Super Contributor

I used to like Triludan best, but they discontinued it because people didn't read the instructions, took it with grapefruit juice, and had heart attacks.

After that, I found Claritin was the next best thing, but it wasn't 100% effective.

Then I found that Allegra was the next-generation version of Triludan, fexofenadine instead of terfenadine, so I switched to that. It worked much better for me than Claritin.

And then, bizarrely, menopause arrived and my allergies pretty much cleared up. I don't know if the two things are related or coincidental.

Esteemed Contributor

Clover, I hate to admit it, but I rarely read the instructions on my allergy medications. I should because that's the most medication I take.

I'm so happy I can breath, I don't care what the side effects are.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Valued Contributor

Hi-Yes. Fall is bad for me. Spring stinks, too, actually--but Fall tends to be worse. I have tried all of the big brand OTC 24-hr meds and the one that works the best for me is Zyrtec. Followed by Allegra. But Claritan never worked at all for me. I also used to take Sudafed on a daily basis when my allergies were bad. However, it gave me sleep disturbances (even if taken first thing in the morning) and can aggravate existing (and cause) anxiety in some people. I try very hard to avoid taking it if I can. But sometimes it is the only thing that works. I hope you are feeling a bit better now as some of the fall sufferers are feeling better.

Honored Contributor
YES!!!!!!! AWFUL!!!!
Esteemed Contributor
On 11/3/2014 glmama said:

Hi-Yes. Fall is bad for me. Spring stinks, too, actually--but Fall tends to be worse. I have tried all of the big brand OTC 24-hr meds and the one that works the best for me is Zyrtec. Followed by Allegra. But Claritan never worked at all for me. I also used to take Sudafed on a daily basis when my allergies were bad. However, it gave me sleep disturbances (even if taken first thing in the morning) and can aggravate existing (and cause) anxiety in some people. I try very hard to avoid taking it if I can. But sometimes it is the only thing that works. I hope you are feeling a bit better now as some of the fall sufferers are feeling better.

Hi glmama!

Sudafed dries me out and it works right away. I didn't take one this morning because I didn't want to be in lalaland at work. The symptoms hit when I was at a lunch meeting.

I'm feeling much, much better after a week of Claritan and a weekend of Sudafed. I can breathe!

Respected Contributor

I have bad fall allergies too. I take a benedryl (sp?) at night and use Nasonex (SP?) in the am. It helps a lot but I snore at night too!

Esteemed Contributor

Fast, nights were real bad for me. I would have to sit up and cough the phlegm out of my throat. DH was really creeped out!

Honored Contributor

HB,

Have you used a neti pot before?

Honored Contributor

HonnyBrown,

Fall allergies - me too. Fall = Ragweed and Goldenrod. Spring = Pine.

This Fall is pretty bad. I use Algeria, netti-pot followed-up with aquapure put in nose with a q-tip (GROSS) I know, and my trusty cold water humidifier runs all night.

Also use prescription Beconase HQ spray. A Godsend.

Hope you get relief soon as it is NO fun.

P.S. I lived many years on the DMV-P and my allergies were the best behaved they have ever been due to the Ocean Air. So, take a drive to OC and see if that helps!

Best wishes for better breathing.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Mucinex for postnasal drip, especially taken before bedtime - couldn't live without it! I second the Flonase or other steroid nasal spray for a stuffy nose. My antihistamine of choice is Zyrtec, but when I'm a mess I back it up with Benadryl as well. I have very nasty reactions to Sudafed. I will not take it unless I'm completely blocked with a bad cold. It scares me.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all