Respected Contributor

Re: An odd allergic reaction

I store my clothes each season in those bags that sucks the air out.  But, I wash everything when the season comes to wear them.  I would never wear anything that has been stored all those months without washing.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you use fabic softener on clothing, I'd suspect that for causing an allergic reaction.

Years ago,  I lived in an apartment building with community washers and dryers, and   accidentally used a dryer with a softener sheet left in it.

I got hives so badly that I had to hide my face and body and scoot to a doctor FAST.  Was given a prescription for high-dose Benadryl,.  That drug was so intense that I passed out on my bed for many hours.

Then I fell victim to another dryer sheet ........ same experience.  I learned to inspect machines carefully after I finally recognized what caused the problem.

Since then, I've slept on sheets as a guest at my kids' house that were dried with fabric softener and itched for two days after that.

I hate the slimy feel that fabric softener gives to towels and and other fabrics anyway.  It coats towels so they barely absorb water.  Not sure why anyone uses it, but I guess they have their reasons.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]
@gardenman wrote:

I broke out my winter clothes on Friday with cooler temps and promptly started developing hives on my arms and chest. By yesterday they were really annoying. I reviewed everything I'd been eating and drinking, but there had been no changes. I started wondering last night if maybe it was the winter t-shirts I'd pulled out of storage. I switched from the white winter t-shirts to a recently worn summer colored t-shirt and the hives are gone this morning. Somehow in the four months since I'd last worn those winter t-shirts I seem to have developed an allergy to them. 

I wore those t-shirts all last winter with no trouble. They've been washed in the same detergent as everything else They're the same blend of materials as my summer t-shirts. For some odd reason though they now seem to be making me have hives. I'll give them a wash and see if maybe something allergy-causing had gotten on them in storage, but for now, I'll keep wearing my summer t-shirts under my heavier clothes.

@gardenman 

Dust mites, fleas, lice, or bed bugs.  🤔

Dust mites

11E5930F-CE67-43FC-AEC6-73E9E3B4CEF7.jpeg

139F6A61-DB7C-40B4-9CC0-D0E1F5275BD7.jpeg

81F0BB94-9F4A-462B-B85D-5F1A0A8AF496.jpeg

4442DF5E-3B1F-4AA8-BE94-D6CC95B45AEC.gif

Esteemed Contributor

Had a similar situation several years ago.  I had had the house sprayed for insects and apparently the spray chemicals stayed in the clothes until they were rewashed. 

Wore and outfit that I had worn and hung in the closet but didn't need washing and broke out in hives!  

Had to rewash everything in the closet!