Esteemed Contributor

The smile company has opened an online pharmacy. The stock price of CVS Health and Walgreen's dropped yesterday. 

Respected Contributor

When they are part of a Medicare Part D program, I'll consider them along with other providers.

Esteemed Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

When they are part of a Medicare Part D program, I'll consider them along with other providers.

@Cats3000 

They are a in-network provider for most major pharmacy management companies.

I have OptumRx for my Part D Plan. 

Frequent Contributor

As a retired pharmacy technician who still fills in once in a while I cringed when I heard that on the news.  I worked for an independent pharmacy for 37 years and have seen what big corporations can do.  I told my husband that I bet CVS and Walgreens are worried.

One of the main reasons that I liked working for an independent is that we got to really know our customers and always greeted them by their name and many times if we saw them getting out of their car to pick up their order we would be waiting for them at the register with it.  

Pretty soon I'm afraid all we will have left is Amazon and Wal Mart to shop at.   

Honored Contributor

I agree

I use my local independent pharmacy, have for many years.

My pharmacist knows me.   He knows my diagnoses.  If I start new meds, he knows if I'm allergic or if it might interact with other meds I'm taking.   My pharmacist is a twin.  His brother is the pharmacist at the hospital about 4 miles away.   They work together to serve my community.   I  know I will see the same faces every day.  I appreciate them so much & tell them when I'm there.

My daughter is a pharm tech & she prefers the personal service by local independent pharmacies.

I suppose like all other good things, this is the beginning of the end for pharmacies like mine, I'm a dinosaur, time to move on.    Sad.

@DianeFL wrote:

As a retired pharmacy technician who still fills in once in a while I cringed when I heard that on the news.  I worked for an independent pharmacy for 37 years and have seen what big corporations can do.  I told my husband that I bet CVS and Walgreens are worried.

One of the main reasons that I liked working for an independent is that we got to really know our customers and always greeted them by their name and many times if we saw them getting out of their car to pick up their order we would be waiting for them at the register with it.  

Pretty soon I'm afraid all we will have left is Amazon and Wal Mart to shop at.   

Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon Pharmacy

[ Edited ]

The more we move toward the Amazon-type world, the more our local new normal will change.  That change has been underway for decades now and the  pandemic has exacerbated it.

even before 2020, commercial showrooms where I live have sat empty, some for years, and many of those that re-filled have totally different businesses in them.    We have given our consumer power over to the ease of ordering from home to whatever company can shave money off their bottom line and survive.

ETA. Our choices work for us as we make them, but for someone like me who has already lived just shy of 8 decades, the changes our choices are engendering are jarring.  I expect I will miss full and convenient local shopping to my end.

Honored Contributor

Our family swears by our Safeway pharmacy. They know all of us very well, keep us up to date on any vaccines we may need, keep track of all kinds of stuff.

They are only 1.5 miles from my home. I love the whole staff and would NEVER consider using Amazon pharmacy. Never. At. All.

Respected Contributor

My scripts are free. So I'll stick with my current pharmacy. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon Pharmacy

[ Edited ]

You can check prices by entering the name of pill in the search box.

It was going to cost me more through Amazon.

It's cheaper for me to a use a GoodRx coupon for my NP Thyroid.

Amazon Prime customers can also get a prescription savings benefit card to use at up to 50,000 pharmacies, including CVS, Walmart, Rite Aid and Walgreens. This might be preferable for customers who have an urgent need for medication and can’t wait two days for delivery.