Honored Contributor

Re: Andrew Lessman - October 2015 TS Info

I don't want the largest bundle as that would be 500 days worth for me since I take it once per day. But the smaller size is only 250 days. Not sure which I will get. 

I stopped taking calcium 3 times a day back when new research came out. 

Honored Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@CWS22 wrote:

The studies I've been reading about today have me a little more than concerned about calcium supplements now. I keep seeing over and over again that getting calcium from your diet is fine but when you get it from supplements, that's a different issue.

Apparently supplemented calcium is not as well absorbed by the body and while I know magnesium is supposed to help with that, there still appears to be a real danger of having too much calcium coursing through our system. Some say it can collect in the arteries and harden them or attach itself to plaque in the arteries. And for the excess calcium flowing out through the urine, apparently kidney stones can be the result. For men, an excess of calcium can have negative effects on the prostate.

I would like to see Andrew address these concerns but I can't imagine him doing so as that would probably spook people away - just as it has me second-guessing whether I'll be on board tonight or not. I definitely will be getting the vitamin D3 though as I fully agree there are multiple benefits to keeping that level in the good range.

But the other thing I never considered regarding calcium is the amount of it that's contained in the "fortified" foods we eat every day. Non-dairy milks, oatmeal, breakfast cereals, breads, orange juice, etc. The soy milk I drink every day has 45% of the RDA of calcium in one cup. 45% is a lot, that's 450 mgs.

So all of these "fortified" amounts of calcium we consume are considered supplemental calcium as they are add-ons and not naturally occuring in these foods. Add those amounts to the mgs of calcium supplements a person takes daily. Then add in the calcium naturally occurring in foods (dairy products) and that's a considerable amount in total I would think.

Are you going to buy the K2-MK7 to take with the D3? I am. I have been taking D3 but no K2. From what I read you need to take K2 if you take D3 to keep it from hardening your arteries. I read you need to take 180-200 mcg. Andrew's product only has 50 mcg of K2, 50 mcg K1 & 100 mcg K-Complex. I use almond milk, cashew milk & coconut milk. My calcium level is where it needs to be so I'm passing on that.

I wonder if Andrew discusses the reason his has only 50mcg? It may be the the form/delivery method he uses is better. Much of the time higher amounts are recommended because they know some will be destroyed/not absorbed. Not sure if that is the case here. 

He said in his blog he would be discussing his K2-MK7 more in depth in his next online show. Don't know when that will be yet. When he does I will question the amount in his compared to what they say you need to take to see what he says about it.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nightowlz wrote:

@CWS22 wrote:

The studies I've been reading about today have me a little more than concerned about calcium supplements now. I keep seeing over and over again that getting calcium from your diet is fine but when you get it from supplements, that's a different issue.

Apparently supplemented calcium is not as well absorbed by the body and while I know magnesium is supposed to help with that, there still appears to be a real danger of having too much calcium coursing through our system. Some say it can collect in the arteries and harden them or attach itself to plaque in the arteries. And for the excess calcium flowing out through the urine, apparently kidney stones can be the result. For men, an excess of calcium can have negative effects on the prostate.

I would like to see Andrew address these concerns but I can't imagine him doing so as that would probably spook people away - just as it has me second-guessing whether I'll be on board tonight or not. I definitely will be getting the vitamin D3 though as I fully agree there are multiple benefits to keeping that level in the good range.

But the other thing I never considered regarding calcium is the amount of it that's contained in the "fortified" foods we eat every day. Non-dairy milks, oatmeal, breakfast cereals, breads, orange juice, etc. The soy milk I drink every day has 45% of the RDA of calcium in one cup. 45% is a lot, that's 450 mgs.

So all of these "fortified" amounts of calcium we consume are considered supplemental calcium as they are add-ons and not naturally occuring in these foods. Add those amounts to the mgs of calcium supplements a person takes daily. Then add in the calcium naturally occurring in foods (dairy products) and that's a considerable amount in total I would think.

Are you going to buy the K2-MK7 to take with the D3? I am. I have been taking D3 but no K2. From what I read you need to take K2 if you take D3 to keep it from hardening your arteries. I read you need to take 180-200 mcg. Andrew's product only has 50 mcg of K2, 50 mcg K1 & 100 mcg K-Complex. I use almond milk, cashew milk & coconut milk. My calcium level is where it needs to be so I'm passing on that.

FYI Nightowlz - just to correct what you said above about K2-MK7, Andrew said it should be taken if you're taking Calcium. To prevent the Calcium from going places it shouldn't (hardening the arteries, etc.) Vitamin D3 doesn't do that, it's Calcium. So if you're only taking D3 then you don't have to worry about taking K2-MK7.

Per his blog posting:

I refer to it (K2-MK7) as the “traffic cop” for Calcium movement in the body, since it insures that Calcium is effectively utilized and retained by the bones where it is required and not deposited in the arteries where it is not desired. 

Honored Contributor

My current D3 supplement (not ProCaps) also contains K2. That is why I have been using it. 

Respected Contributor

Is that  m.j. leaves on Andrew's tie?!

Honored Contributor

I need to order!

I am getting a bundle with 2500 IU D3 but still can't decide if I should get the biggest bundle or the next size down. The largest would give me 1000 caps/500 days worth of Calcium. It offers 1200 caps/servings of D3. I would take it twice per day so 600 days worth.

Way over a year's worth. Do I really want that much? I think not. I don't care how long the shelf life is; I think that is stretching it. 

So...my alternative is to get the next size down... 600 capsules D3 will be 300 days (10 months). 500 caps Cal/Mag will give me 250 days (about 8 months) of it. Andrew will have more good deals on these. Might not be quite as good but I'm sure it will not be too much more.

Honored Contributor

lol @ the tie comment! I need a close-up peek! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I got the TS & the largest size of the K-2/MK-7.  

Why do I keep thinking I forgot something? 

Honored Contributor

LOL  I don't know what mj leaves look like.  But he is in Jimmy Buffet country.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I ordered the Immune Factors this morning. I caught it in an encore presentation. I had not even thought about it yet but I have used it in the past & never got sick once while using it.

I don't normally get sick & can go years w/o even getting a cold. That said, I have no control over whether or not people come to work when they are sick (and most have the misguided impression that this makes them a a valued employee.) so I want to do all I can to take care of myself.