Honored Contributor

Re: All I did, was go in for new glasses.........

@MalteseMomma wrote:

@qualitygal

You DO know you have a CHOICE, don't you?

You don't HAVE to have it done....

This surgery is MOSTLY optional

@MalteseMomma.  What a strange thing to say, as though people might prefer blindness.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@MalteseMomma wrote:

@qualitygal

@MalteseMomma.  What a strange thing to say, as though people might prefer blindness.

@Kachina624

I said it is MOSTLY OPTIONAL.  MANY  will   NEVER  go blind . Ask your eye dr about it!  Many think if the dr says it ,they  absolutely need it and fail to ask more about it. I don't find that strange,I find it dumb and uninformed!  She said she went for new glasses and now she is facing surgery...........Well look into it.It is optional......maybe  she didn't know this......thats all I'm sayin

Respected Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

it stinks getting old....

C4ADD2FB-05A3-44EA-98C1-E5C8BE7F2350.jpeg

The alternative isn't better for most people.

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal, you probably will not need reading glasses after your surgery, but you might want to pick up a pair of RX sunglasses in case you need a prescription for distance/driving.  I got mine at Walmart and am so glad that I did.  My eye doctor had the prescription put in the glasses, but they were much less expensive getting the frames at Walmart.  I wear them for driving and need the prescription for distance (or at least in my mind I do).  I also have prisms, but that is another story.  I have never felt comfortable with readers that are sold everywhere, but DH loves them.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@MalteseMomma wrote:

@qualitygal

@Kachina624

I said it is MOSTLY OPTIONAL.  MANY  will   NEVER  go blind . Ask your eye dr about it!  Many think if the dr says it ,they  absolutely need it and fail to ask more about it. I don't find that strange,I find it dumb and uninformed!

It comes down to how it affects your lifestyle.  True, many won't go blind, but it can become debilatating.  If you're a social person who enjoys going out, cataracts will prevent you from driving at night.  You can become housebound.  My Dr. didn't push it on me, he just asked "how is that working for you".  If it's not affecting your life, don't do it.

I often think about car accidents that older people get into.  How many of those accidents were caused by cataracts.

I can't drive at night anymore.  It scares me.  While grocery shopping I can't read the sign that tells me what's on that aisle.  Heck, I can't read the labels on stuff on the bottom shelf. 

I'm not close to going blind, but since I don't have a chauffer and I like to be independent, I think it's affecting my lifestyle.

My Dr. said that everyone over the age of 50 has cataracts.  They're just so gradule that you don't notice the change.They can grow slowly for a long time, then advance quickly.

Trusted Contributor

I think my dad had his cataracts removed when he was about 90.  He has better vision than me!  Even with my reading glasses, if a print is too tiny, I have him read it for me.

Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

@qualitygal

Why on earth would you elect to have fogged vision, not be able to see well, and miss out so much of the world's beauty? 

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@MalteseMomma wrote:

@qualitygal

Kachina 624 ; I totally agree. I had to have a corneal transplant as well and I was so nervous about the surgery that I waited too long, and was practically blind in one eye by the time I had the transplant done. The donor material rejected because they could not remove the cataracts due to the size. The transplant had to be redone the old fashioned way (which takes a year to heal) because they could not see well enough to remove the cataracts with the new short cut version of the corneal surgery. I have to say, as well, that the surgeries were a snap - took very little time, no pain, hardest thing was having to lay on my back for 48 hours (for the bubble they use for the corneal transplant (to stabilize the implant). There is no reason not to have cataract surgery that I can think of.Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@MalteseMomma wrote:

@qualitygal

@Kachina624 wrote:

@MalteseMomma wrote:

@qualitygal

@Kachina624  I agree with you.  I am considered pretty young to have cateracts.  I was actually shocked to find out I had them, if truth be told.  My younger sister has them as well.  I can hardly wait until they are bad enough to have the surgery.  I do not consider this an option.  I want to be able to see, as clearly as possible, both day and night.  Why burden yourself with a handicap that is so easily correctable?

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Same here, had an eye exam after about 4 years. Glaucoma, so it is important to have an exam regularly. I had no symptoms at all. Doctor said he won't let it get any worse, so that is the good news. Had laser surgery on one eye, next one in the upcoming weeks. Could have turned out so much worse.