I have now says it's a waste of money because it goes in one end & right out the other. He has his opinion & I have mine. My doctor has the whole list of my supplements. None of the doctors I have seen like it. They also don't like that I get online to do my research & question them. One was very concerned with the amount of supplements I take. LOL!!! Concerned about what??? Probably because the only prescription drug I take is NP Thyroid. The doctors give out one pill that causes a problem then gives you another drug for that problem & that drug causes another problem & so on. Before you know it you have a whole shoe box of pills to take. I'm not going there.

Trusted Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@june22 wrote:

Exactly. The doctors I have seen don't know squat about supplements. The doctor I have now says it's a waste of money because it goes in one end & right out the other. He has his opinion & I have mine. My doctor has the whole list of my supplements. None of the doctors I have seen like it. They also don't like that I get online to do my research & question them. One was very concerned with the amount of supplements I take. LOL!!! Concerned about what??? Probably because the only prescription drug I take is NP Thyroid. The doctors give out one pill that causes a problem then gives you another drug for that problem & that drug causes another problem & so on. Before you know it you have a whole shoe box of pills to take. I'm not going there.

@Nightowlz  So well put!  I go for my insurance annual, have blood tests, and the usual tests done as per my age.....but I only do what I choose to do. The last few years I have had joint replacement....by choice as I was miserable. I took herbs and such without their knowing it the entire time...I did my research and knew what was fine to take and what I should not take. Best to just keep your mouth zipped and not give out too much information.......

Honored Contributor

Check with your doctor if you want but please be aware of his/her level of knowledge when it comes to supplements. And always do your own research, too. Then make an educated decision.

My doctor knows next to nothing about supplements. I would not dream of asking his advice. I do my research & am confident that my choices are healthy ones.

I live a very healthy lifestyle - nutrition & exercise - and take no prescription medications or pain meds of any kind. This is because I take care of myself.