Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Almost time for my Medicare signup

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@gidgetgh

Medicare has a tool on the front page of the site to help decide which plan to select. I would recommend taking regular Medicare with a Medigap insurance and Part D prescription plan.

I a0m not a fan of Medicare Advantage plans. They maybe in today , but they can be very pricey . The deductibles and co-pays can be expensive. 

I like MAP for two groups. A person getting a plan in a retirement package or someone who is on Medicaid and can get assistance paying. 

The Medicare 2020 booklet can be found on the site as a Pdf to download. 

Kasier Family Foundation Kff. org has a nice website with Medicare information. 

@Nuttmeg - I tried Medicare's site this afternoon. The info on the plans isn't written very well and when you click on the info button on a few of the plans, there is no info.  I was able to click on print to print a few out, but on some of the others, you couldn't print. And when you click to see who offers the plans, there are very few companies listed. 

I'm definitely doing regular Medicare, a supplement and a drug plan,  I'm not interested in Medicare Advantage.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh

The Medicare & You 2020 booklet is pretty well written

We're you able to find it online at Medicare.gov.. 

Can you select the same Medicare insurance provider your

DH uses, with a different Medicare gap plan. You can find your own Medicare Part D Plan. 

Are there any senior citizen services in your area? Where you can find free help finding a Medigap insurance and prescription plan. 

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh  I will also be 65 this year, and it is a bit overwhelming, lots of information....Medicare supplement vs medicare advantage.

There has been a lot of discussion in the past on this subject, and most replies are quite informative.

Just today I did a search here using the the words medicare and or medicare advantage, several pages came up.  I printed a couple of things that helped me understand a little better.  You might give that a try.

When my time comes I have the name of an insurance broker that has helped several friends with their plans, he comes highly recommended.   My dh had assistance from a previous employer picking out his plan and his drug plan....good luck.  I don't know why the government has made this process so difficult to navitage.

From what I understand if you choose a supplement, be prepared to KEEP that plan throughout your life time....I understand it's difficult to change supplement plans.  Medicare Advantage (from what I understand) can be changed from year to year.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee , wow, that's terrible.  You would think your employer would have caught their error and made it right with their employees.

Honored Contributor

I will 65 in Feb and my hubby in May. I am on Disability and my Medicare is set up.

Next week we will be setting his up, he works for the US Govt and will be keeping his current insurance as our supplemental when Medicare starts

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@SilleeMee , wow, that's terrible.  You would think your employer would have caught their error and made it right with their employees.

I thought it was taken care of when I retired. The payroll office informed of the problem and told me to pay out what I needed to get me eligible when I turned 65. So I paid the the deficit in Medicare tax...the amount my employer said I needed to qualify for Medicare. But it wasn't until years later that I found out that amount they told me I owed was not quite enough...only 2 points short. It was their mistake but how was I suppose to know that? Now how do I explain something which happened almost 20 years ago? I hope things can get worked out! @Mom2Dogs 

Honored Contributor

Absolutely DON'T pick your choices by yourself! Talk to a rep and have them help you. I couldn't have done this myself. In fact, when talking to our rep I told him what I thought was a good plan(s) for me..... wrong! I picked plan G and couldn't be happier. My supplimental plan is AARPUnitedHealthcare. I'm so grateful for the outside help in choosing these for my care. Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I looked at the Medicare and you book this morning, online, and printed several pages. Most of it is what I'd found online last night.  I'll read it all this afternoon. 

I walked at our senior center this morning and asked and they are having a 1 hour class in Mid February that I registered for. It's geared more on how to save money on Medicare.  I'm really more interested in the differences between the different plans but I'm sure they'll get into that so I registered for it. 

They also gave me the name of 2 brokers in the area who say they're available to just answer questions. I made it clear that I'll be using the company my husbands former employer has designated for signup. The senior center director said these 2 brokers/agents are happy to answer questions, even knowing they won't be getting any business. 

I have it narrowed down to a few plans I think. I am having trouble though finding out info on which companies offer those plans. 

I appreciate everyone's posts. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ID2 wrote:

Absolutely DON'T pick your choices by yourself! Talk to a rep and have them help you. I couldn't have done this myself. In fact, when talking to our rep I told him what I thought was a good plan(s) for me..... wrong! I picked plan G and couldn't be happier. My supplimental plan is AARPUnitedHealthcare. I'm so grateful for the outside help in choosing these for my care. Woman Happy

@ID2 - I appreciate you mentioning that you're happy with plan G. That's one of the 2 I'm leaning toward so far. 

Valued Contributor

You are much better off with medicare and a supplement.  Go to AARP supplement plans and it is explained.  With medicare and a supplement you can go to any doctor or hospital in this country everyday without copays.  With advantage plans you are more limited.