Respected Contributor

Now another study saying that as little as  1 drink a few times a week can cause BC.  But they did not state WHY and HOW.  I struggle with this because I am a BC survivor.  Yes I like my drinks  (1-3) in a weeks time.  Yes I feel guilty even though my entire medical team has assured me that an occasional cocktail is not a problem.  I am in good health otherwise.  Good weight, excercise, good diet, don't smoke....I still got breast cancer.  Seems to me that there should be thousands more being diagnosed because of drinking!  How about all the chemicals in our food and water?  That seems problematic to me

So many factors involved and I just can't quite say I'm ok with giving up my cocktails completely.  

Opinions????

Respected Contributor

Re: Alcohol and breast cancer

Thanks for bringing up this topic.  The percentage was small for alcohol being problematic.   My mother and my 1st cousin had BC, and for them, I attribute it to HYDROGENATED FATS.   Always eating cake, cookies, potato chips!   This substance is "not natural" and cannot be metabolized.  For me, since I am high risk, I limited my mammograms...experts say that is too much radiation to tender breast tissue...and radiation causes BC.

I heard about the wine (alcohol) study and had to look it up yesterday ... I wish to share:

Researchers have identified multiple ways that alcohol may increase the risk of cancer, including:

Honored Contributor

I had breast cancer and I didn't drink....tea-totaller. I have read that one drink a day is good for women and preventative in heart disease.....the Number 1 killer of women. After two heart attacks within less than a year, I realize that stress relief is probably a good thing. Maybe a couple of drinks a week would have done me some good.

It does seem that every other week a new study comes out. It is difficult who to believe.

Personally, I think you are fine but just check with your physician in case any medications you take could interfere with alcohol use.

My best to you....

Honored Contributor

My family carries the BRAC ll gene - except my Mom who died in a car crash - every woman in my family back several generations has died from breast or ovarian cancer.  I get my yearly mammos - nothing you can do to prevent ovarian cancer except get them surgically removed. I do what I can to stay healthy but the fact is - you are going to die one day and there is nothing you can do to prevent it. I say live as a good Christian and you won't have to fear dying. I don't want to live to be so old I am senile and a burden on someone who will need to care for me.I also don't want to be so afraid of being sick or dying that I can't enjoy all the wonderful things that are on this earth for our pleasure - like a nice glass of beer or wine , or a delicious meal. 

Honored Contributor

I really don't put much stock on these surveys because in a few months another study will say that moderate alcohol will prevent cancer.

Honored Contributor

If alcohol is an issue, France is in Big trouble!  It may be hard liquor the study is speaking about, as I consider wine a food, something that adds to the dining experience.  

Respected Contributor

Wait another week and there will be another study that says something else. As a BC survivor we cannot not live our lives in what ifs and fear. We are warriors that can overcome anything. I am so tired of people telling me how I should live and what I should do. I am living my life under my terms. I will listen to what others say but it is my ultimate decision and my life. 

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl

If the causes of cancer were truly known, there would be none. Studies are good, but to a certain extent. I put this in the same category as many others. Today this is bad, a month from now it is good.

Two of my 3 older sisters had breast cancer. One died from cancer, but it was liver cancer. She was well past 5 years of being cancer free when it was found in her liver. She died at age 52 from complications of that cancer.

My other sister is now in her early 80's, and like yourself, is a survivor​. Neither of them were/are considered "drinkers", but they did like a glass of wine once in awhile. My oldest sister in her late 80's, no cancer, and she too likes a glass of wine on occasion.

I see many diseases as sometimes genetic, other times I believe one's total lifestyle can be a factor. No study has proven to me than any 1 thing makes you more or less susceptible to certain types of cancer.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

When my Doctor advised me that taking HRT could cause breast cancer, I replied, "So could eating a big juicy steak!" 

She said, "You're stubborn, but you're correct, it could!"

Wonder how it effects men?  They have breast cancer also, you know!

Esteemed Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

Now another study saying that as little as  1 drink a few times a week can cause BC.  But they did not state WHY and HOW.  I struggle with this because I am a BC survivor.  Yes I like my drinks  (1-3) in a weeks time.  Yes I feel guilty even though my entire medical team has assured me that an occasional cocktail is not a problem.  I am in good health otherwise.  Good weight, excercise, good diet, don't smoke....I still got breast cancer.  Seems to me that there should be thousands more being diagnosed because of drinking!  How about all the chemicals in our food and water?  That seems problematic to me

So many factors involved and I just can't quite say I'm ok with giving up my cocktails completely.  

Opinions????

@bargainsgirl  I think 1 to 3 drinks a week would be harmless.  I personally think that worrying about it puts you at greater risk than the liquor.  JMHO  It sounds like you live a healthy life.  Healthy people get cancer.  Put it behind you, get your check ups and relax.  Cheers!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!