Respected Contributor

Always Something New at my Primary's Office

You may remember that my primary physician's office was in the lead with electronic recording and recordkeeping (which I hated and declined).

Then came an in-office pharmacist available twice a week. I took advantage of her expertise a couple of times.

Today I was introduced to the new office health coach. She said I could call on her for help with almost any health-related issue. I asked if she could be my drill sergeant to get me to exercise more. She said she could call me every day to ask what I had accomplished. 

To be honest, that sounds horrible. But I might think of something else.

Respected Contributor

Re: Always Something New at my Primary's Office

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

You may remember that my primary physician's office was in the lead with electronic recording and recordkeeping (which I hated and declined).

Then came an in-office pharmacist available twice a week. I took advantage of her expertise a couple of times.

Today I was introduced to the new office health coach. She said I could call on her for help with almost any health-related issue. I asked if she could be my drill sergeant to get me to exercise more. She said she could call me every day to ask what I had accomplished. 

answering the phone could be your exercise!

Trusted Contributor

Wow! I think that's great. It seems your primary is doing all they can to help their patients live a healthier life, I wonder what the patients are willing to do.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Someone is going to call you to remind you to exercise? Really? I feel we are all adults and should have the capability to do this on their own. I'm an avid walker and it takes no effort to get up every day and walk. It's the easiest thing on earth, a task you learned when you were 1. You only have one life...make the most of it...you don't get any second chances.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

You're there to see the doctor, not meet all the new employees that have their hands in your pocket.

Esteemed Contributor

I never heard of a primary office having a health coach. It might work for some people, but you will probably be charged every time she calls to remind you to exercise. The health coach isn't working for free, and those costs will somehow be passed on to every patient. 

I personally would be wary of something like this.  Though ymmv.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Sounds like a good office. Preventative medicine and education can save a lot of money and chronic illness later on.

An electronic patient portal gives you access to information without having to rely on someone else to retrieve it. The information is already there anyway, it just gives you access to it.

An in-house pharmacist is a great resource for both patient and provider.
Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

@PickyPicky3 

Just curious .... if you're retired, do you have traditional Medicare or an Advantage plan?   

In California, I am seeing Advantage plans going above and beyond with services and record keeping to make sure they keep getting the billions from the government to take care of seniors and can show results.   

Honored Contributor

I was just reading about medical & dental credit cards so you could pay off your balance with monthly payments. If you pay off in the time frame they give you say 1 year you pay no interest otherwise you pay 26.9% I think it is???

Now when we go to the dentist or hospital they will be pushing medical cards on you so they get their money now? I would never take one of those cards. Just crazy.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

I was just reading about medical & dental credit cards so you could pay off your balance with monthly payments. If you pay off in the time frame they give you say 1 year you pay no interest otherwise you pay 26.9% I think it is???

Now when we go to the dentist or hospital they will be pushing medical cards on you so they get their money now? I would never take one of those cards. Just crazy.

@Nightowlz yes, the dental offices do it.