Respected Contributor

An allergy medication that works???

A few years after we became pet parents to our wonderful Golden Retriever, I was allergy tested.  Sure enough, it showed I was allergic to dogs.  My nose runs all day long.

Does anyone use an allergy med. that will help with these symptoms (and also not make you feel like you're in la-la land)?

TIA

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Honored Contributor

Re: An allergy medication that works???

I use ELDERBERRY.   Not a "cure", but it has greatly helped my sinus and allergy challenges.    I have cut my "cold pill" usage about 90%.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I think you have to try a couple of over the counter ones - everybody is different -

one type might help me and not you.

Esteemed Contributor

I've had allergies all my life, including allergies to dogs and cats. I have had four beagles during the past 45 years and I've loved them all. They often made me sneeze, cough, itch, etc. I took allergy shots for decades but they were useless. I recall a discussion I had with the allergist. I told him that the Benedryl or Chlortimeton I took helped me but made me sleepy and that so far I couldn't find a non drowsy antihistamine that helped. He said the sleepier the side effect, the more likely it is to be helpful. So, I use Nasacort up my nostrils once a day and take those sleep inducing antihistamines when needed,if I have no other plans.

Super Contributor

@Desertdi  what form of elderberry and how much do you use?  I have used elderberry and zinc lozenges periodically, not long term.

@spent2much  have you tried Flonase nasal spray?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Love orchids wrote:

@Desertdi  what form of elderberry and how much do you use?  I have used elderberry and zinc lozenges periodically, not long term.

@spent2much  have you tried Flonase nasal spray?

@Love orchids    Best Naturals® -- 10:1 Extract Sambucus Nigra --

5000 mg equivalent (capsules).    Available on Amazon

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Generic Clariten D or Zyrtec D non-drowsy that work very well, but if you have high blood pressure, take those without the D.  D stands for decongestant that may increase BP.

I am also allergic to dogs, cats and many other things so I took allergy injections and they worked wonders.  I'd say effective about 80%.  I still have to take allergy medication at times, particularly in the Spring, and when I'm doing heavy cleaning. 

My Mother also took allergy injections.  Without them, we'd be a mess all year long.

Respected Contributor

I am also allergic to cats and dogs and have always had a dog.  I used Nasonex nasal spray and Loratadine 10 mg - never noticed a sleepy issue.

Loratadine is generic for Claratin and is over the counter.

Recently the company stopped producing Nasonex Spray probably because of the cost, much to my dismay because it worked so well.  My ENT doc has changed me to Fluticasone nasal spray.  We will see how well it works.

Respected Contributor

@KathyM23  Loratidine - that rang a bell with me.  Looked through my stash of meds and there it was - 10 mg.  I'll be trying that tomorrow morning for sure.  THANK YOU!

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Respected Contributor

@spent2much   You also probably need a nasal spray. See your ENT.