Respected Contributor

I just purchased some Almond Milk at Trader Joe's today. I tried it and then added some sweetener to it. I liked it more that way.

I like it because it has low calories, long expiration date, and I can use it in my baking recipes.

Honored Contributor

Re: Almond milk

[ Edited ]

@BExplorer wrote:

I don't drink cow's milk because, well, I'm not a calf. I drink unsweetened plain almond milk, chocolate almond milk, and soy milk.  

When I got off dairy, I no longer needed my two daily allergy medications and my problems with swelling in my face and nasal passages, and hives completely stopped.

@BExplorer 

I remember reading an article years ago about how drinking cows milk was bad for humans.  We're the only mammal that drinks another mammals' milk on a regular basis.  Go figure.

I've tried a couple almond milks but they both seemed too watery.   I haven't had regular cows milk in at least 20 years.

Super Contributor

Cheese head here. No such thing as almond milk. I call it nut juice! Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@BExplorer wrote:

I don't drink cow's milk because, well, I'm not a calf. I drink unsweetened plain almond milk, chocolate almond milk, and soy milk.  

When I got off dairy, I no longer needed my two daily allergy medications and my problems with swelling in my face and nasal passages, and hives completely stopped.

Well, your not a almond either!!

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

Almond milk is all we buy and for years.  I can tolerate yogurt, cheese, and cottage cheese, but not milk. That I seem to be allergic to.  I remember years ago when I fixed myself a hot chocolate with milk, and right away my stomach started to rumble and roar, that was it. Almond milk works much better.  We use it on cereal, oatmeal everything that calls for milk.  Sometimes we buy Coconut milk too.  We drink our coffee black, but when we have company they are fine with Almond milk in their coffee.  I tried making it, but would rather buy it.

Esteemed Contributor

For those lactose intolerant. Also, it's not nearly as fattening as regular milk. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm happy there are products which can, in many cases, be used in place of milk (cereal, smoothies, etc) for those who can't drink milk or can't find lactose-free. But these milk substitutes are watery because... they're mostly water with maybe a handful of almonds. That's why they're fortified. There'd be no nutritional value without that.

Manufacturers may have jettisoned their old tetrapaks in favor of copying the milk carton packaging and even gallon jug packaging, and have these products in the dairy aisle, refrigerated, when there's no refrigeration required until they're opened, but they're not naturally or nutritionally a "substitute" for milk.

What worries you masters you.
Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@BExplorer wrote:

@BExplorer 

I remember reading an article years ago about how drinking cows milk was bad for humans.  We're the only mammal that drinks another mammals' milk on a regular basis.  Go figure.

I've tried a couple almond milks but they both seemed too watery.   I haven't had regular cows milk in at least 20 years.

Exactly @Tinkrbl44!🙂

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@BExplorer wrote:

Well, your not a almond either!!

@goldensrbest An almond isn't a mammal secreting food for its baby; it's a legume and I do eat legumes.  The milk of a mammal is perfect food for its own babies. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was raised in a part Asian family where milk was not consumed. In Japan, where half of me is from, milk is considered to be a body fluid and all body fluids are not consumed over there especially cow's milk. Even breast-feeding over there is discouraged. Things are changing, however, over there and so are their health problems associated with dairy/meat consumption on the rise.