Respected Contributor

My tooth/teeth stay extremely sensitive and hurt for weeks after dental work.  I have always been this way.

I recently had a back tooth (the very last one) worked on.  During the appt. very little pain or discomfort.  

It has been 2 weeks and 3 days and that tooth and the 3 beside it are all so angry I can not chew anything on that side of my mouth.  Sometimes the pain is so bad it brings tears to my eyes.  Other times no pain at all.

I expect this to last another 3-4 weeks based on previous experiences.  

Years ago I had 1 molar that was so painful 3 months after a filling my dentist was VERY worried I was going to need a root canal.  Then suddenly at 4 months, the pain was gone and I could chew normally.

Oddly enough- other than dental pain I do not even as much take an Advil for ANYTHING.  I do not take any pain-relievers over the counter or prescription except for dental pain and it is only if the pain is so bad I can not sleep they I take an Advil.

Anyone else have angry teeth?

Honored Contributor

This is probably something you should have discussed with your dentist long ago, as well as the best way to relieve discomfort.  Surely you have? 

When I walk out of a dentist's office, the visit is forgotten. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624  I don't know many people who would say when they walk of a dentists office the visit is forgotten.  You are very very fortunate. 

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 

Other than taking pain relievers and applying compresses I have never had a dentist (and I have had many) offer any other solution.

I had a root canal on a tooth last year, that tooth was fine (no root/nerves left) but the teeth around it were sore for 6-7 weeks.  Endodontist had no solutions either.

It is what it is I guess.

Honored Contributor

I have very sensitive teeth, and of course, I've also had a ton of dental work done.  The periodontal work I had done years ago exacerbates the problem because I now have root exposure which is very sensitive to cold.  They can't even spray those teeth with water when they are cleaning or I'll be on the ceiling.  I have a prescription brush-on product I use after brushing my teeth that helps wtth that, but it takes time for it to work and is cumbersome.  Also, you can't eat or drink anything for 30 minutes afterwards, so I only do it at night, but it does help.  It's called Prevident.

I recently broke a crown and had to have it replaced.  Afterwards, I couldn't chew on that side of my mouth for about 4 months.  I had a cleaning about 2 months in, and the dentist did say it could take 3 or so months for it to settle down. 

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Kachina624  I don't know many people who would say when they walk of a dentists office the visit is forgotten.  You are very very fortunate. 

I would pay PLENTY to have this!  

Seriuosly if they said for $1000 cash you could leave here and be pain free after the novacain wears off-  I would pay it!!  

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl 

Yes, my mouth is extremely sensitive and I do experience the type of issues you've mentioned, but not for an extended period of time.  

Since I've had both knees replaced, I take antibiotics for 3-5 days for any invasive work.   I also rinse my mouth with diluted peroxide before, and 2 days after my dental appts.

I would be rinsing often with peroxide, as well as strong salt water for what you are describing.

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess 

Oh, the Prevident promise.   I have tried several different prescription toothpaste over the years and never had any luck.

I hope it works for you.

Respected Contributor

@RedTop 

Yes to the peroxide rinses!!!!  100%

I also do salt water rinses and a mouth moisturizer at night. (Biotene)

Honored Contributor

That sounds awful! I think some people just have more sensitive nerve endings in their teeth than others and pain in one can have a cascading effect on the rest.   Not sure why people have to be dismissive of another's personal experience because they don't experience it themselves.
Sorry you're going through this.