Esteemed Contributor

Re: Almond Milk vs Coconut Milk

I am a coconut lover, but I prefer plain unsweetened Almond Milk over Coconut Milk or even over the Almond/Coconut combo.

Super Contributor

Thanks for the replies. I also talked to my daughter today and she said she likes the combo Almond and Coconut . . . Maybe I'll try it first. I use the unsweetened vanilla which I think is 30 or 40 calories vs. 80 for the sweetened. I did add a tablespoon of coconut oil in my smoothie today until I can get to the store.

I was afraid it might be like Coconut Water . .. even though it is suppose to be healthy and good for you . . . I just couldn't gag it down. I've tried two different brands of it too . . . not sure what the trick is into actually ingesting that stuff or maybe it is just me!!!

Hopefully either Blue Diamond or Silk will have some at my grocery store OR I'll venture to the Earth store . . . unfortunately we don't have a Whole Foods.

Super Contributor

Dr. Oz had OATMEAL MILK on his show recently and the lady from the audience seemed to be enjoying it, LOL.

It looked good, and he said it was available in stores. I don't recall seeing it anywhere, but I think I might look for it. I sure like oatmeal! He said it was very good for your cholesterol, which makes sense.

In Sunny AZ
Valued Contributor

I am a die-hard Almond milk user. Have been for years. And I typically buy the exact brand and kind that you do. I discovered recently that I think it's Blue Diamond that carries one that's coconut milk AND Almond-a blend! It's very good. I have not seen it in the refrigerated section where I get my larger almond milk containers, but they carry it in the shelf-stable aisle at my Whole Foods. Might be a good way to try it first and see if you really like it. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

The newest craze is coconut water. It the perfect hydration fluid, they say. I use it in my green smoothies every day.

Honored Contributor

I LOVE coconut water...but use the fresh from the coconut. It is a high maintenance food however, because once you open the coconut you have to use within a couple of days. I use it not only in drinks, but use it as a base when I make raw sauces and salad dressing (adding some of the meat from the coconut) with it in the blender.

I use both coconut and almond milk (I make my own) depending on what I'm preparing.

Super Contributor

I use the Almond Coconut Milk in cereal all the time, but it's hard to find! I think Almond Breeze is better than Silk.

Super Contributor

My preference is Unsweetened Plain Almond Milk, since I use for all cooking such as sauces and soups as well as in coffee and on oatmeal. You can always add sweetener but you cannot take it away. Coconut milk is real nice for hot chocolate and in curried dishes. We use almond milk, coconut milk, coconut water, or hemp milk in morning smoothies. Hemp milk is higher in calcium than the others.
Super Contributor

Another coconut lover here.....

I used to use unsweetened Almond milk, now just SO coconut original or unsweetened, also love Hazelnut milk. .... tastes great on my daily oatmeal , I like to put a Tsp of unsweetened coconut in the oatmeal after it's cooked , then let it stand for a few min..... {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Trusted Contributor

I purchased the shelf stable almond-coconut milk earlier today & put it in my smoothie a couple of hours ago. I'm now having a reaction to it that includes hives on the back of my left shoulder, red puffy eyes, & a stuffed up nose that won't stop running. The cartons that I purchased will be going back. I just read the label & the product has carrageenan in it, which apparently I'm allergic to. I can drink vanilla almond milk with no problem because carrageenan is not in it, but I can't drink plain almond milk because it has it so apparently plain almond milk is used in the coconut-almond milk.