Esteemed Contributor
Anyone take this for low iron. Do you take one a day. I have anemia do to my auto immune disease. I had been taking them religiously after my August Jaw Surgery. But when I went back to my doctor in Nov my hemoglobin was still down a couple points from where it was before the surgery. Is it safe to take two pills. Or how long do you think it will take to work.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Andrew Lessman iron plus

[ Edited ]

Consult your Doctor, not us. It's possible to have too much iron, so no, don't just double your dose on a whim.
I'll bet your hemoglobin was somewhere between 9 and 16, all within an acceptable range for an adult female. If your doctor wants you to have more he'll tell you to. 

It's quite possible that your iron levels are fine and you'd benefit from boosting your protein intake instead.

Esteemed Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

Consult your Doctor, not us. It's possible to have too much iron, so no, don't just double your dose on a whim.
I'll bet your hemoglobin was somewhere between 9 and 16, all within an acceptable range for an adult female. If your doctor wants you to have more he'll tell you to. 

It's quite possible that your iron levels are fine and you'd benefit from boosting your protein intake instead.

So more protein will help boost your hemoglobin. Mine was around 9.8 in Nov.  It typically was a little over ten. I think the lab results say 12 is lowest for normal.  I have a bottle of regular iron pills the doctors prescribed but they are getting old so afraid to take them. The Lessman ones haven’t caused any stomach issues. I just want to see results.

Esteemed Contributor

I had a slow internal bleed, where I lost red cells a little faster than my body could replace them. First time to the ER my level was 6-something. Second time it was 4.3 and they couldnt believe I was still walking and talking. But the body can adapt if the loss is slow like that. ER staff told me they don't even consider the possibility of a transfusion unless the hemoglobin is below 8, and is combined with other conditions.

You need protein to make new red cells. The only time they gave me iron was to kick start my marrow which had grown sluggish from not making many red cells for a long time.
After about a year they had me stop taking the iron.
Valued Contributor

I had my nurse midwife tell me many years ago to mix blackstrap molasses in orange juice to help with low iron. Obviously a lot of sugar in a small dose, but this has been my remedy for years.. It looks like prune juice when mixed. 

Esteemed Contributor

I love molasses. 60 years ago, my sister and I used to sneak big spoonfuls when no one was looking. But nowadays it's easy for a healthy person to get enough iron in their diet I can get 50% or more of my daily iron in just one bowl of cereal.