Respected Contributor

Saw doctor this week and my A1C is 5.5.  My last one was 5.3, but that was with a lot more insulin.  I have lowered the Levemir insulin to 15U for at least a month.

He said to go down to 10U with the goal being OFF insulin at my next visit.  I do take Metformin ER.  I had to pay almost $600 co-pay for the last batch, so it will save me a lot of money - that and the needles.  And he informed me it was most likely interfering with weight loss.

I mention this because it really showed me how weight loss affects diabetes.  Not really thinking much about stopping Metformin, but really glad to stop the insulin.  I still have not gotten on the scale to know how much I have lost, but pretty much.  The numbers play with my head too much.  I cannot do much better, so the numbers won't help, but could hurt.  Hope I can stay the course!

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003  Congratulations!  That is quite an accomplishment.  You lost weight and now are heading for no more insulin.  Good for you.  Enjoy your day.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@hyacinth003   Good for you!!💐

Honored Contributor

Congratulations on the weight loss, 600 dollars for one medicine, that's outrageous.

Honored Contributor

You should be very proud of yourself.  I know how hard my husband had to work to keep his diabetes down.  Weight management is definitely a key factor.  Good for you! 👏👍

Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003 

Always makes me happy to read about something good on this forum, and good for you. Whatever you are doing appears to be what is right for your body, and that is all that counts. I have mentioned here tons of times that being a prisoner to a "weight numbers only" scale, for many is a bad thing. Numbers only mean very little, how one feels about their weight, seems like it would be more preferable to me.

I know very little about diabetes, but I do know that carrying less body fat can lower blood pressure, and is much easier on every weight bearing joint and connecting tissue. I am very happy and excited for you and along with your doctor hope your next visit will allow you to be insulin independent.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

Re: Almost off insulin

[ Edited ]

@hyacinth003  Good for you on reducing your A1C and weight loss !!!!

Trusted Contributor

@hyacinth003 

Congratulations, you are to be commended!

Hope you don't mind if I use you for motivation to do better?

I wish you well & to continue on the path for wellbeing.  Good luck,

Respected Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

Saw doctor this week and my A1C is 5.5.  My last one was 5.3, but that was with a lot more insulin.  I have lowered the Levemir insulin to 15U for at least a month.

He said to go down to 10U with the goal being OFF insulin at my next visit.  I do take Metformin ER.  I had to pay almost $600 co-pay for the last batch, so it will save me a lot of money - that and the needles.  And he informed me it was most likely interfering with weight loss.

I mention this because it really showed me how weight loss affects diabetes.  Not really thinking much about stopping Metformin, but really glad to stop the insulin.  I still have not gotten on the scale to know how much I have lost, but pretty much.  The numbers play with my head too much.  I cannot do much better, so the numbers won't help, but could hurt.  Hope I can stay the course!

Hyacinth

You don't need a scale to trigger or measure your worth. I wish you continued good health!

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Since insulin is an anabolic hormone it is extremely difficult to lose weight while taking it. I applaud your success and clearly your motivation got you to a point where you can get off insulin.

@hyacinth003...I envy you being able to stop taking insulin. I am Type 1 and it is pure drudgery after nearly 50 years of syringes, needles and testing all day long. I hope there is a cure for diabetes for both Type 1 diabetics and Type 2 in the near future.

Once again Congratulations on the weight loss in addition to such a good A1C!!!