Valued Contributor

Does anyone have and use an aloe vera plant?  Is there a proper way to cut off the leaves such that you don't hurt the plant?  When I have cut a piece off before, that particular branch withered.  

Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Aloe vera plant ?

[ Edited ]

Clean knife well.

I use an alcohol wipe, after all this is surgery.

Don't tear the skin. The leaf usually cant recover from tearing the skin downward at the end of the cut.

Open wound on cut edge of plant will seal over, tears won't. 

Best way to avoid tearing the skin is to cut in from one side, stop halfway through. Cut in from the other side of the leaf, meeting cuts in the middle.

If the wound starts to look infected after a few days clean your knife again and make another cut, leaving only healthy leaf.

Valued Contributor

Wow, @x Hedge, thank you!!  You sound like you know what you're doing!  

I greatly appreciate it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Julie_23 read it again,  I did an edit.

Valued Contributor

Got it!  (I just read your helpful edit.)

I'm so glad I asked.  I appreciate your expertise!  (Thanks again.)

Trusted Contributor

my mom used to use the aloe vera plant and i was the one who cut it for her. i simply made a clean cut with a sharp knife at the very bottom of the leaf. no harm done and her plants were always healthy. 

Super Contributor

@freakygirl wrote:

my mom used to use the aloe vera plant and i was the one who cut it for her. i simply made a clean cut with a sharp knife at the very bottom of the leaf. no harm done and her plants were always healthy. 

That's what my mom used to do. She got her plant from my aunt in Florida and loved it. Then one day my cat ate it. She was not pleased.

Trusted Contributor

dfyre, omg that was too funny! not for your mom i'm sure, but it made me laugh 😄

my mom had pots and pots of that plant. she used to rub it on her scalp before she'd wash her hair. what did your mom use it

for? 

Esteemed Contributor

When my father retired he and my mother moved from New York to Florida and would visit me once a year where I lived in California.  Not only did they bring me loads of grapefruit from their trees, but dozens of alo vera plants as well.  My father loved those plants, used them to soften his rough elbows and swore by them.  Everytime I talk about my mother and father the tears start, I  miss them so much.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Trusted Contributor

Aldi is selling aloe vera plants for $3.99 this week in their stores if anyone needs to pick one up. I bought 2.