Honored Contributor

Re: Aging - Changes That Concern You

@jubilant 

See my reply to desertDi!  LOL

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

Hair loss.  Trying to come to terms with having to wear wigs and/or scarves for the rest of my life. 

Esteemed Contributor

Previous posts hit all the ****** I have in old age.

I hate it. I hate having to rely on others to do some things I always did.  

I hate feeling useless. If I can't do it myself why bother, it's only going to get worse.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1   Ha! It looks like all three of us are in the same boat.  No really good options here but one for me.  I told DH if I go first....... do what makes you happy......me, I'm getting a dog. Don't have to look young and beautiful for them!

Honored Contributor

Not aging. Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

As you have aged (60 and up) what changes have you noticed that concern you?  Not small but noticeable physical changes i.e. balance and stability issues, overall weakness, fear of falling.  I just turned 66 and I am going through feeling unstable on my feet.  I am afraid of going up and down stairs.  I just feel so unsure of myself.  

@rms1954 

What have you done so far to help yourself?

Discuss this with your PCP and perhaps some physical therapy appointments are in order.

OR ......  depending on where you live, check out if anyone has introductory or individual PILATES lessons.  Pilates is not too stressful, and was originally developed to help injured dancers get back to their normal ... and balance is a huge part of that.  Even a few lessons could help tremendously.

Super Contributor

@qvcaddition thanks for your inspiring post!  I needed some motivation today.  I've turned 62 this year and I don't feel it physically, but I keep telling myself that I am old and maybe I should not be doing certain things or dressing a certain way.  I am very stylish and love doing fun appropriate things.  People my age keep saying that we are old and foolishly I am beginning to believe their negativity.   Thank you so much for posting that 60 is young. Woman Happy I will also follow your advice and continue to exercise and stay active. 

Respected Contributor

@Azcowgirl   I can relate to that.  Used to be many asked if I was DH's daughter.  He is only 5 years older than me, but I used to look young for my age.  Not anymore, I'm just glad no one is asking me if DH if my son!

Trusted Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

I hate that I'm shrinking!  I started out short, so at this rate I could disappear lol.  I notice that I can't reach things in the same kitchen cabinets I could reach before.  And the last thing I want to do at this age is start climbing a ladder more than I have to.  I bought a couple of those long poles with a grabber at the end and they've been a big help. But it's not fun getting shorter every day.

I feel your pain!  I used to 5'2", now I'm 4'11'.  I'm having the problem with kitchen cabnets where I have hooks to hang coffee mugs. Now I have a problem using the hooks on the back of the second shelf. I have some ladders that have rails on the sides that make it much more stable.  I only use those when I have to. In my closet I used to be able to get by with 2 steps, now I need 3 steps. Things that I use often are within arms reach.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Msfitness 

@Msfitness wrote:

@qvcaddition thanks for your inspiring post!  I needed some motivation today.  I've turned 62 this year and I don't feel it physically, but I keep telling myself that I am old and maybe I should not be doing certain things or dressing a certain way.  I am very stylish and love doing fun appropriate things.  People my age keep saying that we are old and foolishly I am beginning to believe their negativity.   Thank you so much for posting that 60 is young. Woman Happy I will also follow your advice and continue to exercise and stay active. 

Thank you.  You are not old, and I used to get so call friends telling me to slow down when I was in my 60's,70's and even now.  You can't stop the number, but you can stop the negativity. Some were jealous, they didn't care about me, but because they didn't look or could do what i do, they critized.

I have been exercising for 61 years, the age of my oldest son. I have another son who is retiring this Wed from the city.  He doesn't get SS, so he doesn't have to wait for it. 

My 61 year old just got a job at a much higher salary, than the job he worked for so many years and got laid off because he was making too much money and lots of vacation, middle mangement. 

So you see, at 61 he was hired.  It's the persons state of mind.  If you think you are old and listen to people, you will feel old.  Make no mistake, i am in good health and some are not, but you are what you speak and think.

I shouldn't make this long, but I need to tell you, NO AGE LIMITS.  That was the title of the Graduation speech, I gave in 2008.  I was 72 and received a scholarship.  I compeated with a super young group.  My age actually helped because of years of wisdom.

Two women in their late 50's came up to me and said they were not going to continue ,because they thought they were too old.  They said after listening to my speech and seeing me, they are going to continue. Thank God.  There was an elderly gentleman in the audience, who gave me a thumbs up as I was speaking.  Also the city newspaper reporter came up to me and asked if he could print my speech and put it in the news the next day, Sunday.

I am telling you this, because, not only am I proud and bragging, but mainly to let you and anyone who thinks because they reach a certain age, they are done for and out to pasture.  YOU GO GIRL, you can do anything you set your mind to do and forget the negative comments. In fact, one so call friend said, don't you think you need to grow up.  In my speech, I put a funny line in saying, I may never grow up.

Be you.