Respected Contributor

Re: An allergy medication that works???

@Desertdi wrote:

@spent2much  have you tried Flonase nasal spray?

@Desertdi  No, I haven't, but it's on my grocery list as of now!  THANK YOU!

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Respected Contributor

I was told when using an allergy med that made me sleepy to take it in the evening or at night rather than during the day. 

Trusted Contributor

I used to take Claritin but it made me feel anxious all the time, so I stopped.  I tried Flonase but it gave me a bloody nose from the irritation.  The drowsy antihistamines knock me out and the non-drowsy antihistamines make me feel like I'm on speed.  I'll have to try elderberry since I'm so sensitive to medications.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@spent2much wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

@spent2much  have you tried Flonase nasal spray?

@Desertdi  No, I haven't, but it's on my grocery list as of now!  THANK YOU!

@spent2much     I DID NOT WRITE ANYTHING ABOUT FLONASE....have NO IDEA how that got there.    I have never used that product.   di

(I think that was a post by @Orchidlover.....)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor

Yes,that was my post. That is weird how it got under @Desertdi's name.  Thank you @Desertdi  for the information about elderberry- I'll check it out 

Valued Contributor

This may not be what you are asking but you probably need allergy shots and then you may not react to the dog any longer. Also clean up your diet because allergies are like a bucket of water. Every allergin we run into puts drops in the bucket. Too much and your bucket runs over and your body goes into fix it mode. Your body is trying to clean the allergy out of your body.

Get two or three very good HIPA filter air cleaners for your house and run them constantly. They will help remove the allergins out of the air. Buy Blue Air brand and look on Consumers Reports online for their most recommended (it costs to join but well worth it). The units sold on HSN and QVC are probably not as good as the superior brands like Blue AIr. 

It would help to get a whole foods diet, lots of fresh veggies and fruits, and limit way way down the sugar and carbs. I am allergic to milk and it is in many medications now as lactose. Probably a binder. So when i take the med every day which one has to, then I have the constant runny nose. I now insist we find alternatives to anything with lactose. I look it up on the NIH. Our bodies can't handle a constant overload of the allergy stuff. So if your area also has the tree allergies now, then the dog allergy and the tree allergy tip that bucket past full. Plus the immune system is so busy fighting the allergies that another germ comes along and takes over because our bodies are not able to fight it off due to the allergy. So take care of yourself and try to find a real solution.

Honored Contributor

Have you thought about rinsing with a saline solution in a neti pot or Neilmed bottle, it clean the allergens out of your nose?  It's easy.

Trusted Contributor

1 tsp of local honey is helping with allergies, if you can find it. Put it in a cup of tea or on a bisquit. 

Honored Contributor

I take an OTC non drowsy med--20mg eveyday and 2 snorts of OTC allergy nose spray----seems I have allergies all year round now--I have a cat but not allergic to her. 

Super Contributor

@Growing ,  excellent advice to o/p.  With your lactose intolerance, do you avoid yogurt? I ask because I had heard/read that yogurt is ok to eat if lactose intolerant; but that makes no sense because yogurt is dairy.