Honored Contributor

Re: Am I being ridiculous? I’m afraid to eat my baby spinach because there have been so many recalls

I still haven’t had any romaine lettuce.I dont know that I ever will.I had convinced myself to buy some when the first okay was sounded and then that batch was recalled too.I am not feeling as confident as I once did about the safety of our food.

Respected Contributor

Re: Am I being ridiculous? I’m afraid to eat my baby spinach because there have been so many recalls

@Mindy D 

I eat Organic Girl baby spinach, baby bok choy which is really good, kale...salads.  Don't worry unless you have an extremely compromised immune system; in that case cook them.  

Honored Contributor

@DearPrudence wrote:

Afraid of baby spinach? Not me!  I ate raw chocolate chip cookie dough this weekend and lived to tell about it.

@DearPrudence 

Hats off to another fearless woman!   LOL   Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

I would no more eat raw spinach now than I would raw hamburger.  

I would eat raw hamburger if I ground it myself at home, from the inside of a prime roast. 

Honored Contributor

@onlyshopsonline wrote:

Nope, I won’t eat raw spinach anymore. I only but organic, and cook it. 

@onlyshopsonline Organic doesn't make it any safer as far as having bacteria in it. 

Honored Contributor

Organic Girl is back in da house! I also bought store brand so it'll be a toss up. I love a good mystery. Smiley Very Happy
Contributor

i miss fresh spinach and romaine. i am scared to buy either! 

Respected Contributor

I don't worry about it unless there is a current outbreak affecting my area of the country.  I like raw spinach, as well as romaine, and love juicy burger with a nice pink/red center oozing juice.  I figure something's gonna get me and I won't see it coming so enjoy the ride.

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@onlyshopsonline wrote:

Nope, I won’t eat raw spinach anymore. I only but organic, and cook it. 

@onlyshopsonline Organic doesn't make it any safer as far as having bacteria in it. 

@Sooner   Never meant to imply that organic can't be contaminated.  I was just mentioning it because that is all I buy.  However, so many have been quick to point this out.  I guess I should edit my post.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"