Honored Contributor

Re: Akkkkk.....I've got shingles!

This thread was resurrected from July 2011??

Super Contributor

On 12/15/2014 jenstew09 said: I am 40 and get shingles at least 20X a year for the last 21 years. Too young per ALL the Dr. I have seen all these years.It stinks and hurts like terrible. I totally understand your frustration. I am always hoping it will go away and through the last 21 years it mostly only gets on my face. Pretty huh!! Smiley Wink I am always taking the mess and using Bactroban cream. It's hard to find makeup, sunscreens, and beauty stuff for my face that doesn't make it worse. Anyone else had the same please get in touch with me!! Shingles are terrible and it seems over the years I have found that people respond different to all kind of cures and routines. Good luck with a rapid recovery and hope it's a one timmer for everyone if you do get it. Smiley Wink

I didn't realize that recurring shingles were so common. I, too, have recurring shingles for the last 4 years. I've been blessed the past year that I've not had a flare up. I was having them every 3 months. Mine are on my chest and will go up my neck to my hairline. I've used everything out there. Calamine didn't help me as much as Desitin did but I also got a cream for fungal infections that help a lot. Terrible disease.

Esteemed Contributor

I am readin that 'this topic' was posted in June of 2011. I wasn't here at that time.

The medication, for shingles virus is labeled as an antiviral treatment usually started (within) 72 hours, 24 hours would be much BETTER.

1st appearance/shingles rash;the length of an 'ACUTE' shingles attack can be shortened by 1-2 days. I hope that anyone reading this having shingles would be a MILD case.

There are 3 medications: Zoviar, Famvir and Vatrex.

All of thes meds are prescribed by your doctor.

Most people who receive treatment -SOON- will experience relief from pain and heal from its lesions within 3-5 weeks.

To manage: Local anesthetic creams, gels, sprays, or skin patches. Take colloidal oatmeal baths in cool water or apply calamine compressions to the blisters which may help with itc*hing and pain.

Shingles is a peculiar virus and CAN be extremely painful. Also, this virus can BE contagious; bythis, I mean how [ it ] spreads through transmisssion to another person who has never had chickenpox. The shingles virus is spread through DIRECT contact with fluid from the rash blisters. Once the rash is crusting, the person is no longer contagious.

Deltasone/anti-inflammatories. i.e., (predisone) taken with antiviral medication is for a SEVERE case. That med will have to be asked for through your doctor if the lesions and pain become worse. YOU HAVE TO ASK FOR IT. though.

Hopefully I have not duped this info. with previous posts.

_Naes

Esteemed Contributor

I was in my early twenties when I got it.
Super Contributor

I have shingles now too. I've been going thru chemo so my immune system is weak. The nerve pain is the worst side effect that I've had to deal with. Every woman I know of who went thru chemo got Shingles at the end. I have 1 more chemo session and am praying that it doesn't make the Shingles any worse. I use Calamine lotion and take Valtrex. Good luck everyone.
Esteemed Contributor

On 6/28/2011 mima said:
On 6/28/2011 jewelfool said:

I had my first outbreak last August...I'm 57 and couldn't believe the diagnosis. I immediately started taking Aclivor. It helped tremendously although I still suffered. I had three more outbreaks before I could get the shingles vaccine. They told me the vaccine would take care of any more outbreaks for years I've had some neuralgic pain in my side and chest a couple times which I'm told you will have at the shingle sites forever once you have the disease...HOWEVER, I'm having a full blown outbreak right now with blisters and all even though I had the vaccine in December. I'm thankful though that mine episodes don't seem as bad as some I've read about or seen.

Do you eat nuts? I read that nuts and especially peanuts/peanutbutter encourages outbreaks.

I got some vitamin C and some L-lysine which is suppose to help too.

DH just dabbed apple cidar vinegar on them. I should get my shingle cream from Amazon tomorrow. I don't know if it helps, but I am going to give it a shot.

I take 2000 mg L-Lysine daily, will never be without it! It keeps the herpes virus at bay! Yes, I feel badly for you..I had it last January..NEVER want to have that again! Sounds like you're doing all the right things..Tea Tree oil helped w/the itching and quick healing!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

On 12/15/2014 _Not an easy sale said:

I am readin that 'this topic' was posted in June of 2011. I wasn't here at that time.

The medication, for shingles virus is labeled as an antiviral treatment usually started (within) 72 hours, 24 hours would be much BETTER.

1st appearance/shingles rash;the length of an 'ACUTE' shingles attack can be shortened by 1-2 days. I hope that anyone reading this having shingles would be a MILD case.

There are 3 medications: Zoviar, Famvir and Vatrex.

All of thes meds are prescribed by your doctor.

Most people who receive treatment -SOON- will experience relief from pain and heal from its lesions within 3-5 weeks.

To manage: Local anesthetic creams, gels, sprays, or skin patches. Take colloidal oatmeal baths in cool water or apply calamine compressions to the blisters which may help with itc*hing and pain.

Shingles is a peculiar virus and CAN be extremely painful. Also, this virus can BE contagious; bythis, I mean how [ it ] spreads through transmisssion to another person who has never had chickenpox. The shingles virus is spread through DIRECT contact with fluid from the rash blisters. Once the rash is crusting, the person is no longer contagious.

Deltasone/anti-inflammatories. i.e., (predisone) taken with antiviral medication is for a SEVERE case. That med will have to be asked for through your doctor if the lesions and pain become worse. YOU HAVE TO ASK FOR IT. though.

Hopefully I have not duped this info. with previous posts.

_Naes

My husband had shingles while on vacation 3 Summers ago, he was told he could not put anything them, he had to stay out of the sun and was taking Valtrex. It was a mild case yet he was pretty miserable.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

This is a thread from 2011.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

My shingles were not bad at all. But the dr. said since I take so much medicine that probably was why I didn't get them so bad.

Honored Contributor

My Dad got Shingles as a young man, in his twenties. He was under a great deal of stress taking care of his invalid Mother and trying to support the two of them around the time right after the Depression Era. He said there was really nothing the doctors could do to help him relieve the pain, and to let it run its course. He said it was almost unbearable. He never had it again.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*