Valued Contributor

Re: Am I being ridiculous? I’m afraid to eat my baby spinach because there have been so many recalls

Spinach is very easy to grow. Why not grow your own? And freshly picked spinach has a whole lot more nutrients than stuff that's been trucked all over the country and stored in warehouses. 

Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

Funny, I never thought of myself as a risk taker, but I guess that I am.  Because every day I eat a salad for lunch - and it’s all raw vegetables. I must like living on the edge after all. 

@shoesnbags 

I have salad several times a week ....  just taking a walk on the wild side ...... lol

Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

Funny, I never thought of myself as a risk taker, but I guess that I am.  Because every day I eat a salad for lunch - and it’s all raw vegetables. I must like living on the edge after all. 

@shoesnbags 

I have salad several times a week ....  just taking a walk on the wild side ...... lol

Honored Contributor

Re: Am I being ridiculous? I’m afraid to eat my baby spinach because there have been so many recalls

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

Then eat it cooked.

The issue with leafy greens and recalls is that some many eat in raw form.  Cooking reduces risk of food born illness.

Do this!  The last time there was a recall I had spinach at home but made sure to cook it rather than eat it raw.

Honored Contributor

If the gut and head say no, then you have your answer.  Or, go to their web site and see if you get an "all clear" now after the last recall.

Respected Contributor

I have not bought any fresh spinach since the last recall. I want to but im not sure if I ever will!

Respected Contributor

How many hundreds of millions of people eat raw spinach every day?  How many people actually get sick from eating raw spinach? You have a better chance of being killed in an auto accident on your local interstate then you have of getting sick from raw Spinach.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

If the gut and head say no, then you have your answer.  Or, go to their web site and see if you get an "all clear" now after the last recall.

Neurotic me already went there plus checked all recalls. I’ll probably walk on the wild side. 

Honored Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

How many hundreds of millions of people eat raw spinach every day?  How many people actually get sick from eating raw spinach? You have a better chance of being killed in an auto accident on your local interstate then you have of getting sick from raw Spinach.

I know I’m probably being ridiculous. 

Super Contributor

Get some spinach seeds and grown your own... That solves the problem of bacteria...