Contributor

Andrew Lessman marine collagen peptides vs vital protein collagen

Hello, I have never tried any collagen products and am interested in trying it now. I'm debating between Andrew Lessman's marine collagen peptide and the Vital protein.  I've been taking Andrew Lessman's hair, skin and nail for  years, but now want to enhance those areas. I have a family member who has been diagnosed with androgenic alopecia, so maybe collagen can help him with his hair  as well. Kindly share your thoughts and your experience. I  appreciate your time and help. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Andrew Lessman marine collagen peptides vs vital protein collagen

[ Edited ]

Personally, I will not buy Lessman Marine, it is made from tilapia, which is a farm raised fish, I will only eat and buy wild caught fish. I use Hello Lovely collagen capsules, a blend of marine and other collagens, and the fish used is only cod. Find it on Amazon, take 2 caps per day and right now they are offering a coupon for 25% off the 120 count.  

Contributor

Thank you for your thoughts Shelbelle. I'll check it out. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use Lessman's Free Range collagen peptides. Just to present another option. I started with his Marine Collagen back in 2013-14, but the price went sky high and he came out with the Free Range. That's what I've used for the past few years. Honestly I don't notice a difference.

I've read about the pros and cons of tilapia and the info is interesting. It doesn't have as much omega 3 and it has more omega 6 than other fish and that could present a concern for inflammation for some people, I suppose. But it's regarded as a great lean and low calorie source of protein (but we're not having it for dinner lol).

There are other things about tilapia - that it's farm raised, that it grows in overcrowded conditions, and other that make it seem less desirable to consume.

I'm happy with the free range.

Valued Contributor

@Thats Me 

@Thats Me wrote:

I use Lessman's Free Range collagen peptides. Just to present another option. I started with his Marine Collagen back in 2013-14, but the price went sky high and he came out with the Free Range. That's what I've used for the past few years. Honestly I don't notice a difference.

I've read about the pros and cons of tilapia and the info is interesting. It doesn't have as much omega 3 and it has more omega 6 than other fish and that could present a concern for inflammation for some people, I suppose. But it's regarded as a great lean and low calorie source of protein (but we're not having it for dinner lol).

There are other things about tilapia - that it's farm raised, that it grows in overcrowded conditions, and other that make it seem less desirable to consume.

I'm happy with the free range.

I see that Andrew Lessman monthly special on HSN for February is the collegen,and I have been  using  the Marine Collegen from him for many years ,but sounds like you are very pleased  with the Free Range,I have also read some reviews about the Marine Collegen and the tilapia,but didn't know about the omega,very interesting

I remember when it was sky high in price  I started using another brand from another shopping channel .But the size was like monthly container and I do like that Andrew offers much bigger sizes ,so went back to Andrew's ,once his collegen came back on HSN, willing to try the Free Range,as heard from someone  if you are more vegetarian or vegan  that is why you would choose the Marine  collegen I'm not.

Price this month looks very tempting as heard Andrew say he will not have a collegen Special  till October or November .

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you're tempted to try the free range I would.

I think he said in one presentation a couple years ago that some people prefer the marine for beauty, some prefer the free range for joint. Something like that. And he said Muriel liked the marine for those beauty benefits. He said he used both. While I'm no expert I'm inclined to think the body doesn't know the difference (insofar as the stated benefits of collagen peptides) and responds the same to both forms. I started taking his collagen peptides, the marine which was all he had at the time, back in 2013-14 when I was having knee replacement surgeries. I've credited the collagen peptides to helping with mobility especially stairs after those surgeries. That sure didn't have anything to do with beauty lol!!!!! And I think the free range help my skin and other tissues, and help maintain mobility.

Just my opinion based solely on my own experience.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Andrew Lessman marine collagen peptides vs vital protein collagenI love

@lisandjen I love AL vitamins and his products in general, take them daily.  However, his marine collagen- not so much.  I prefer Vital Protiens (blue jar) and use that product daily in my coffee etc. 

Hard to explain the difference, almost texture related.  I've used several (Dr. Kellyann, Lessman-) still like the vital protiens-

Honored Contributor

Re: Andrew Lessman marine collagen peptides vs vital protein collagenI love

[ Edited ]

Collagen supps will not make hair grow back. What it does mostly is provide nutrients, in the form of amino acid proteins found in collagen, and those nutrients help maintain healthy hair, skin and nails. It will not make the scalp sprout new hairs but it might help keep the ones you do have from falling out.

Taking a particular type of collagen, either bovine or marine sourced, will not determine where the collagen will be used in the body. Collagen supps are used wherever the body needs it and there's no way to control that or even determine if your body recognizes the supp at all. It can pass right through. There's no way to know.