Respected Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@Kachina624 

Other than taking pain relievers and applying compresses I have never had a dentist (and I have had many) offer any other solution.

I had a root canal on a tooth last year, that tooth was fine (no root/nerves left) but the teeth around it were sore for 6-7 weeks.  Endodontist had no solutions either.

It is what it is I guess.

Do you floss?  After every meal with a good tape floss like Glide.  And there are these little pic things that you gently pull and press between your gums too.  Those two things make all the difference in the world if you have gum sensitivity.  You can also use a toothpaste that is good to reduce sensitivity.  You could also have a jaw misalignment.  Discomfort like you describe is not normal.
Trusted Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl  WOW!  I thought I was the ONLY ONE who goes through such a tortuous time after dental procedures are done on me!

It's not unusual for me to have sensitivity and discomfort for about 2 weeks, or so, after a cleaning or other dental procedure.

The hygienist does a DEEP cleaning 3X year because I have a history of periodontal problems and my whole mouth was essentially "restructured" with all kinds and types of bridges, implants and veneers in 2013-14.  That's why she's so diligent about making sure she covers any plaque or other perio issues that may be developing.

Last month when I went in I discussed this situation with the hygienist (whom I've seen for 10 yrs) and she went a little "easier" on me and then followed up to see if my discomfort was eased after the appointment.  It was, so she agreed to use that approach on future appointments.

I pride myself on taking very good care of my teeth and gums so hope her more "gentle" approach yields good results!

Valued Contributor

No, your not unique . Everybody reacts differently after Dental Work . Some patients can have a simple filling ,and have discomfort for weeks or even months . Others can have a very large , without any discomfort. Sometimes , a root canal might be needed , after . ( if the filling was deep enough )

Some patients need lidocaine to have a simple cleaning ; however , most don’t. So again, your not alone . Hope your mouth calms down .

Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia    That prescription fluoride toothpaste has save me a lot of money.  If you're cavity-prone, it makes a huge difference. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: Am I unusual? Dental

[ Edited ]

@Abrowneyegirl   I might suggest your using Arnica Montana homeopathic  one day prior to your dental work three times a day...and also on the day you have the work done three times a day......  and also taking three times a day  after  the dental work for about two days.   It helps the body deal with trama( any kind) and dental work is trama to tissues and mouth area and helps with tissue repair. 

these little tablets or tiny pills are taken subliminal under the tongue..let them dissolve...do not swallow whole.

.directions on the bottle on how many to take.  Lots to choose from on Amazon. 

I use this all the time for any dental or medical procedures to expedite healing. 

very safe!  This is a good brand C75141B4-6B53-4CCB-AECF-9523EBD8E08E.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

I use Arnica gel regularly for muscle soreness and it does wonders!

This is the first time I'm hearing about these little pills you describe, but I'm willing to give them a try because the discomfort I go through after dental work is significant.  Thanks so much for the recommendation!

Esteemed Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl I have been recommended Tylenol for dental pain.  It has helped.  I do have high tolerance for pain and have not suffered pain for months though.  I would take the safest pain killer possible for the shortest period of time possible, and modify my diet if necessary.  Taking painkillers for months at a time poses health risks.  I am not a doctor, but it is my understanding that taking Advil poses a greater risk of adverse side effects than Tylenol.  I think I may have even been provided Tylenol with codeine for a day or 2 for dental pain.  Drugs dot com has a good Advil vs Tylenol explainer.

Hope you are pain free soon!

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 you had a 4 hour dental appointment every Friday for 4 years?  What would require this amount of work?

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

I too love Arnica!  I always have the cell salts as well as the topical cream on hand.

For cell salts, I use Dr. Reckeweg brand on the advice of several experts.  I have to admit I find the brand much more effective than Hyland's.  Next time you need to reorder, give it a try.  

Another brand I am going to try is Jackson's.

I (we) only use conventional pain relievers when ALL ELSE fails as there a lot of other options out there.  1 bottle of advil (10-15 ct) lasts me years.  The only thing that makes me break is dental pain.

Be well!

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe    I had tons of fillings redone, many crowns redone or initiated, root canals, etc.  Nothing exotic.  They were off summers and periods when they worked in clinics in small towns. It took about 4 hours to do 1 hr of actual work.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment