Honored Contributor

Make your own! Coconut oil, cornstarch, tea tree oil....boom. Easy, peasy!! Been wearing homemade deodorant for 3 years...no smell!

Trusted Contributor
Arm & Hammer Essentials. It is available at (my local) Wal-Mart for $1.97.
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

Ridiculous statement that it causes breast cancer.

Contributor

would love the receipe for making my own

Respected Contributor
On 1/11/2015 Tyak said:

Ridiculous statement that it causes breast cancer.

Not really…. It just might, at least in some cases.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2797685/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16045991

Aluminum, apparently does have a negative effect on breast tissue. The first article states,"Clinical studies in 2004 reported increased levels of genomic instability in outer regions of the breast in histologically normal tissue [24], which was suggested to result from exposure to genotoxic chemicals in that region [25]. Instability of the genome is an important contributor to genetic changes that drive carcinogenic processes, and in accordance with the cancer field theory could provide a milieu where genetically altered cells would be more susceptible to the development of cancer [5,24,25]."

And also that, "The active antiperspirant agents are aluminium salts - and aluminium has a known genotoxic profile [26,27], and aluminium chlorhydrate has been shown active in the Comet assay [28]. Use of these salts in cosmetics relies on the inability of the antiperspirant complexes to be absorbed [8]. Dermal absorption of aluminium from topically applied antiperspirant aluminium chlorhydrate, however, has been demonstrated through intact human skin of the underarm [29], and aluminium was measured in human breast tissue at greater levels in outer quadrants than in inner quadrants [30]. Clinical consequences arising from absorbed antiperspirant salts were described in a case study in 2004 reporting adverse bone pain and fatigue associated with toxic blood levels of aluminium, both of which disappeared after discontinuing antiperspirant use [31].

Valued Contributor

I use one by Arm & Hammer, that a poster above mentioned. I have used it for years, and it works well. Read the ingredients list carefully though, so you get the correct one.

Contributor
Trusted Contributor

What about antiperspirants? Don't they help you from sweating out and deodorants help keep odors at bay?

Or are you okay with just the deodorant alone?

Honored Contributor

Tom's of Maine. I have been using it for years and it is aluminum-free. I never perspire and really can go without deodorant. That isn't exactly healthy (to never sweat) but that's me. I never had hot flashes during menopause either.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986