Honored Contributor

Am I being ridiculous? I’m afraid to eat my baby spinach because there have been so many recalls.

[ Edited ]

My husband was nice enough to pick up a container of organic baby spinach at Publix. I want to add it to my smoothies but I’m feeling hesitant this time. Last two times he picked up bags of Dole Baby Spinach. This time the spinach is Organic Girl. I checked and there are past recalls from both companies. The recalls were years ago but I’m suddenly feeling nervous about using the spinach raw. Am I being too wimpy?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Am I being ridiculous? I’m afraid to eat my baby spinach because there have been so many recalls

If you are that scared, then wash the spinach.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Re: Am I being ridiculous? I’m afraid to eat my baby spinach because there have been so many recalls

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

If you are that scared, then wash the spinach.

I will but there have been a couple of studies that tested this and there was still contamination with bacteria after washing. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/can-you-wash-e-coli-off-romaine-lettuce-2018-4

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29188050

Respected Contributor

Then eat it cooked.

The issue with leafy greens and recalls is that some many eat in raw form.  Cooking reduces risk of food born illness.

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't go by old information.  I'd eat it.  If you will keep thinking about it, toss it and move on.

Honored Contributor

Most of those who fall ill are usually the,

-elderly

-very young

-compromised immune system

-already ill and/or

-generally poor health.

Only you can be the judge of if you fall within any of these categories

but the majority of us would be just fine if something was contaminated. 

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

Then eat it cooked.

The issue with leafy greens and recalls is that some many eat in raw form.  Cooking reduces risk of food born illness.

I’ll either sauté it or I’ll just take my chances that this package is OK. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Washing leafy greens will not remove the bacteria. Neither will using a disinfecting wash. The bacteria live inside microscopic pores (stomata) located on the leaves which shield them from being washed away.  Best cook it if you are concerned.

Stomata showing bacteria inside it caused from contaminated irrigation water:

images.jpg

Honored Contributor

Spinach is one of the dirtiest veg and is frequently on someones recall list. I will not even touch the stuff

Esteemed Contributor

I LOVE raw spinach in my salads!!!!

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.