Honored Contributor

Re: All I did, was go in for new glasses.........

@Scooby Doo wrote:

It comes down to how it affects your lifestyle.  True, many won't go blind, but it can become debilatating.  If you're a social person who enjoys going out, cataracts will prevent you from driving at night.  You can become housebound.  My Dr. didn't push it on me, he just asked "how is that working for you".  If it's not affecting your life, don't do it.

I often think about car accidents that older people get into.  How many of those accidents were caused by cataracts.

I can't drive at night anymore.  It scares me.  While grocery shopping I can't read the sign that tells me what's on that aisle.  Heck, I can't read the labels on stuff on the bottom shelf. 

I'm not close to going blind, but since I don't have a chauffer and I like to be independent, I think it's affecting my lifestyle.

My Dr. said that everyone over the age of 50 has cataracts.  They're just so gradule that you don't notice the change.They can grow slowly for a long time, then advance quickly.

@Scooby Doo.  I sympathize with you.  I've had cataracts removed from both eyes but still need glasses, especially for reading.  When I went for my annual exam last February,  I was told I have the beginning of macular degeneration.  It was not a big shock as both of my parents had it and were legally blind.  All the doctor could suggest was to take leutin, which I immediately started.  I feel as though I should be doing something to prepare for the inevitable but I don't know what.  I'm alone and have no relatives here.  I avoid driving at night too.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Scooby Doo wrote:

It comes down to how it affects your lifestyle.  True, many won't go blind, but it can become debilatating.  If you're a social person who enjoys going out, cataracts will prevent you from driving at night.  You can become housebound.  My Dr. didn't push it on me, he just asked "how is that working for you".  If it's not affecting your life, don't do it.

I often think about car accidents that older people get into.  How many of those accidents were caused by cataracts.

I can't drive at night anymore.  It scares me.  While grocery shopping I can't read the sign that tells me what's on that aisle.  Heck, I can't read the labels on stuff on the bottom shelf. 

I'm not close to going blind, but since I don't have a chauffer and I like to be independent, I think it's affecting my lifestyle.

My Dr. said that everyone over the age of 50 has cataracts.  They're just so gradule that you don't notice the change.They can grow slowly for a long time, then advance quickly.

@Scooby Doo.  I sympathize with you.  I've had cataracts removed from both eyes but still need glasses, especially for reading.  When I went for my annual exam last February,  I was told I have the beginning of macular degeneration.  It was not a big shock as both of my parents had it and were legally blind.  All the doctor could suggest was to take leutin, which I immediately started.  I feel as though I should be doing something to prepare for the inevitable but I don't know what.  I'm alone and have no relatives here.  I avoid driving at night too.

@Kachina624

Oy, macular degeneration scares me too.  Losing my sight is the one thing that worries me alot.  I just can't comprehend losing my independence.  I guess everyone feels that way.  I don't have it at this point, I'm just very nearsighted.  A friend's mom had MD, and she had injections every couple of months which helped. 

I'll tell you my latest adventure.  In October I accidently cut off the tip of my left index finger.  It was later in the evening, dark outside and raining.  But I had to get myself to the ER.  The glare of headlights is even worse in the rain (you know that), and I had a hard time staying in my traffic lane.  Then I had to find a CVS pharmacy that was open, and drive home.  I was a mess after that, and I haven't been out at night since.  I get my running around done during the day and I'm home by 530 pm. 

I have a trip planned for Vegas in April and I want to be able to navigate.  There's plenty of lights to glare on the strip, and I want to drive.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Scooby Doo.  There are two types of MD and those shots only work on one of them, which happens to be the more rare type.  It's scary being alone and facing these issues.

I think if i had an accident like yours I'd call 911 and ask for their advice.  If they thought it needed immediate attention, I'd tell them to send an ambulance.  If the can ferry drunks around they can help a citizen who's in trouble.  I suppose it was bleeding like crazy.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal

Same thing happened here re my right eye 3 years ago.

Just had eye exam by my favorite optician ever and he said now I need my left eye done, this after I lamented that my left eye wasn't up to snuf with my right eye.  "Well," he said, "that's because the very beginning of cataract in the left eye 3 years ago is now very much more pronounced and you need surgery."  Gah!

I totally agree regarding calendar.  And, on top of that, jammed my right foot into the d........d bed this morning, AGAIN, and am in a walking boot, AGAIN, for the 3rd time within a year.  I cannot believe this...

Honored Contributor

@sfnative, ya gotta quit kicking and taking it out on the bedposts! LOL

Hope you're doing better, shin and foot guards would be good, right? Heart