Trusted Contributor

A friend recommended this supplement which is supposed to strengthen bones.  I looked into it but it's pretty expensive.  The manufacturer claims if you do not have a better DEXA scan they will refund your money.

Any experiences?  Thanks!

Valued Contributor

Re: AlgaeCal for bone health

It's sold on Amazon.  There are a number of reviews that might be helpful.

Honored Contributor

@PilatesLover wrote:

A friend recommended this supplement which is supposed to strengthen bones.  I looked into it but it's pretty expensive.  The manufacturer claims if you do not have a better DEXA scan they will refund your money.

Any experiences?  Thanks!

Looks interesting but expensive.  Lots of 5 star reviews from different sellers.  Unfortunately the only way to know if it works if you have regular DEXA scans.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PilatesLover    I have recently started taking it in powder form...a  tsp a day is equal to 1000 mgs... I bought a  package on Amazon. you can buy however much you want... I add it to yogurt, a smoothie or anything.. it has no taste.

Prescribed for Life Trace Minerals | AquaMin (F) Red Marine Algae Calcium & Mineral Complex | Organic Powder Supplement,

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

I'm interested in this.  Is that the name it is sold under?

I tried taking Fosmax and had terrible side affects. 

Looking for something to replace meds.

Thanks.

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@SeaMaiden 

I'm interested in this.  Is that the name it is sold under?

I tried taking Fosmax and had terrible side affects. 

Looking for something to replace meds.

Thanks.

@Witchy Woman  yes...that is the name of the product on Amazon

Honored Contributor

It sounds like it has calcium.  Be very careful about how much supplemental calcium you take because it could be bad for your heart. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PilatesLover, I recently asked an endocrinologist about this specfic calcium supp and she said there is zero "magic" about calcium via algae related to bone health. Her opinion was they have an excellent marketing dept. but that's all. She hasn't steered me wrong on my bone health yet, so I believe her! 

Respected Contributor

@AspenGrove wrote:

@PilatesLover, I recently asked an endocrinologist about this specfic calcium supp and she said there is zero "magic" about calcium via algae related to bone health. Her opinion was they have an excellent marketing dept. but that's all. She hasn't steered me wrong on my bone health yet, so I believe her! 

May I ask what calcium supplement your Endo recommends?  I take CitraCal petites (the reg are just to big to swallow for me) and I only take them if my meal was low in Calcium.  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tsavorite wrote:

May I ask what calcium supplement your Endo recommends?  I take CitraCal petites (the reg are just to big to swallow for me) and I only take them if my meal was low in Calcium.  

@tsavorite, my endocrinologist recommends (for me) 650 to no more than 750 mg calcium citrate daily in supplement form and the rest of my daily calcium intake from food. I take the Citracal brand but she said that any citrate brand is fine. She told me that calcium citrate is the most easily absorbed by the body and has additional benefits compared to calcium carbonate, gluconate, and other calcium types.