Trusted Contributor

I have things I want to do this weekend, as we are finally getting some nice weather, but with all the talk of this awful flu, I’m a bit nervous about being out and about with the public...I did have my flu shot, my health is generally good, but I’ve had the flu a few times in the past and it is brutal...this year the flu seems much worse and apparently healthy people are dying from it...in the past it seems if someone died from the flu they had a weakened immune system or some other issue before they got sick..I do the obvious with hand washing, germ gel, staying away from coughers.  there’s nothing I need to do, just fun stuff, but I feel now like maybe I should just stay home until the worst of this is over...anyone else feel like this? Maybe I’m just getting older and feel more cautious....😏

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Honored Contributor

Re: Am I being a bit paranoid?

No you're not being paranoid just cautious. DH and I both have had our flu shots but I'm wondering how many of these people died had a shot this year. Scary to say the least.

Respected Contributor

We had our flu shots and other than going to church, we are staying in a lot.  The flu is rampant here and we don't want it.  Our children are keeping their little ones at home as well even though they all had the flu shots.  This flu season is the worst we have seen in some time.  Never hurts to be cautious.

Trusted Contributor

I don't even think about it. I go and do what I need to do and use anti bacterial wipes and hand sanitizer after I am out.

I have to go to work each day in a school so there is no way I can hole up in my house and hide until it is over.

My immune system is built up from years of exposure to all kinds of people with cooties. Does not bother me one bit.

If I were sickly, old, or immune compromised, I would probably limit my exposure.

Honored Contributor

We have a funeral to go to today. Another couple we were going with, just declined. They  don't want to be exposed to people who might be sick.

Esteemed Contributor

In my opinion it is NOT paranoid to fear exposure to flu. I too had flu years ago, the one year I didn’t get the vaccine. I almost died and missed a trip to Paris with my husband, who had to cancel his business trip. I always get a shot now, but I know that this year’s vaccine is not entirely accurate. I’ve been home sick with a serious intestinal infection but after I recover I must return to PT for my knee replacement recuperation. I have aleady been thinking about flu exposure there. I’m even thinking of wearing gloves as I use their exercise bike and other equipment. An NBC report on bacteria-infested exercise equipment, this time at health clubs, was a real eye opener, not in a good way.

Honored Contributor

My mother decided she's limiting going out.  If you are feeling uneasy and don't have to go out, don't.  I stay clear of coughing/sneezing people and wash my hands often.

Honored Contributor

Honestly, this is a true concern, and I wouldn't call it paranoid in the least, as I know many people are thinking and saying the exact same thing, including myself and my 81 year old mother.

We are still going out, but we are being more cautious. 

We go out less often (really don't need to be anywhere or do anything so in those times, we just don't go). 

When we do, we are touching less things. Use our winter gloves to open doors in stores, sanitize the carts in the grocery, sanitize our hands at regular intervals throughout the day out, wash hand thoroughly in restaurants.

I avoid movie theaters most of the time anymore, especially in the flu season. The ones around here are getting older and are gross regardless of the flu, but shutting myself in with people that close during a heavy flu season just doesn't seem smart!

When I run errands, I try to go on slow days and at very early hours before a lot of people get out and about. Fewer people in the store, bank, post office etc, the less chance maybe of coming into contact with those that may be sick.

Like all else in life, everything has an element of risk, and you need to go an have fun once in awhile, but I personally have a lot to do at home in the winter, and actually look forward to not running and doing after the busy summer and holiday madness. 

We have to live our lives, but many people go and do even when they don't need to or really want to, because it kind of becomes a way of life. 

I'm ok with being out of the public arena much more this time of year in general, and during a bad bug season especially. 

I don't consider myself paranoid or missing out on anything. Actually went to dinner with family last night at a very crowded restaurant, after a day of running errands. The rest of the week prior, I stayed home and concentrated on my spring cleaning. Balanced enough life for this time of year for me. 

Esteemed Contributor

I had a reaction to the flu shot a few years ago and they won't give me one.

I definitely am staying in as much as possible!

I use SHIPT for my groceries so I don't have to go to the grocery store.  The rest can just wait awhile!

Trusted Contributor

Thanks all for your comments...glad I’m not alone in this way of thinking...I’ve decided to get an early jump on my spring cleaning/organizing...why wait for the weather to be nice, should do it now while I’m inside...I think I will take my big girl for a walk, don’t see many people out and don’t stop to chat so I’ll be good 👍🏻

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it