Honored Contributor

@Jo1313    I also tried Gabapentin several years ago.  I might as well have swallowed M&MS for all the good it did.

I started Voltarin when I ordered it from Canada.  It was stronger and more effective than what we now get in the US.  They took it off the market deciding it needed medical supervision.

I've had several conversation with my doctor about it as it is a NSAID.  She even wrote me a prescription for it so I get it cheaper than the drugstore price....same strength.  She didn't feel it would be harmful.  I also use prescription Lidocaine Patches which give some mild temporary relief.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

Voltaren is an NSAID

My nephrologist banned me from NSAIDS, I was taking 800mgs 2 to 3 times a day.   It was hard to stop.   There were a few times I needed 200mg at night just to get some relief to sleep.

I use CBD creams & gels.   No THC which I think makes it legal everywhere and it really helps.   I also use Aspercream sometimes.  At night I'll take a 650mg acetaminophen then massage my lower spine with the CBD cream.   Then rub what's leftover on my hands.   My spine & hands are the worse for arthritis.

@software    I use Lidocaine Patches on my lower spine for mild temporary relief

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Jo1313 @Kachina624 I don't know of anyone that said Gabapentin worked for them. 

It was recently prescribed to my husband by a pain management doctor.  He told him it would "loosen" the nerves in his legs and if it didn't seem to help him, he could just stop cold turkey.

After reading the side effects and then what could happen it he were to just stop taking it, he decided not to start it at all.

Honored Contributor

• @Kachina624 wrote:

@Jo1313    I also tried Gabapentin several years ago.  I might as well have swallowed M&MS for all the good it did.

I started Voltarin when I ordered it from Canada.  It was stronger and more effective than what we now get in the US.  They took it off the market deciding it needed medical supervision.

I've had several conversation with my doctor about it as it is a NSAID.  She even wrote me a prescription for it so I get it cheaper than the drugstore price....same strength.  She didn't feel it would be harmful.  I also use prescription Lidocaine Patches which give some mild temporary relief.

I can't take NSAID's now, my doc wrote a prescription for Voltaren in it's generic form, hoping my insurer would pay for it.  They didn't.  I use that on my shoulder.  I take Tylenol for my knee when I need it.  I take Gabapentin for my back pain but only at night so I can sleep.  I can't take it during the day because it makes me sleepy.  

Valued Contributor

Gabapentin works for me with my arthritis pain, I have no other pain relief except Tylenol. But it makes me loopy at times. I take the bare minimum. I do find it eases things for a while but it doesn't work when you've been very active and your joints are crying out at level 8-9 pain. No longer can take NSAIDs, my issue is my stomach and intestines. I can do the voltarin gel per my gastro. I am now using Theraworxx magnesium cream and it is the bomb for my muscle pain. I can't it works as well as it does, removed my muscle pain quickly. Just unbelievable. Need to use it daily though, which I don't. Then I get break through pain. 

And CBD makes my pain go away for the first dose but the next day the pain is ten times worse and all my joints ache. I've tried two different "good" brands. Bummer.

Tumeric, the high quality kind, at 2 doses of 500 mg per day helps me a lot. Also SAM-E helps for mood and joints. Two weeks off of both of these and my pain flairs up big time. 

Valued Contributor

PS: Gabapentin doesn't loosen the jointes or nerves, it works in the brain as far as I know. It is used also for epilepsy type disease. It makes me feel happier. 

Honored Contributor

@Growing wrote:

PS: Gabapentin doesn't loosen the jointes or nerves, it works in the brain as far as I know. It is used also for epilepsy type disease. It makes me feel happier. 

Epilepsy is only one use for Gabapentin.  It's also widely prescribed for some types of nerve pain.  It's especially effective for my pain, neuropathic back pain from spinal stenosis. 

Valued Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Some of you remember my recent Afib post.  I appreciate your posts so thought I'd provide more of the story.  I saw the Cardiologist and he switched me from Xarelto to Eliquis.  I see him again after I get the echocardiogram on 8/17. Even he was surprised that was the earliest appointment available.  I'm ok with the Afib stuff but he ran a battery of tests and noticed some kidney strain.  No kidney disease but my kidneys are working harder than should.  So. Now I need a renal ultrasound.  He said it's probably due to all of the prescription meds, otc pain meds and supplements I have been taking for years.  It's a lot for my kidneys to clear.  After the renal ultrasound, a nephrologist will look at everything and then consult with all the docs who are prescribing for me.    Like the Afib this is something else that was asymptomatic and could have had very serious repercussions if it had not been diagnosed early.  

I'm sorry for you, to have to jump through all those hopes. I really can sympathize; I'm in the same boat myself.

Valued Contributor

If it's not one thing, it's another.

Boy, isn't that the truth!

Valued Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I'm glad you're getting things tended to.  Sounds like you have a good and thorough doctor.  Great.  We do have to be careful of too many C in our systems.  They can't talk till they take us down.  So, I think you're doing good on that.  Good luck.

Are you serious? if it wern't for "pills" (are you talking about medications prescribed by doctors?), I would have died of hepatitis long before now. and/or have a 6-month UTI.

Thank you to my primary care phyician, for being alert and ready to prescribe medicine for me when I need it.